[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/mu/ suddenly hates Colors What happened, there was a time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (114 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
114 KB, 1440x1080
>/mu/ suddenly hates Colors

What happened, there was a time when /mu/ constantly went on about how great it was
>>
>tfw you'll never browse 2011-era /mu/ ever again
baka
>>
>>61066287
>tfw you'll never actually browse the erra when it was actually ok to like things on /mu/

At least the metal generals aren't total shit yet
>>
File: 1386043735012.jpg (711 KB, 2048x1364) Image search: [Google]
1386043735012.jpg
711 KB, 2048x1364
I don't care what /mu/ thinks. I still love Colors.
>>
>>61066308
everything you love now will eventually die
trust me on that
>>
>>61066314
me too.

It'll probably be one of my all time favorites forever desu
>>
>>61066308
Been here since 08. It's always Been like this. There's just less ITAOTS and MPP.
>>
>>61066249
I've never seen straight up hate for Colors desu. It just doesn't get talked about much
>>
>>61066341
>less ITAOTS and MPP
good
>>61066353
it used to be mentioned in almost every thread a few years back
>>
>>61066353
I've seen a lot of hate for it. As of late though, although it could have something to do with that intolerable spork meme that's been plaguing this board
>>
It is a legendary album
It's just that it's hype over the years has gone sour and now it's a meme to hate it
>>
Wait, since when? I love that album. I love pretty much all their albums actually. Seeing them play the album live is still one of the best shows I've ever been to.
>>
It's an album that leaves a phenomenal first impression but slowly falls apart the more you listen to it. Once you listen to it so many times you realize the album is just a bunch of disjointed ideas that flow together really well. It never really goes anywhere.

It's still a good album no doubt, but many bands have done this sort of thing so much better
>>
This is now a BTBAM circle jerk thread.

Post your favorite anything that has to do with them
>>
>>61066451
i fucked you're mom to Colors
>>
>>61066499
I actually took my girlfriends virginity to Colors
>>
>>61066308
Metal general sucks now. It's all just whining about djent and deathcore while circlejerking about the same melodeath albums over and over again.
I wish it was NBBMN, there was some proper discussion and new music discovery in those threads.
Also, Colors is probably one of the few good metalcore albums that borders on deathcore.
It's fucking great.
>>
its spork-core
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-0j9T5GM2A

The quality of live BTBAM videos on yt is shockingly decent considering what they're recorded from.
>>
>>61066539
>That borders on deathcore

Would tech, death be more appropriate?
>>
>>61066540
>A band can't experiement with different moods and tones without being "spork-core"

I want the memesters to leave
>>
>>61066425
>It's an album that leaves a phenomenal first impression but slowly falls apart the more you listen to it.
This is exactly the opposite of my experience with this album. I hated it the first few times I heard it, then it turned into one of my all time favorite albums.

>It's still a good album no doubt, but many bands have done this sort of thing so much better
You aren't thinking of Dillinger, PtH, or ETID are you?
>>
>>61066565
Tech death would be very appropriate, but remember, deathcore is metalcore with death metal infusion. Tech death metalcore is still tech deathcore.
Doesn't matter anyways, BTBAM are probably the only good band in this section of the genre.
>>
>>61066603
>forcing a band into this specific of a genre label
is this fun for you?
>>
metalcore might just be the most underrated genre of all time.

There's so much great stuff, it just gets overshadowed by all the shit.

That being said, most of the good metalcore bands tend to either have a lot of proggy bits to them or are heavily influenced by other genres so maybe it's that that makes them good
>>
>>61066603
I always thought that tech. death pretty much just meant "good deathcore"

Anyways, for all intents and purposes, BTBAM is progressive metal. It's just a lot easier that way
>>
>>61066603
>>61066671
Whenever I think of tech death I think of bands like Necrophagist. Maybe my view is just skewed.

