[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Jazz general/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: grachan.jpg (195 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
grachan.jpg
195 KB, 1300x1300
Let's bring good conversations. What you've been diggin lately?
Also, what are some great albums featuring the trombone? I've heard pic related and the ones with Blakey as leader.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 487x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 487x500
>>61061798
Joe fielder - I'm in
Jtg had the title track in the 2015 blindfold and it was fucking class.
Also, building up to listening to the /Christmas/ edition for this week. I am so excited though.
Been listening to a lot of pic related in the meantime. Best trumpet tone in the game.
I love the whole Dizzy for president stuff. Just such a Dizzy Gillespie thing to do.
>>
>>61061798
I don't really know about specific albums but anything with JJ Johnson is usually pretty great
>>
>>61063797
also why does it seem like nobody wants to talk about jazz anymore unless it's troll b8 threads about kamasi washington
>>
>>61063899
There's a lot of the more active people on /jazz/ who've moved over to the blindfold threads every Monday. Everyone's kind of just accepted the idea that jazz talk is really fucking centralised but the actual playlists and stuff are a great way of discussing music.
>>
>>61063899
because the board has become intolerable. there has always been kids here but now they're coming even younger and a tipping point's been reached. 2/3 must be under 18.
>>
>>61061798
Josh is probably the best trombonist of the contemporary era, desu

I had the pleasure of seeing him with the Ted Poor quartet recently, he was fucking phenomenal

Roswell Rudd is a great trombonist too, his work with Steve Lacy is top notch

>>61063899
because people who actually know about jazz tend to find people who don't know shit to be obnoxious to discuss it with since its a field of knowledge where you really have to do your homework and be proactive and this conflicts greatly with the moder ignoramus-drone generation of internet music fans
>>
>>61063973
>blindfold threads every Monday.

What's that?
>>
>>61064022
>because people who actually know about jazz tend to find people who don't know shit to be obnoxious to discuss it with since its a field of knowledge where you really have to do your homework and be proactive and this conflicts greatly with the moder ignoramus-drone generation of internet music fans
Nah, I think that might just be you.
>>
>>61064041
you're right, jazz musicians LOVE to talk about Art Blakey and Dizzy Gillespie and Pharaoh Sanders with 18 year olds
>>
>>61064038
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S61031256

dig back in the archive if you want to read them, download the old song lists, etc.
>>
>>61064038
pasta from the archive:
this is a reminder to participate in the weekly Jazz Blindfold Test thread every Monday.

All posters are welcome, regardless of how much you know about jazz and elitism is kept to a minimum. All you have to do is talk about the music you hear and what you think about it.

For more information on how this works refer to the pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/2yCLLBrj

This week's theme is Christmas jazz. Download the tracks, listen to them and write down your thoughts, criticisms, and guess of who they might be and then post them in this Monday's thread.

http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/o9uUAfKH/file.html
https://mega.nz/#!99w3xJpR!OcyZ5C3yEgfMN-kDPEuTYom2VzUjZYLOMN8-5qz35uM

Links for this week.

The threads so far have been fun but we need more participants and more volunteers to select weekly tracklists.

For those of you participating already, what was your favorite track from last week? What theme ideas would you like to see?
>>
>>61064079
Weird. I didn't really think people would actually take the time to do that when there's weekly threads. Suppose if you've that much of an interest in the [thread_banter]
>>
>>61064022
>Josh is probably the best trombonist of the contemporary era, desu

Conrad Herwig tho
>>
>>61064252
only thing I've heard him on was Lovano's 52nd themes and I don't remember being impressed by the trombone at all really, and I usually like Lovano's stuff, relatively speaking at least for the sound he works in
>>
File: 1346923564-0.jpg (380 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
1346923564-0.jpg
380 KB, 1417x1417
>>61064319
Listen to some of this. I really think Herwig's agility in the upper range is unmatched. Lovano's playing has never really been that interesting to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 700x700
>>61064319
You should try this one with Monk's grandson. I'm normally not a trombone man but his small combo stuff is really good.
>>
>>61064395
his playing really isn't that good, has too much of a polished post-80s sound, but I think his group with Frisell and Montian was pretty great for small-group stuff at the time they were together (late 80s) and his duet album with Hank Jones is beautiful

