[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/shugazi/ - Shoegaze (Dream Pop, Noise Pop, and Blackgaze) General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10
File: 40.png (941 KB, 886x886) Image search: [Google]
40.png
941 KB, 886x886
The end of the year is nearing.
Time to post year-end /shugazi/ lists.
>>
What good gaze has come out this year?
All I've heard is Pinkshinyultrablast and Deafheaven. Been a little out of the loop
>>
Top five /shugazi/ releases from top to bottom.
>Pinkshinyultrablast's Everything Else Matters
>Sonic Jesus' Neither Virtue Nor Anger
>Smiling Disease's Beach Bodies: 2008-2014
>If it counts, Deafheaven's New Bermuda, if not, A Place to Bury Strangers' Transfixiation
>No Joy's More Faithful
>>
>>61100851
There was a new Flying Saucer attack album but it's mostly ambient.
Title Fight, the hardcore band, released a shoegaze album.
New No Joy, Astrobrite, APTBS, Helen, Westkust.
There's this Psych band from Italy called Sonic Jesus that made a pretty cool album.
New Creepoid, My Dead Girlfriend, Cloakroom...
>>
>>61101101
>Title Fight, the hardcore band, released a shoegaze album.
interesting
>>
Recent noise pop pls
>>
>>61101510
I've noticed a trend of people who formerly played metal or hardcore starting to make shoegaze or at least blurring the lines.
>Title Fight
>Nothing
>Alcest
>Have A Nice Life

Then you have Deafheaven and any number of "metalgaze" or "blackgaze" acts
>>
>>61104555
>Alcest
Didn't they always have shoegazey elements?
>>
>>61100924
Yeah pretty spot on, but i'd swap 2 and 3
>>
>>61105420
That's pretty agreeable, smiling disease has a much more unique sound.
>>
>>61105283
Well Alcest was a new project by a black metal musician that had more of a shoegazey focus.
>>
File: 543.gif (444 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
543.gif
444 KB, 250x141
>being part of the male gender
>listening to these effeminate genres of music
>>
>>61106492
>being this insecure
>>
>>61106492
TOTALLY BRO! WHAT'S UR F4VORITE PUDDLE OF MUDD ALBUM!?
>>
File: cover.jpg (611 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
611 KB, 1200x1200
>>61100604
Hmmm this is tough because I didn't like a ton of shoegaze this year. Pleas enjoy my commentary

>La Casa Al Mare - This Astro EP
if you guys missed this, check it out, it was quite good and is a pretty long EP. Generic MBV-style gaze, done flawlessly but some Argentinian guy or something.
>Westkust - Last Forever
I thought their EP was ok but I was ready to dislike the full length and boy was I wrong. A bit poppy (someone said "tweegaze") but high energy and consistently good throughout with a handful of great tracks.
>Helen - The Original Faces
Grouper finally has a band and is making some real shoegaze. Super fuzzy and washed out with the trademark vocals. Yay!
>Title Fight - Hyperview
I liked Floral Green even though I generally don't like hardcore. And now they've delivered a surprisingly enjoyable shoegaze album. The effects, the atmosphere, and the musicianship are all pretty top notch.
>Petal Head - Raspberry Cough
I've tried sharing this a couple of times and either nobody saw it or nobody like it. However, I thought it was the best "heavy" shoegaze I heard this year. Definitely better than that Anakin album IMO (although that was pretty good as well).

APTBS Transfixation and PSUB Everything Else Matters are both honorable mentions. Transfixation had some great tracks but I disliked most of the album, and generally like their first couple albums better. PSUB had a great, unique album but my ears just don't quite like the direction they went in. I preferred the EP.
>>
File: a0222325283_10.jpg (99 KB, 800x844) Image search: [Google]
a0222325283_10.jpg
99 KB, 800x844
Clouds Collide perfect for winter
https://cloudscollideofficial.bandcamp.com/album/until-the-wind-stops-blowing
>>
>>61106492
ur right i like swanes now
>>
>>61106492
>being part of the male gender
>>
File: dl[2].png (1014 KB, 886x886) Image search: [Google]
dl[2].png
1014 KB, 886x886
Does anyone have link to pic related?
>>
File: t5673a2403492b[1].png (130 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
t5673a2403492b[1].png
130 KB, 500x502
Ceremony/Screen Vinyl Image - Split
>Shoegaze, Post-Punk, Synth Pop,