>Anyways, for all intents and purposes, BTBAM is progressive metal. It's just a lot easier that way
Pretty much this.
>>
>>61066671
Current BTBAM is definitely prog metal, I agree with that entirely.
>>61066705
Necrophagist is certainly a good example of tech death. Remember that there are also a lot of non-standard tech death bands like Gorguts and Demilich. They don't necessarily play 32nd notes at 220bpm but they're technical all right.
>>61066634
No, but watching you get angry is.
>>
>le genre wankery

Is this all that metalfags talk about
>>
>>61066705
When i think tech. death my mind kinda goes to shit like Born of Osiris and Skeletonwitch
>>
Doesn't parallax 2 do everything that colors does, only better and more effectively? Lay your ghost to rest and telos>bloom is some of their best work ever.
>>
>>61066735
>le genre wankery

Ok, lets talk about the fantastic everything else to do with the album instead then
>dat atmosphere
>dat 10/10 drumming
>All those moments where you close your eyes and you can feel the music taking you different places

It's just a good album, anon
>>
>>61066743
Born of Osiris are shit tier deathcore. Here, try on some proper tech death for size.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1X0Bejwnko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeYStyDDGEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjs6KvmGoMM

>>61066785
This desu.

>>61066773
Nah, Parallax 2 feels slightly overpacked with ideas. For me at least. I think Colors and Misdirect are their opus(es).
>>
>>61066578
you may as well listen to mr bungle album

the mike patton esque vocals kill me along with the genre changing
>>
>>61066773
Depends on how you feel I guess. Parallax 2 is really good, but the idea don't flow together as well imo.

However they were much more techincal with their writing however it didn't feel forced and showoffy like Dream Theater, so that was nice
>>
>>61066814
BoO fag here

I love The Faceless, so are we cool?
>>
>>61066840

I'm not that big a Faceless fan desu, I just think they're a prime example of modern tech death. They're good but don't really stand out for me.
Tbh BoO have some definite talent, I think they could work well as a metal band. But they need to fucking drop the deathcore and djent stuff, they would be such a good tech death band.
>>
t3h genr3 changing album of do0m!
>>
PtH fag here

Want to get into BtBaM, don't know where to start.
Tried to listen to colors but the american spelling pissed me off, so I didn't listen to it and every time I try to play the album in winamp i see the god damn spelling and start to see red, effectively ruining the listening experience for me.
>>
>>61066906
no u
>>
>>61066885
I really only like The Discovery in all honesty

I feel like we've talked about this before at some point
>>
>>61066921
just how autistic are you my man
>>
>>61066921
>This autism

If it bugs you that bad, listen to Alaska or The Great Misdirect
>>
>>61066921
kek
Try The Great Misdirect.

>>61066947
I tend to pretty much attack all deathcore on sight so yeah, there's a pretty good chance that we've met before.
From what I see most people regard The Discovery as their best. It's good by deathcore standards but the chugga chugs do end up annoying me more than they should. Just a personal thing.
>>
>>61066921
>Tried to listen to colors but the american spelling pissed me off, so I didn't listen to it and every time I try to play the album in winamp i see the god damn spelling and start to see red, effectively ruining the listening experience for me.

thats funny as fuck
>>
>I don't like genre blending
>Must be spork-tier then

I want /tv/ to leave and take their memes with them
>>
>>61066921
This cant be a real post nigga what
>>
>>61066249
revered albums on /mu/ is associated with the board culture at that time. As new members of the board migrate over here, they want albums discussed here to be there "own" therefore the old /mu/core gets replaced with the new until the old is forgotten about. After this happens the old can become the new again, and vice versa.

Q-Tip said it best
>well daddy don't you know that things go in cycles
>Way that Bobby Brown is just amping like Michael
>>
>>61066921
If you think that's bad, wait til you find out how they pronounce "buried."
>>
>>61066980
The Discovery and Chelsea Grin's Evolve EP (don't hate me) are really the only deathcore albums I've like, although I haven't really explored the genre very much (I should though, I'm told underground deathcore is actually pretty fucking sick).

I've been meaning to check out Whitechapel and Job for a Cowboy because I've actually had a lot of people on here tell me they're worth a listen.
>>
>>61066991
theres genre blending and then there is bungle-core genre blending

guess which one isnt good
>>
>>61067060
what are you even trying to say.