I'll download that for sure.
What I really like about Roseman is his creativity in solos, he knows when to color in the lines and improvise very freely. So I guess he's my favorite improviser on the instrument, rather than the best trombone player, you know? and he has GREAT taste in the ensembles he puts together and works with. His stuff with late 90s Dave Douglas is top-a notch-a
>>
>>61064410
mah negro

Let's not forget Ralph Bowen who is unbelievable on this record.

New Conrad Herwig album coming out in February with Igor Butman on tenor (who I'm not very familiar with) Alex Sipiagin, Dave Kikoski, and Jeff Watts. I forget who's playing bass but I think this album is going to be very good.
>>
File: Space_Is_The_Place_album_cover.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Space_Is_The_Place_album_cover.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
Been loving pic related lately
>>
>>61064468
I'll agree with that. The chemistry between him, Frisell, and Motian made that group great but outside of that his playing isn't all that special. I didn't know he did a record with Hank Jones. I might give it a look.

I think Herwig's got a lot of creativity and imagination in his solos as well and then his technical abilities give him more room in which to play those ideas. A trombone player friend of mine is convinced that Robin Eubanks is the best in terms of technique. He says his speed accuracy in the low range of the instrument is actually more impressive than what Herwig is able to do in the high range.
>>
>>61064479
I've got Watt's album WATTS. Which I'm kind of torn about because some of the playing is great but he gets so damn aggressive with his playing. Really drives the players. Which is sometimes a nice effect but I think it's a bit much at times.
>>
>>61064587
I've heard a ton of Robin on Dave Holland's quintet stuff and I have to agree that he's a fucking incredible player (all those M-base guys are unbelievably talented). It makes sense that lower register trombone work is more difficult considering how far you have to extend yourself, and I believe the intervals are further towards the lower register but I don't know for sure.

I agree that Lovano was probably the least interesting in the trio, but it takes some serious talent to keep up with Frisell and Paul Motian.

I think that Frisell's groups got a LOT better when he dropped him for Don Byron, of course, but that's because Byron is a much better and more interesting player and improviser than Lovano for everyone who isn't a crusty old purist
>>
>>61064638
I love it.

Most of the time. Sometimes he can get a little bit over the top but the way he follows the soloists and helps them build up to the high point of their solos is usually awesome. He's a lot of fun to watch live too.
>>
>>61064075
Do people on /jazz/ dislike 60s hard bop? I always see people making fun of newcomers who are starting their road into jazz. It's great to have a chat about old classics in jazz. No reason to nove love Blakey, Pharoah, Coltrane, Davis, Hubbard and other bigs.
>>61064395
This is top notch, pal. I wish there were more jazz concerts in my city. I'd love to see him live.
>>
>>61064730
I can imagine. His sort of playing is just really entertaining to see live.
He certainly knows where and how the dynamics and pacing are going and changing, he's just loud and really active a lot more of the time than I'm used to.
>>
>>61064776
there are almost certainly scores of jazz concerts that you don't go to in your city
>>
>>61064725
I think the amount of air and the embouchure you need to play in the lower range makes it much harder to play fast and accurate runs, especially chromatic runs. I love Robin Eubanks but I think he relies too much on the polytonal trick that he uses in almost every solo.

