[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are they worth listening too?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: rolling_stones_85229.jpg (25 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
rolling_stones_85229.jpg
25 KB, 425x425
are they worth listening too?
>>
Absolutely. I'd say start with Beggar's Banquet and keep going until Exile.
>>
>>61089672
Sounds good man. I have let it bleed, sticky fingers, and exile on main st downloading at the moment, i'll add beggars banquet.
>>
>>61089717
Those four are really all you need.
>>
>>61089726
Hahah good to know... Looking at their discography is a bit overwhelming at first :P
>>
>>61089779
If you want the rest of their hits like Jumpin Jack Flash and Start Me Up you're probably better off just picking up a compilation album.
>>
>>61089858
Cool. I'll keep that in mind once I work through those 4 albums. Thanks for the advice buddy!
>>
if you don't like exile on main st you probably don't like music
>>
>>61089672
this is objectively correct. tattoo you is worth a listen as well but it's not god tier like those other 4
>>
>>61089726

> implying you don't need 12x5 am Now! (Stones No. 2 for you britbongs)

You will never hear white men playing better blues and rock&roll.
>>
>>61089779
I'm a huge fan. But not everything is essential. I'd say add in Aftermath and Some Girls. If you like them add in A Bigger Bang and It's Only Rock N' Roll (Essentially: Just more Sticky Fingers).

After that, well, it's up to you if you want to listen to more.
>>
>>61089948
Agreed. I'd argue that Some Girls is their best release outside of the golden four.

But their singles are still amazing, they had better singles than The Beatles
>>
I've been trying to listen to Exile since I was 12 and i still havent listened to it fully because i hate it that much

im 20 now. maybe today is the day
>>
>>61090022
Just listen to Sticky Fingers. Exile is great, but I think it's a bit congested
>>
>>61089983
Sticky Fingers is flawless. Let It Bleed is also great but Mick Taylor's out of this world leads just give Stick Fingers that extra edge
>>
Goats Head Soup isn't bad either, came right after Exile so they're still prime
>>
File: 1405664.jpg (41 KB, 350x367) Image search: [Google]
1405664.jpg
41 KB, 350x367
pic related is god-tier live material, check it out after you've gone through the studio albums. Flowers and Emotional Rescue also have some good tracks, but not as good as the others
>>
>>61089647
Absolutely, they're one of the world's greatest bands for a reason.
>>
>>61089726
don't listen to this OP.

Aftermath, Between the Buttons, and Their Satanic Majesties Request are great albums. they also have many worthwhile singles outside of that (19th Nervous Breakdown, The Last Time, and Satisfaction for example)
>>
The stones are one of those bands that are either fucking absolutely incredible or horrendously terrible. Just dont ever listen to Their Satanic Majesties and you should be good
>>
I had one of the Story of the Stones tapes a few years back and that shit was in my tapedeck nonstop a few years back driving around.
>>
>>61092294
what exactly about Satanic Majesties do you find "horrendously terrible"? have you actually listened to it?
>>
>>61092357
Sing This All Together (both songs), Gomper, In Another Land (sorry Bill) are all horrible
>>
Everything from the first album up to Let It Bleed is essential, as that was the Brian Jones Years, then after that, people will debate weather or not it's worth listening to. As far as I'm concerned The Rolling Stones never put out a bad album, but a majority of their post Some Girls material (Post 1978) is either hit or miss with me. I wouldn't tell anybody to turn off a RS album no matter which one it was, though.
>>
File: exile.jpg (463 KB, 1482x1500) Image search: [Google]
exile.jpg
463 KB, 1482x1500
Exile on Main Street is all you need. It's the perfect blues-rock album.
>>
>>61092420
Wow, I have never encountered a poster on /mu/ that has listened to/mentioned anything by them post-Tattoo You. Great to see one. I agree with you, maybe those later albums are objectively not that good and are not as good as the earlier albums, but I have grown to really love them during the years. It's hard to choose one, but Voodoo Lounge would probably be my favorite of the later ones.
>>
>>61092412
No.
>>
>>61090022
i always loved exile just because it felt like their loosest, roughest album. not the most emotionally driven or "badass" but the most unrestrained and raw. in my mind its like they tried to make a tom waits album in the overall aesthetic and additude
>>
Why no one has mentioned his Their Satanic Majesties Request ?
>>
>>61092498
it's been mentioned.
>>
>>61089647
no.
>>
>>61089647
yes x10000
>>
>>61092498
because low-tier
>>
The Rolling Stones are a terrible band. Their music is hack bar band crap. They think pouting and being jaded is cool. Fuck the Rolling Stones.

Wait, Charlie Watts is totally not crap. I like him. He is actually awesome.

But the Rolling Stones are crap.

I have never been more baffled by a band's popularity than by the Rolling Stones. The Doors: Okay they're crap, but I can at least imagine why girls or gay men would like them. And college students.

Same with the Smiths. It's crap, but I can understand the appeal to journal-writers and teenage closet cases. And the Chicano community.

But the Rolling Stones baffle me. What is there to like about this tepid, undistinguished lowbrow mediocria?

Crap crap crap.
>>
>>61092281
Seconding what this guy said. Satanic Majesties Request is essential.
>>
>>61093881
Somebody needs attention.
>>
>>61094746
Possibly medical.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.