[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Looking at putting together a sound system, is this reciever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: h580TX8050-F[1].jpg (15 KB, 555x312) Image search: [Google]
h580TX8050-F[1].jpg
15 KB, 555x312
Looking at putting together a sound system, is this reciever any good? So far I have a U-Turn Orbit Plus and an Art DJPre II picked out, I haven't looked at speakers because i'll probably just use headphones for now

halp /moo/
>>
Have that exact receiver, never had any problems with it.
>>
>>61085082
how's it sound?
>>
>>61085044

I recced this to a buddy. Great price/performance.
>>
Its fucking terrible get an old one
>>
>There are people that pronounce /mu/ as moo
>>
File: dumb weeaboo.gif (1 MB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
dumb weeaboo.gif
1 MB, 400x267
>>61085656
>>
File: image.gif (16 KB, 400x179) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
16 KB, 400x179
>>61085044
My biggest recommendation is to get a good phono preamp. I have the NAD PP-1 and its fucking great, so much better than the built in shit on my Onkyo tx8211 receiver. The NAD PP2 is out now.
>>
>>61085044
do you need a receiver? only get a receiver if you're hooking it up to a TV or whatever.

otherwise an integrated amp should be superior
>>
>>61085044
Have you considered a Music Hall turntable? I have the mmf-5 and its amazing. The mmf-2.2 is around the same price as the uturn orbit plus.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 992x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 992x455
>>61086976
I have the MMF-2.2, super solid and great sounding turntable. Pro-ject tone arm is really nice, music hall magic 2 cart sounds really good. It's $299 on Amazon right now.
>>
>>61087073

is that a Pro-Ject tonearm
>>
>>61087281
The tone arm is a pro-ject 8.6.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 1500x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 1500x1200
>>61087412
It's actually a pro-ject 9 tone arm. The red one looks sick.
>>
>>61085720
kek
>>
>>61086976
>>61087073
i haven't looked at those, are they much better?

i really like the acrylic platter so that's probably influencing me a bit
>>
>>61085044
if you are using headphones don't waste your time on a receiver

the Schiit gods will set you free
http://schiit.com/
>>
>>61087917
I plan on buying speakers as soon as possible, actually what I listen on right now is a pair of IEMs so really not an ideal set up
>>
>>61087997
ah, in that case id hit up your local craigslist and watch for a good deal on a decent integrated amp (they can be had i found an Onkyo Integra a9911 for $80 on fucking Oahu) and spend the bulk of your budget on the best speakers you can afford
>>
>>61088060
The amp is probably going to be a christmas gift so i've got about $400 of my own to spend on speakers
>>
>>61088148
don't buy wharfedales, the most overrated speakers there are
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 829x365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 829x365
>>61087874
They are basically made by sumiko (pro-ject), the better tone arm is worth it over the orbit for the same price.'You can always pick up the rega glass platter or an acrylic platter for it also. Either way both are great turntables.

I like the look of the glass on my mmf-5
>>
>>61088148
Check out energy speakers. Excellent for the price.
>>
>>61088213
was thinking just some basic bookshelf speakers and maybe a sub, it'll just be in my dorm/room at home

>>61088219
if the tone arm is better then i suppose i really can't go wrong for the same price, although this one isn't belt driven, right?
>>
Check pawn shops and your local craigslist for good vintage stuff. You could find old gear that will sound better and often underpriced. Id lurk audiokarma for a while before purchasing
>>
>>61088318
if you are going to spend money on anything, make sure to get GOOD speakers. they are by far the most important part. it's a good idea to go and listen to some different ones as well, so you can get ones that sound the best to you in your price range

When I bought nice speakers earlier this year I would have been sorely disappointed if I ended up with what suggestions there were on the internet. I ended up getting speakers that I'd never even heard of before but totally loved the sound
>>
>>61088318
Both are belt drive.
>>
>>61088375
I have a garrard dd75 sitting in the basement but it's phono cords are all rusted and the kenwood reciever is fucked too, too much hassle honestly
>>61088387
Definitely going to listen before I buy, but good recievers seem hard to find under $300 or around that so I'll probably end up spending the money anyway
>>
>>61088434
So there really is no change other than a better tone arm? I guess I'll look into those tables
>>
>>61088464
is there any particular reason why you're getting a receiver?
>>
>>61088504
Yup, better tone arm and cart. Check out some reviews, many people really like the mmf-2.2. The belt drive is under the platter on it, so you can swap out the platter with any acrylic or glass platter you want, if it fits a pro-ject or rega table, it will work on the mmf-2.2.
>>
>>61088464
You can find some nice receivers for cheap at goodwill, I picked up a denon for $20, the thing is in mint condition and works perfectly.
>>
>>61088545
I plan on buying speakers, but now that I think about it I feel like the better option would be to just get a headphone amp and a good pair of headphones. I kind of like listening through headphones better anyway. Speakers can always come later I guess.
>>61088558
Awesome, thanks anon.
>>
>>61088375
Audiokarma is a great resource. I bought
my Athena as-f2 speakers based on recommendations from there, the are great. Unfortunately they are not made anymore, but the parent company Energy makes some really nice speakers.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.