I've also never really been all that big on Frisell outside of that trio too. His playing is just always so introverted all the time.
>>
>>61064776
>I'd love to see him live.
Me too. He travels around a fair amount and usually plays at several jazz festivals every year. Maybe one of these years.
>>
File: 1411616374346.jpg (457 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
1411616374346.jpg
457 KB, 2550x3300
>>61064410
Hey aren't you playing in a group right now? Maybe you could use this lead sheet I did for the 2nd track from this record. It's a lot of fun to play.
>>
File: soweto kinch.jpg (208 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
soweto kinch.jpg
208 KB, 618x618
>>61064124
I think for the themes there should be more foreign ethnically influenced genres like Bulawayo jazz. I know there's a quite a bit of jazz scenes in Africa and the like, but I don't know if many here are familiar with them. I personally would like to see more vocal jazz and cool jazz, maybe even instrumental hip hop

>>61064880
lol not in mine, theres one guy who does smooth jazz then a couple of guys who do jam sessions in a bar. For an actual jazz concert i'd have to drive two hours and even then it would probably be some amateur stuff.
>>
>>61065237
Thanks for sharing. Nice guy
>>
>>61065213
I understand how to figure out melodies and stuff by ear but how do you figure out chords?
>>
>>61065213
Haha I wish we were doing stuff that high end.
There are two vocalists so that kind of limits us to more poppy vocal jazz (we do a mean cover of Everybody wants to be a Cat, one of our singers is actually French so it's wonderful) but the sax and I tend to try push the songs a bit.
The best thing we do is probs Take Five which I suggested but I'm planning on slowly steering the group towards being more like a bop quartet with singers.
I will keep this for posterity though. I've still an embarrassing number of things downloaded from the music writing share thread I'll be spending the rest of my life getting to.
>>61065237
If you think you could do up playlists with some of that stuff, it'd be brilliant to get the variety. There's certainly a lack of non-European/North American jazz in the jazz community in general.
>>
>>61065493
You can do it through trial and error. The easiest notes to figure out are the highest and lowest so figure those out first. From there you can just go note by note and try and figure out if that note is somewhere in the chord or not.

Of course, the better your ears are the easier it is and you won't have to do it by trial and error a lot of the time. Plus just the more you do it the better you will get at it.
>>
>>61065718
You should do "I Wanna Be Like You" from the Jungle Book. That one is a lot of fun if you have vocalists.
>>
>>61061798
hey jazz-friends. i've tried to DL this fantastic album i've only heard the two avail tracks on the bandcamp from a couple diff places (including the archive and soulseek) but to no avail. anyone have a link perchance? it's Laurent Coq & Walter Smith III - The Lafayette Suite
>>
>>61065888
It was on the table along with Bear Nessesities but we're just sticking with this one for the moment. We keep having to rush in preparation for gigs so we've not even had much time to actually go and really tinker with the arrangements of what we play.
>>
>>61061798
I really like that album OP, what's some more stuff that sounds like that?
>>
>>61066066
I have a soft spot for cool arrangements of Disney tunes. Check out this one that some friends of mine did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VnAnyN41FI

>>61066014
I've got it but I can't upload it right now because the wifi isn't too good at the place I'm staying.
>>
>>61066291
no sweat man, if you want to upload it in the next week or whatever ill just check for it in the archive. post it wherever and ill find it. would really appreciate it
>>
>>61064885
you're not big on Frisell? That really depresses me desu. He's one of my favorite musicians of all time, his music really transcends jazz music, it really is non-idiomatic in the truest sense, while still being incredible and captivating. He comes across as introverted because his music transcends ego, which is REMARKABLE considering that he plays with jazz musicians.

I assume you've heard his most lauded stuff:
Where in the World?, Have a Little Faith, and the like. He's got incredible country music if you like that, but I don't even know where to begin because his stuff is so fucking good.

Go West, History, Mystery, Intercontinentals, Big Sur, his stuff is so fucking good

>>61065237
What's wrong with jam sessions in bars?
>>
>>61066617
I've heard a fair amount of his records and seen him live a few times and he's a fine musician but somehow none of what he plays really ever grabs me in the way that some players do. I hear what you're saying about his playing having no ego. Too much ego can ruin music but I also think it's possible to have too little ego. I guess that's how I'd summarize how I feel about his playing.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.