[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm working my way through reading The Road. What is some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: the road.jpg (29 KB, 322x499) Image search: [Google]
the road.jpg
29 KB, 322x499
I'm working my way through reading The Road. What is some good music to fit with the book?

I was thinking middle-era Earth, but I don't think it's bleak enough.
>>
>>61061595
Good book but read Blood Meridian.

Before someone else says it listen to F#A# infinity. Listen to some dark ambient and some lowercase
>>
>>61061595
Cobalt - Gin
>>
File: tumblr_mw7zj701bx1rtw0yoo1_500.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mw7zj701bx1rtw0yoo1_500.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
Pic related. Dark and unadorned
>>
I can only read if the music isn't intrusive.
So like ambient and drone would be my only recommendations.

Lustmord/Rich - Stalker is an album that seems like it could work here.
>>
This is one of my favorite books. Not sure how religious people feel about it, but I thought it was an excellent story about Man and God. Maybe try listening to Deathconsciousness' eponymous album?
>>
>>61061755
I gave that a read earlier this year and now I'm working my way through his other stuff. Didn't think to give Godspeed a listen but that does sound pretty neat.

I'm not too keen on darker ambient music but I'll look into some. Thanks so far, everyone.
>>
>>61061595
>listening to music while reading a book
>listening to music while reading a MCCARTHY novel
You fucked up man.

Music dictates rhythm and tone. The reason that music works in film is that the music is picked and edited to fit the movie frame by frame. When you listen to music while reading you completely fuck up the contents of the book, especially with something containing so much bleakness and emptiness as a Cormac McCarthy novel. Dead silence and a subconscious hum of uncertainty always buzzing in the back of your head is the best soundtrack to The Road.
>>
>>61062015
Thank You
>>
File: image.jpg (329 KB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
329 KB, 1417x1417
Great book.

This album includes some of the songs composed for the movie, and is also pretty great.
>>
OH MY GOD
I had one of the most amazing experiences reading this book while listening to the Library Tapes
https://librarytapes.bandcamp.com/
I swear it is the absolute PERFECT fit
If not try the soundtrack to the film
>>
I was a big fan of listening to this with GY!BE.
>>
File: horrsing.jpg (2 MB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
horrsing.jpg
2 MB, 1280x1280
>>61062785

this is a good post.

i would say street horrsing, OP.
>>
Not a fan of reading and listening to music at the same time, but:

Both Vali albums
Monoliths & Dimensions
Lustmord's Heresy
Advaitic Songs (really subjective, this one)
Dungeon Synth, weirdly enough. Valscharuhn, Daudi Baldrs, early Mortiis

Also, do read Outer Darj and Child of God if you haven't already, they're the best things he's ever done, in my opinion.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjvF36gzLF8
>>
>>61064434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBMbdUnBec
>>
>>61064602
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2A5mwDT25g
>>
>>61061595

None, close that book.
>>
bruh, listen to PERMAFROST by THOMAS KONER

here's a taste:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1teSrZ1LE7M
>>
File: godspeed_jpg_640x612_q85.jpg (108 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
godspeed_jpg_640x612_q85.jpg
108 KB, 612x612
When I was reading The Road I had F#A# on repeat. Both the CD and vinyl version are fantastic and fit the mood of the album.
>>
>>61066457
Same here. I can't read the book without thinking of the album and vice versa.
>>
I listened to this and This Is A Long Drive/Nothing to Think About at the same time, wouldn't recommend it because they obviously don't fit very well but now I have an interesting association between the two. The road on the cover of the album is to me the subject of the book.

Again, in terms of tone and lyrics very dissimilar, I'm just sharing my experience. Probably best to read without music unless you have trouble doing that.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.