[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If this is your Album of the Year you're as big of a meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: To-Pimp-a-Butterfly.jpg (134 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
To-Pimp-a-Butterfly.jpg
134 KB, 640x640
If this is your Album of the Year you're as big of a meme as Kanye.
>>
whats your aoty
>>
File: 60484.jpg (39 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
60484.jpg
39 KB, 450x450
>>61071213
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with being a meme.
>>
File: 1439175292485.jpg (16 KB, 255x138) Image search: [Google]
1439175292485.jpg
16 KB, 255x138
>>61071229
>personal information
>>
>>61071242
...what about personal informations?
>>
>>61071265
you're giving person information about your album of the year, why would you do that?
>>
>>61071285
lmao
>>
>>61071229
and whats your criteria?
>>
>>61071337
Whether it's good music (innovative, interesting, profound)
>>
>>61071229
>preferring electric shit over our generation what's going on
k then
>>
>>61071345
How is it profound?

What tracks am I listening to here?
https://soundcloud.com/gaborlazar/mark-fell-and-gabor-lazar-the-neurobiology-of-moral-decision-making-2015
>>
>>61071351
>preferring trendy Complex shit over legitimately good music
>>
>>61071367
>legitimately good music
you're describing it as if it's the only good music.
>>
>>61071365
Try listening to the full album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9p4qxu7vm8

It's a lot more profound in how it shifts the minimal sounds rhythmically in order to achieve a large effect with very little material.
>>
>>61071367
>legitimately good music
>literal alarm clock core
pick one

this is some seriously awful shit right at about the 6 minute mark
https://soundcloud.com/gaborlazar/mark-fell-and-gabor-lazar-the-neurobiology-of-moral-decision-making-2015
>>
>>61071351
That's an embarrassing comparison. Guaranteed that Kendrick will fall off. He thinks he has the mindshare of black people, but he doesn't. He has the mindshare of the privileged whites of the music world.
>>
>>61071229
While very interesting, I found that this album had a very disappointing lack of range. There is variance in structure but after a while I get the feeling that this is the only type of music the artists are capable of making, not a small selection of their musical capabilities. I still like it but for that reason I can't put it in my top 10.
>>
>>61071381
I can tell you that TPAB isn't good music, it's good marketing and money making.
At this point I wonder if rappers get signed, they walk in studios, and the execs say "OK we're feeling this album should be something really jazzy and funky. Make it about social justice too, our demographics love that"
>>
>>61071229
this is beyond fucking retarded so I'm stopping but thanks for trying anyway
>>
>>61071388
Post your AOTY.
>>61071395
The whole thing about the music is that it's minimal m8.
>>
>>61071400
What's your AOTY? TPAB? Those in glass houses...
>>
>>61071405
of montreal

anything but minimal so again criteria
>>
>>61071413
of montreal

tpab is #2 though

and it annihilates that fucking horseshit I just endured but again to each their own
>>
>>61071414
Dude did you listen to the album? The music is incredibly minimal most tracks have only like 1 looped sound.
>>
>>61071390
>Guaranteed that Kendrick will fall off
nope, he's going to be in the library of congress in the next 10 years, remember as the great legend in hip hop
>>
>>61071405
I know that, I'm not averse to minimal music, but when every single song uses the exact same sounds and effects it gets tedious listening to the whole album. It loses the initial punch and blast of "hey this is really interesting!" and just meanders on the same idea throughout. No new ideas are presented other than rhythmic ones, and honestly there are more interesting albums for rhythmic experimentation than this.
>>
So many redditors are getting offended and confused it's embarrassing
>>
>>61071430
no, of montreal is anything but minimal. so again we could just chalk it up to criteria differences.

seriously this right here is already showing your lack of reasoning skills so I'm actually gonna stop right here.
>>
>>61071438
I guarantee that you don't know what you're talking about and are just bullshitting right now. You don't know shit about experimental music faggot.
>>
>>61071438
Again I'm not saying it's a bad album, just that it's not AOTY material in my opinion.
>>
>>61071425
holy shit taste
>>
>>61071454
If you have any arguments as to why this is in fact the album of the year, I would love to hear them! And I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I'm genuinely interested in what I might have missed about this album.
>>
>>61071489
whats your aoty
>>
>>61071497
I made them but then your reply was "those things you said are WHY it's not great" whih is the resort of bullshitters
>>
>>61071345
Is the new aphex twin ep not more innovative? Has that been done before with acoustic instruments to that extent?
>>
>>61071502
either Tigran Hamasyan - Luys i Luso or Barter 6
>>
>>61071443
When was this thread about OM tard? I've never talked about the worst E6 band. Stay on topic
>>
>>61071523
again there's your lack of reasoning

yeah the topic is aoty genius
>>
>>61071522
>Tigran Hamasyan - Luys i Luso
just in time for christmas!
>>
>>61071514
Well, first of all, all you said was "the whole point is that it's minimal" which while a fair point, isn't very enlightening.
Look, I get that it's a deconstruction, and it's intentionally minimalistic. I don't mind the minimalism at all, I'm not arguing that they should add more bells and whistles to make it more catchy. All I'm saying is that while this minimalism and sharpness is incredibly refreshing and interesting in short bursts, it gets tedious to listen to for a whole album because they use the same techniques and sounds in every single song. Of course it serves a purpose, but there is a flaw inherent in that approach, and that is its resulting impenetrability. The concept is great, but it doesn't serve long listening sessions well is all I'm saying.
>>
>>61071517
please respond
>>
>>61071517
>>61071580
It's not innovative at all, grow up kid.
>>
>>61071212
thanks internet guy
>>
>>61071592
When was that been done before with acoustic instruments to that extent? How is this mark fell album more innovative?
>>
>>61071609
It's more musically inovative, not gimmickaly innovative. Don't confuse novelty with innovation.
>>
>>61071609
1. John Cage, Lou Harrison, plenty of people you fucking idiot.
2. The Mark Fell album actually plays with the composition and aesthetics instead of thinking "HEY ILL EMULATE JOHN CAGE AND GET ALL THAT SWEET SHIT PITCHFORK MONEY"
>>
>>61071623
>John Cage
for example?
>>
>>61071639
Sonatas and Interludes this is basic shit
>>
>>61071684
any particular moments? Its an hour long and I'm not hearing anything like the aphex twin ep so far.
>>
>>61071692
The entire fucking thing is prepared piano, keep listening.

It's not my fault you don't know one of the most entry level avantgarde pieces of last century, listen to it and learn something kid.

Have a nice day.
>>
>>61071701
>The entire fucking thing is prepared piano, keep listening.
so what? Are there any other similarities? the aphex twin ep is very far from innovative because it features some prepared piano.
>>
>>61071701
This guy, just wow.
Oh, and Squarepusher famously did the robots controlling acoustic instruments before RDJ.
>>
>>61071736
>Oh, and Squarepusher famously did the robots controlling acoustic instruments before RDJ.
ty

what did you think of his new album? that was this year right?
>>
>>61071692
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26K9f8n6ymU

ten minute mark is kinda similar
>>
Really been enjoying TPAB alot since May, Garden of Delete has been pretty cool too. Going to check out whatever the fuck >>61071229 is when I get some downtime in a bit here.

I'm not saying TPAB is AOTY tier, but it seems like /mu/ and everyone can't stop talking about it or making threads on it. Good or bad posts, if this album wasn't relevant there wouldn't be 5 threads on it a day. We would've all forgotten this by now.

Even David Bowie said the album inspired him when making Blackstar and his upcoming album.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.