[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been playing Piano for 4-5 years, and was wondering where I should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 224x224) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 224x224
Been playing Piano for 4-5 years, and was wondering where I should start if I want to play Jazz. I am mainly thinking about improvisation. What do I need to learn /g/ ?
>>
>>61103345
get a teacher
>>
>>61103345
get a realbook, know every chord/scale, and listen to some good players. I play guitar but improvisation came to me as I practiced standards.

one exercise that helps is to just play swung 8th note scales on a song, it gives you a good swing feel and you'll begin to notice what sounds good on what chords (hint use a lot of 3rds and 7ths.
>>
bumpd
>>
Find players you like and start listening to them and eventually try to transcribe their improvised solos, this trains your ear and adds more licks to your vocabulary
>>
As well as all the other stuff you do to get to where you wanna be on dem keys, give it as much time as you can.
>>
>>61103345
1. Start listening to a lot of jazz. Find pianists you like and listen to more of them.

2. Theory- get to the point where you can't help but start analyzing any music you see in terms of Roman numerals

3. Start getting very familiar with scales and chord inversions and how voice leading works. Make sure your hands are very comfortable with these concepts.

4. Pick a tune, find a leadsheet and start memorizing it. First memorize the melody, then the bassline, then the harmony. Work on playing it different ways. Listen to all the recordings of that tune you can and find some solos you like. Try and imitate the parts of the solos you like. Transcribe if you can.

There you go, you're playing jazz piano.
>>
>>61110811
>analyzing any music you see in terms of Roman numerals

What exactly does this mean? I've heard people mention Roman numeral analysis and tried to read about it online but I've never really understood the concept.
>>
>>61111061
Autistic nonsense made up by white kids who majored in music so that they could avoid enjoying music.
>>
File: image.jpg (122 KB, 794x927) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122 KB, 794x927
Jazz piano is seriously the pinnacle of piano imo. It's difficult as fuck and only for the truly accomplished players. Learn absolutely everything you can about the basics and don't just jump to it or you will b shit
>>
>>61111241
Haha

>>61111061
Tonal music can be analyzed and summarized with numbers (represented by Roman numerals) relative to it's key center.

In short, you number the chords built on each degree of the home scale. And this allows you to summarize the chord progressions. The other application for this is that thinking about progressions in terms of numbers makes it easier to play music in different keys. The numbers are the same in every key since they are relative to the key center.
>>
>>61111241
>some people actually think this

It couldn't be more obvious that you know nothing about music theory. It's like listening to a virgin talk about how sex is overrated.
>>
>>61103345
What about organ?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.