Just sounds like your parroting what some epic memester said to you
>>
>>61067019
I've heard the american pysdo-pronunciation of many words. Truly makes me ponder how they manage to hold onto the world's riches like david bowie but cheeks clinches
>>
>>61067050

>whitechapel
>job for a cowboy
Oh lawd, stay away from that. There's deathcore which is bad by default and then theres deathcore which is actually legitimately fucking horrible and endless chugga chugga whine whine. Whitechapel fall under the latter. Job for a Cowboy start out shit but they turn into rather decent proggy tech death on their third album.
Just pass by their first two for JFAC and you're good. And stay as far away as possible from White fucking Chapel.

I haven't heard any underground deathcore yet, I've never really enjoyed the genre enough to go there.
If you enjoyed both Chelsea Grin and BoO have you heard Veil of Maya? Both bands are related to that group and they do a djenty deathcore thing too.
>>
>>61067182
Lots of people have recommended me them too and I just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyways, after asking about Whitechapel I decided to check them out on a whim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpSd-cCcpCs

I was honestly really digging the intro riff they had then everything went to shit. What a shame.
>>
>>61066249
BTBAM IS LOVE, BTBAM IS LIFE
>>
File: TGM.jpg (185 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
TGM.jpg
185 KB, 600x600
>>61066249
pic related is better твн but i love em both honestly
>>
>>61067303
OP here

for some reason I've always had a hard time enjoying TGM, something about it just bores desu.

I'll give it another listen sometime though.
>>
>>61067257
This intro riff isn't half bad, it's pretty decent, I can dig it.
Then chugga chugga chug.
And the lyrics are godawful, christ.
Even worse is how fucking obvious the vocal overdubs are. They couldn't be bothered to make it subtle. huh?
>>
>>61066773
>>61066820
>>61067324
>>61067303
My rankings

Colors > TP2 > TGM > TP > Alaska > S/T > TSC > CE > TAO
>>
>>61066637
This
>>
>>61067325
How do you feel about The Devil Wears Prada?

I've had Zombie EP constantly playing for the past week or so now
>>
>>61067385
They really suck desu. The epitome of bad deathcore.
>>
>>61067360
Why did people hate TAO

I thought it was a fun as fuck cover album
>>
>>61067401

Although I will say, their Zombie EP is possibly the only good thing they've ever done.
The rest of their work sucks dick though, don't go near it.
>>
>>61067413
Who said I hate TAO? I love it. It's just last place for obvious reasons. Also, if you want to get down to it, Dustie's guitar tone on Alaska and TAO is questionable at best.
>>
>>61067401
>deathcore

uhhhh

Anyways, I've had a lot of anti-metalcore fags really dig them for some reason. I'm pretty into them too.

Admittedly their first to albums were pretty horrendous, though?

Have you listened to Zombie EP? I know a lot of people who can't stand that band that liked it
>>
>>61067324
not that guy but it's easily second to Colors
Disease, Injury, Madness is one of their best songs and Desert of Song sets the atmosphere for the whole album and lets your ears rest. Obfuscation is good but can get annoying. Fossil Genera is a cool concept but you have to be in the mood for it. And Swim to the Moon is all over the place like White Walls but it has some fantastic drumming and melodies.
>>
>>61067456

Oops shit, they're melo metalcore right? Fuck, keep getting all these genres mixed up.
Yeah, as I said earlier Zombie EP is infinitely better than their other stuff.
>>
>>61067432
I loved that space EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECzvF3oAW68
>that atmosphere
>that breakdown

I actually almost busted a nut when I heard this for the first time.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I've always considered TDWP to be much better than your typical metalcore band
>>
>>61066249
Colors is what got me "into" BTBAM
After what could probably be hundreds of playthroughs the album always gives me a chubby.
Its such an important album for the band. It moves slightly more into prog than Alaska while still being heavy.
White Walls still gives me endorphin rushes.
I most recently saw them live on the Coma Ecliptic III(saw them on the first as well with a meet and greet) Informal Gluttony and Sun of Nothing was killer.
Colors is like their Dark Side of the Moon( Cover art aside) its an album where they moved into their next phase as a band, with Alaska as a stepping stone.
>>
>>61066814
>The Faceless
You know what I can't stand about PD is that they took what I think is the absolute best riff on the entire album and made it the shortest song.
>>
>>61066544
>@2:23 Thomas starts a clapping for the transition to the next part of the song.
>the crowd replies with the most off beat clapping
>Paul keeps playing like they ain't even there
damn...
>>
>>61067514
This isn't as whiny as I expected, although the lyrics are slightly cringy.
I do think the instrumentation is pretty decent though, the ambient elements are nice.
>>
>>61067530
>The next phase of the band

