[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your favorite song by him and why. Is he better than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: Phil_Elverum_green_shirt.jpg (2 MB, 2401x4181) Image search: [Google]
Phil_Elverum_green_shirt.jpg
2 MB, 2401x4181
What is your favorite song by him and why.

Is he better than Jeff Mangum or not?

Was he better in The Microphones or Mount Eerie?
>>
>>61086589
>What is your favorite song by him and why.
Headless Horseman
http://pwelverumandsun.bandcamp.com/track/headless-horseman
his best melody, and I love how it's one of the few songs that's just completely pared down: no bonus effects or instruments, just him+guitar and touching lyrics
>Is he better than Jeff Mangum or not?
I've never cared for Mangum.
>Was he better in The Microphones or Mount Eerie?
eh idk. they're on par desu.
>>
>>61086589
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxlG9u8TQ4A
this GOAT underrated song
>>
Mount Eerie with Julie Doiron and Fred Squire > Mount Eerie > Microphones > Jeff Mangum
>>
>>61086638
man that's a beautiful song
I expected it to be satirical but goddamn I love Phil
>>
>Favorite Song
Probably No Flashlight parts 1 & 2, or Turmoil. I really love how intimate everything sounds in No Flashlight (album), and Turmoil has that glorious heavy distortion on acoustic guitar.

> Phil v. Mangum
Phil. He's just a flat-out better musician and personally I think he's a better lyricist.

> Microphones v. Mount Eerie
Ehhh..... for me, Mount Eerie. He's released so much good, and differing, shit as Mount Eerie. Microphones is fantastic but i'm glad he branched out.
>>
OP here.

Am I the only one who thinks this is awesome?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kChGBKuJt6Q
>>
Oh, man...hard choice. For now, I'd have to go with "IV. Mount Eerie". Mirah's harmonies are spectacular, everything the Precipice Carolers does on that song is great, and the part after Big Black Death is simply chilling.
Can't really say confidently, seeing how I haven't dug that deep into either of them yet.
Microphones, solely on the strength of the trilogy. Even though he's given us plenty of good-to-great songs in the past ~6 years, Wind's Poem was the last great ME release imo.

>>61086726
>Mount Eerie with Julie Doiron and Fred Squire
Isn't that just Lost Wisdom?
>>
>tfw you remember absolutely hating The Glow Pt 2 when you first listened to it, and yet Phil is now the only musician you value enough to buy music from
>>
>>61086764

>personally I think he's a better lyricist

I could give you better musician, but he isn't a better lyricist. Not even close.
>>
>>61086814
Yes and Lost Wisdom is the best thing Elverum has been a part of (though many of his albums are still top-shelf)
>>
Have any of you ever met a Hipster-qt3.14 girl that likes his music?
>>
>>61086944

He's pretty well-known at this point with indie types, you could probably find one.

If you did 80% chance she "found" him from her last bf.
>>
>>61087011
I am that last bf
>>
>>61087011
In the part of the city I live in, everyone except my close friends (like 5 people) and I are into music that isn't Drake or The Weeknd, so...
>>
>>61087070
if you know everyone in the city you don't live in a city
>>
File: clear_moon.jpg (563 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
clear_moon.jpg
563 KB, 1000x1000
>Favorite song
Through the Trees pt.2
It might just be my favorite song ever.

>Better than Jeff
I like NMH, but Phil is a fantastic musician and song writer.

>better
I don't really see them as different entities. If I had to choose one I'd pick the Microphones though.
>>
My favorite track by him is I'm a pearl diver (off of song islands). I don't know why, but that song's always gotten to me.
>>
>>61087114
you didn't read when I said "part of the city"
>>
>>61087156

Not that anon but who even cares.

I can't deal with most indie these days anyway it all comes across as so dull.
>>
>>61087070
nobody fucking cares
>>
File: a1084248096_10.jpg (302 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
a1084248096_10.jpg
302 KB, 1000x1000
Fav album
>>
So, when's he gonna release his next album? I heard he's going on a hiatus or something but I'm not sure
>>
>>61086589
IV. Mt Eerie. I just haven't had any other song take me on a sonic journey of that proportion, it combines every single thing I like about music into one song. The freak folk jam at the end with Little Wings is beautiful.

I like him more but I'm nowhere near as familiar with Jeff's not Aeroplane works.

The Microphones, I think. Being a naive 20 year old gave the music so much exploratory value and it seemed to be a bit more sprawling sonically.
>>
>>61087648
Sauna's barely a year old...
>>
fav song: Solar System https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwCk0truaXY

also best album

He's better than jeff mangum cause he still puts out 10/10 albums and the worst thing he put out was a 7/10 to me, while Jeff Mangum put out 2 10/10 lps and fucked off into history.

I like The Microphones more as a collective of albums, but technically Mount Eerie is an extension off of The Microphones so it's more or less the same for me.
>>
>>61086632
you know he has a whole album which is just vocals and a guitar right?
>>
>>61089596
which one my friend
>>
>>61086589
>Favorite song
i can't belive you actually dead
Oh Anna
the moon
>Jeff vs Phil
Phil
>The microphones vs Mount Eerie
The microphones vs Neutral Milk Hotel vs American Football
>>
>I Want Wind To Blow
>Yes
>uhhhhh, The Microphones

he's the best, though. love this guy
>>
>>61086865
Agreed
>>
>>61089642
guessing that anon meant Dawn
>>
File: Hannah-Arendt21.jpg (364 KB, 1600x1358) Image search: [Google]
Hannah-Arendt21.jpg
364 KB, 1600x1358
>>61086589
>Pale Lights
>Phil
>Mt. Eerie
I guess you could say I didn't "get" Microphones.
>>
File: classicphil.jpg (69 KB, 700x701) Image search: [Google]
classicphil.jpg
69 KB, 700x701
posting comfiest documentary you'll ever see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_cyoShzpMc
>>
>>61089642
Checkout the Live in Copenhagen album, highly enjoyable and charming 2 hours of just Phil and his guitar.
>>
I like his comic strips a lot better than his music, honestly.
>>
File: iwh.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
iwh.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
This album is better than The Glow Pt 2.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.