[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pleb here. How do I get into Jazz? I enjoy listening to it,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: biden.gif (1 MB, 453x301) Image search: [Google]
biden.gif
1 MB, 453x301
Pleb here. How do I get into Jazz?

I enjoy listening to it, want to built a nice collection and knowledge and impress bitches and coworkers.

But where do I start?
>>
File: 1443469862729.jpg (65 KB, 490x616) Image search: [Google]
1443469862729.jpg
65 KB, 490x616
http://www.muessentials.com/search/label/Jazz

If you seriously don't have any jazz albums, try Kind of Blue by Miles Davis you pleb.
>>
>The best way of receiving recommendations on /mu/ is by making conversation with people in threads and then just asking what they would recommend. Most people will be willing to drop you a few artists or albums to look up.
>>
>>61073428
Just start lurkin Miles Davis albums and branch out from there. He's worked with everyone worthy of listening too

Sun Ra is essential
>>
Nobody's gonna be impressed by your ability to differentiate between cool jazz and post-bop.
>>
>>61073536
Is Sun Ra really essential? It's definitely interesting and fun, but I wouldn't say everybody who is into jazz needs to listen to Sun Ra.
>>
>>61073657
>I wouldn't say everybody who is into jazz needs to listen to Sun Ra.
>>
>>61073669
Listen to once or twice sure, but I don't think he's one of the essential jazz musicians that you need to have in your library. I do, but I don't think it's essential.
>>
>>61073657
His brought a whole new perspective to what jazz music was. Coltrane saw them live and had his "a ha" moment when Gilmore solo'd. Don't discover jazz through mu because it will fall short. Sun Ra was a legend and highly influential in many ways
>>
>>61073763
>Coltrane saw them live and had his "a ha" moment when Gilmore solo'd

Source
>>
>>61073763
>highly influential in many ways
to whom?
>>
by participating in the /blindfold/ threads every Monday
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.