Too bad with Coma Eshitdick that next phase is right now the shitter.

You know how at their shows they do album playthroughs?

Yeah, there's a reason they don't do it with this one
>>
>>61067590
Yep, I was there, and I noticed that too. In fact every time I've seen them live that happened at some point. Like Viridian leading into White Walls.
>>
>>61067594
TDWP was never whiny, well maybe in their first few releases.

I will admit, most of their stuff a do consider to be "good for metalcore" except for Zombie and Space EP which I consider "good despite being metalcore"

I'm genuinely convinced if they were able to make something without producers breathing down their necks they could make something truly remarkable
>>
The only good thing I can say about metalblade records is they definitely give their artists as much creative freedom as they want.
>>
I started to like this band after they released Coma Ecliptic. I liked CE a lot when it came out and checked The Parallax 2 again and loved it, loved it so much i checked out Colors and thought it was weaker, i stayed obsessed with TP2 until i heard TGM and currently i think those 2 are their best albums. I also think CE is not as bad as most say and most people is just butthurt because of the change in style. I'm excited for their next album.
>>
>>61067683
>I'm genuinely convinced if they were able to make something without producers breathing down their necks they could make something truly remarkable
I agree with this, they seem to have the right amount of talent that's required to be a great band. They just need some artistic freedom.
>>
>>61067613
Coma is noticeably less heavy and guitar driven, which I dislike.
Between their Coma Ecliptic I and III tours they have basically played the entire album but Dim Ignition/Rapid Calm/Option Oblivion and Life in velvet, which yes is like half the album.
They stated that the album would move away from typical BTBAM. It was a "concept" album.
I think they totally could do and should do a playthrough of Coma.
I still enjoy the album even though its not my favourite. They tried something different. I hope they go back, but it wouldnt surprise me if they didnt. Either way Btbam will always have my support
>>
>>61067711
Ever listen to their first three albums? If you think there were people who bitched about the changed from TP2 to CE...
>>
>>61067711
>>61067772
Wasn't CE actually supposed to be a rock opera?
>>
File: a2425002537_10.jpg (989 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2425002537_10.jpg
989 KB, 1200x1200
>>61067803
ya no kidding, holy shit this is nothing compared to that.
I still dont understand the hate when Alaska came out nor the hate now that Coma is out.
Do people honestly expect a band to not change in 15 years? If you hate progression from an Artist listen to AC/DC or something generic.
>>
>>61067953
Its what they said ya.
>>
>>61068035
CE just wasn't very good, I'm welcome to changes in sound.

It had a few tracks I really really like, just it all felt underwhelming to me
>>
>>61068035
I actually agree with you, CE still being my least favorite of theirs (besides the covers album). I think it's more that people don't want them to go in certain directions rather than not go in any new directions at all.

But then again nobody's ever clear about what directions they want their favorite bands to go into. They just complain when they don't like it. Or maybe they don't want BTBAM to change at all and just rewrite Colors every 2 1/2 years. I don't know.
>>
>>61067731
>Signed under Rise
they release one god awful album and one pretty good one
>Signed under Ferret
>They release 2 really good albums and one GOAT EP
>signed under roadrunner
>release another really good album
>signed under Rise
>releases a good, but ultimately underwhelming EP

I think I see the problem
>>
>>61068126
>>61068108
Yea agreed, Rapid Calm, Dim ignition and even Turn on the darkness were album low points.
Im hoping maybe we can s
chop it all up to it being a "Rock Opera" but I remember an article that interviewed Tommy and he said its a permanent shift to less harsh vocals for sure.
>>
>>61068035
Those drums on Turn on the Darkness though. Damn this is why Blake Richardson is one of my favorite drummers.
>>
>>61068126
>>61068108
>>61068035
Honestly. I think this is just a sign their running out of ideas for their atmospheric progressive metalcore sound.

