[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any noteworthy jazz critics? What writers or sites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: cawthra_chp4_12j.jpg (611 KB, 1392x1424) Image search: [Google]
cawthra_chp4_12j.jpg
611 KB, 1392x1424
Are there any noteworthy jazz critics?

What writers or sites opinions do you trust when it comes to jazz? Obviously we all recognize the value of listening to a lot of music to "develop our own taste" but when you discover an artist you'd like to delve into and they have over 50 albums in their discography but you just want to sample some, where do you go to find out which albums you should prioritize?
>>
>>61111580
Allaboutjazz I find to be probably the best publication for jazz reviews. In general, if I find an artist, I listen to their latest probably because that's what I first came across, and if not then just listen to whatever. I find the idea of certain albums in an artist's discography being "essential" to be mostly bullshit. There is the odd "important" album here and there, but if they really are, you'll have no problem nailing down which ones they are and listening to them first.
>>
>>61111580
allmusic user ratings
4.5 or more > always worth checking out
>>
File: ryan schreiber.png (78 KB, 433x565) Image search: [Google]
ryan schreiber.png
78 KB, 433x565
>>
>>61112257
god holy fucking shit
>>
>>61111580
>Sonny Rollins
>Horace Silver
>Thelonious Monk
>Paul Chambers
>Fucking Art Blakey

Sweet Christ, thank you for posting this. Checking it out right now.
>>
>>61111994

I dropped allaboutjazz when they gave the ebin 5/5.
>>
Allmusic has pretty extensive coverage of American classic jazz, so for anything pre-70's that's my go-to place for establishing an overview of what the most noteworthy albums by some artist are and I rarely really disagree with their ratings.

For contemporary jazz, I don't know of a better resource than Allaboutjazz, but I'm fully prepared to disagree on any review they have.
>>
>>61111580
How can jazz musicians release 10 albums per year? Are they just improv or something?
>>
>>61113904
more or less, but no one that I can think of released 10 albums a year. maybe if you count projects as a sideman and live albums, but even then that's not something they keep up with
>>
>>61113904
Most Jazz musicians just improv over other people's songs, so it's not hard.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.