[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey is there anybody here who knows theory well? I'm just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: fender modern player mustang.png (484 KB, 1600x495) Image search: [Google]
fender modern player mustang.png
484 KB, 1600x495
Hey is there anybody here who knows theory well? I'm just having a hard time with borrowed chords. i understand using chords from a parallel minor. so trying to exercise this i decided to pick a song i thought does this but i ended up more perplexed. the song is inmates by the good life.

it uses Dmaj Bbmin Bmaj Amaj and G. I've been trying to figure out what key its in/ what chords are being borrowed as well. any help would be great. also if not just a gear thread? this is my Mustang.
>>
File: 300x300.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
300x300.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
shameless self bump!
>>
sounds like it's Dmaj, Bbmaj (which would be the borrowed chord), Bmin, Amaj, Gmaj

it's in D. Everything other than the Bbmaj is in the key area
>>
>>61067598 cont

the sound of the "borrowed" chord is the sound of the modulation in the very beginning, the very first chord change
>>
>>61067598

to spell it out, if you need a mechanical way of determining the key area, you could take all the notes in the chords and see what scale they correspond to.

Dmaj = D F# A
Bmin= B D F#
Amaj= A C# E
Gmaj= G B D

or D E F# G A B C# = Dmajor scale

Bbmaj = Bb D F

Bb and F are both out of the key area

TBHFAM it's best to learn this stuff as relative pitch.

Dmaj = root
Bmin= vi
Amaj= V
Gmaj= IV

and Bb would be bVI

you do it relative and it don't matter what key you're in anymore, you learn the sound of a borrowed bVI chord FOREVER MANE
>>
>>61067746
ah so their using the relative minor?
>>
>>61067917

Bmin is the relative minor of Dmaj, yes
>>
>>61067746
wait so you can borrow a bVI (a flat major sixth) how does it become flat and a major. sorry if this is a stupid question. its just that google isnt answering much
>>
>>61067962
ahhhhh! omg thank you it all makes sense now. is it common to have a bVI in music? its just sounds so chromatic i thought this was totally beyond me
>>
>>61067746
OP wrote Bb min and B maj, you're mixing them up

the progression is
I - bvi - VI - V - IV

the two chords out of key are Bbmin (bvi) and Bmaj (VI). i really don't know how this progression works or where those chords are coming from. Bbminor is the relative minor of Db major, so there is some chromatic thing going on that i don't understand.
>>
>>61068082
no my bad i fucked up its actually Bmin then Bbmaj
>>
>>61068082
but i guess im still kind of confused. you can make it a flat 6 major because...?
>>
>>61067973
>wait so you can borrow a bVI (a flat major sixth) how does it become flat and a major. sorry if this is a stupid question. its just that google isnt answering much

If the key is D, then Bb is the flat sixth, or the bVI. The sixth is B, so half a step lower would be a flat sixth. It's major just because it's a major chord.
>>
>>61068082
>>61068128

this is not the theory champ who's helping you out.
>>
>>61068192
okay. so kind of like using a bIII in a progression?
>>
>>61068225
sorry senpai
>>
>>61068241
>okay. so kind of like using a bIII in a progression?

It depends on the mode. Some modes have a bIII, some don't.
>>
File: tips.jpg (12 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
12 KB, 203x200
>>61067307
>theory
>>
>>61068266

i actually went over and plunked a D on my guitar to make sure.
>>
File: 1447395194786s.jpg (4 KB, 125x110) Image search: [Google]
1447395194786s.jpg
4 KB, 125x110
>>61068289
>>
>>61068174
bVI is from D minor, it's a parallel minor borrowed chord
>>
>>61068420
>bVI is from D minor, it's a parallel minor borrowed chord

theory guy here. no it's fucking not. lol
>>
>>61068433

actually theory guy back, yes it fucking is, kek
>>
>>61068433
yes it is...

the VI of Dmin is Bbmaj, take that Bbmaj and put it in a D major and it becomes a bVI
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.