What should they do next
>tfw they will never tackle a progressive black metal album

They'd honestly be perfect for it
>>
>>61066287

>the feels memes
>the REAL shitposting trip circle

Good times.

But Colors will always be one of those "memey" albums
on /mu/ even though it is really good. I have this assumption that people
see it in the /mu/ general chart and listen to it and then get mad when they
don't like what they hear(?) I feel like the cover is also misguiding.
>>
>>61068183
Memory Palace is definitely my favorite track on the album
>>
>>61068235
God I hope they never run out of ideas, but if it means they transition to something new then Im all for it.
A Prog black metal album would be dope.
>>
>>61068335
We'll have to see

before this thread I though CE marked the begining of the end for the band, now I'm not so sure
>>
File: 1323025019001.jpg (24 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1323025019001.jpg
24 KB, 409x409
This has honestly been the comfiest thread I've seen on /mu/ on a long time.

I had fun here today
>>
>>61068285
When that single was released i probably listened to it enough times a day it limited my bandwidth. That Coma Machine and Famine Wolf are great "singles'' to release.
Hilariously enough I bought the album on Vinyl at a HMV of all places. Got the band to sign it too when i met them!
>>
>>61068355
For our sakes bro I hope nothing ever marks the begging of the end for BTBAM.
>>
>>61068284

>the REAL shitposting trip circle

Godamn, that shit was the worst. Fucking CLT.
>>
>/mu/ suddenly hates meme-metal
Thank fucking God.
>>
>>61068534
>meme-metal
shut up autist
>>
>>61068235
I don't see it as them running out of ideas as much as I see a band that doesn't want to rewrite the same album every other year. Simply put, Colors, TGM, TP, and TP2 don't sound all that different from each other. They're all great albums, but I can totally see why they might be thinking they've run that well dry. They've always been about change. And honestly CE wasn't even a bad album.
>>
>>61066249
WOBSESSION
>>
>>61068554
>>61068534
What the fuck is meme-metal and how does it relate to BTBAM?
>>
>>61068534
What the fuck is "meme-metal" even meant to mean?
>>
>>61068501
CLT didn't post in 2011.
>>
Alright, Mr.
>>61066539
>>61066603
>>61066734
>>61066814
>>61066885
>>61066933
>>61066980
>>61067182
>>61067401
>>61067432
>>61067501
>>61067594
>>61067731
here, just relistened to Colors. It's not as good as I remember, a lot more chuggy chugs than I recall hearing. It does hold up pretty well though, the climax on Sun of Nothing, the technical work on Ants of the Sky and the massive explosion on White Walls were the highlights for me.
>>
>>61066249
This band was BTBAM but better
>>
>>61070776
Any band that releases Midheaven immediately loses points.
>>
>>61070776
One of my favorite prog metal albums, I loved Travis on this one. Too bad AJ is probably done writing metal stuff.
>>
>>61070776
Only thing I really liked by this band was their Midnight Sonata cover

>>61066671
In my head I've always considered them Tech Death, but they change genres mid-song like a whore in a gangbang
>>
File: 1447270868261.jpg (230 KB, 1357x1065) Image search: [Google]
1447270868261.jpg
230 KB, 1357x1065
I like the first two records best
>>
coheed are better in every way
>>
In general mu its dismissed because its sporkcore and meal. In meal threads its either ignored because its entry level, proggy or not black, sludge or power meal. its just at odds for being different but theres always gonna be a few of us who love it.
>>
>>61070745
I actually like the chugging in it.

It's never overbearing, and all the breakdowns are pretty well placed and hit you really hard.

I get where peoples objections with breakdowns come from. But they're fantastic when done well
>>
>>61071876
You aren't the first person I heard to say that.

The first 2 are fantastic if your looking for really raw, heavy metalcore
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.