https://mega.nz/#!2RZnXRJB!b-lCdrLVyUprA0QwHMSIHmXR-1BYc0Ayu-PxDkhCfDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8TDHgJu4k0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eclg_J_NfU
>>
>>61112069
I sort of just listened to it as an ambient with a couple of more energetic songs punctuating the flow. Most of her music has that quality I've found. So I was just expecting a little less pop and a little more shoegaze and that's what I got. I agree it could have been better but this was a slow year and I still liked the guitar textures. I'm sure people would grill me for putting it over PSUB but they just didn't bring the fuzz and I'm all about certain tones.
>>
Can anyone recommend some really comfy bedtime shoegaze/dream pop? I'm drawing a blank scrolling through my library. Maybe Melody's Echo Chamber
>>
Loop had a new ep this year that I really enjoyed. New no joy was decent

Anyone else disappointed with that Pinkshinyultrablast album?
>>
>>61112829
I liked the new PSUB but I can see why one could be disappointed by it. It does that the noise pop/etherial/shoegaze thing but the focus isn't all in the guitars and vocals, so it has this different quality to it that makes it feel so much different than their EP or most shoegaze
>>
>>61113035
Yeah was a massive fan of the ep, blaster has to be one of the catchiest tunes the genre has ever produced, but the album sounds like a different band to me. Should I give it another spin?
>>
>>61113057
Yeah, I'd say it's worth another few listens. It's an album that doesn't sound particularly different on the surface, but turns out to be made of these really distinct features.
>>
Does playing a guitar solo through guitar rig count as electroacoustic improvisation?
>>
You guys ever heard of My Bloody Valentine?
>>
>>61114278
kek
>>
File: rd-pure mood.jpg (2 MB, 1440x1440) Image search: [Google]
rd-pure mood.jpg
2 MB, 1440x1440
Shoegaze releases of the year, 2015

>Deafcult - Deafcult
>Ringo Deathstarr - Pure Mood
>Velódromo - Velódromo [EP]
>Westkust - Last Forever
>死んだ僕の彼女 - Hades (The Nine Stages of Change at the Deceased Remains)
>>
>>61107806
>>61114850
Haven't heard of a few of these, cool stuff.
>>
>>61106492
I'm gay so I don't care.

All these suggestions are so bad shugazi can't seem to get back on track.
>>
>>61114850
Velodromo is so good man.
>>
File: cover.jpg (2 MB, 2126x1899) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2 MB, 2126x1899
I'll quickly review some shugazi albums I remember the most from this year:

>PSUB - Everything Else Matters
Didn't click to me. Regular, I'd say. I don't know why, I gave it a lot of tries. I guess I can try it again.
>Westkust - Last Forever
Best pop hooks from this year. Great "tweecoregaze".
>Cloakroom - Further Out
Great mix of post-hardcore and shoegaze elements. Underrated as hell.
>Spectres - Dying
Pretty innovative, nice album. Can get boring though.
>My Dead Girlfriend - Hades (etc)
Probably one of the albums that have caught my attention the most this year. Great from start to finish. Very enjoyable.
>Velódromo - Velódromo EP
Fucking great. I'm so proud of being chilean to be honest. We have a great indie scene going around here, very very underground though. A lot of great lo-fi/dream pop/shoegaze bands have been releasing albums this decade. Velódromo is one of them. Can't wait for their LP (probably next year?)
>Tamaryn - Cranekiss
Got very very disappointed, had a lot of expectations from this one...
>Flame - Arrecife/Trances
Another GREAT chilean shoegaze band. They've released two EPs, one in 2012 and another one in 2013. Now they decided to mix them into one album. Flows so perfectly, great shoegaze-influenced alternative rock. Probably my chilean AOTY if it weren't for Patio Solar (dream pop)
>Weed - Running Back
One of my favourite alternative rock bands to come out this decade, and what's better, with a lot of shoegaze influence as well! They released an album back in 2013 called Deserve. Fucking 10/10. Running Back is great also, but lacks the impact that Deserve gave to me.

A lot of albums I haven't heard yet, also just noticed that some of my favourite shoegaze artists have also released albums this year (Adelaida, Nameless Coyote, etc) so.. ughhhh.
>>
My Top 5 AOTYs are:
Cloakroom - Further Out
Title Fight - Hyperview
My Dead Girlfriend - Hades
Pinkshinyultrablast - Everything Else Matters
Astrobrite - DELUXER

fite me bitch
>>
I can't believe I never listened to this before, It's beautiful.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.