[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 22
File: lunga-pink.png (73 KB, 298x295) Image search: [Google]
lunga-pink.png
73 KB, 298x295
I can't be the only one to make these threads edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

Learn why no one ever makes new threads, and how to make lunga edits in 5 minutes.

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
>>61058912
Does anyone have a better version of this pdf and its sister book?

https://lhsmusictech.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/the-art-of-mixing-a-visual-guide-to-recording-engineering-and-production-1997-david-gibson-mix-books.pdf
>>
>>61059011
Nope, I've never heard of it
>>
thread doa
>>
Hi /prod/ survey time

>For how long have you been producing/composing/creating music
>How many songs/tracks have you finished so far?
>Main genres?
>Main influences? ( bands / albums / whatever )
>Current state as a producer?
>Opinion to share?
>WIP?
>>
Anyone ever sell gear online? I want to sell my 707, but I don't want to get fucked by paypal/ebay.
>>
>>61060747

18 years
Probably about 8 tracks in total all for a live performance about 10 years ago. Other than that I never bother to finish anything as I mostly just experiment and fuck about with ideas.
>Main genres?
Dub, techno, instrumental hip hop...mostly just dub influenced stuff now.
Doom/stoner metal, techno, dub
Dormant
>Opinion to share?
N
>WIP?
N
>>
>>61061027
How much senpai?
>>
5 months
58 out 172
>Main genres?
Dubstep (not brostep), trap, vaporwave, hip hop
Ribbonmouthrabbit, quite a few vaporwave artists and pretty much every dubstep producer ever.
shit
>Opinion to share?
no
>WIP?
nah

Any ways I was wondering if you guys know any good guides to mastering. I tried doing it myself but my shit still has a way lower volume than well pretty much everyone else's. Any tips?
>>
>>61060747
Producing for about 4 years, composing MIDI for over a decade
Over 100 for sure.
>Main genres?
Future Bass, Metal, Chiptune
Videogame soundtracks, Frost*, Mort Garson
Making a living off it
>Opinion to share?
Never change, /prod/. This is where I come to regain sanity points.
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/ttirvlgh
>>
>>61061571
>Making a living off it
Nice
>>
>>61061027
why not sell locally then?
>>
>>61060747
maybe 5 years
30 or so, along with a trillion unfinished ones. I usually just mess around for a minute and move on
>Main genres?
electro-pop shit usually
Justice, Daft Punk, Kavinsky. Madeon and shit like that too.
Shit, but less shit then I was before
>Opinion to share?
Synth1 is best free synth
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/jp4kbmi4
if you think it sounds like shit then it's probably all the messing around I'm doing

for comparison: https://clyp.it/pfkgdnrg
>>
>>61062477
>Synth1 is best free synth
Good taste friend :)
>>
>>61061144

have you managed to make good dub techno that isn't BC clone or boring blogcore d synth stab->chorus-delay->reverb dub techno

genuinely interested
>>
Please give me extreme critique /prod.,
>>
File: 1416106365643.jpg (43 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1416106365643.jpg
43 KB, 500x375
>>61062706
Messed up.

Please give me critique and explain on how I should improve.

https://clyp.it/pxl430bn
>>
how do you guys feel about panning snares?
>>
>>61060747
>>For how long have you been producing/composing/creating music
i started playing the drums when i was like 11 and the guitar a couple years later but i havent played either in a long time, started learning ableton at 18, currently 23
>>How many songs/tracks have you finished so far?
technically a couple hundred but a bunch were from the first couple of years of producing when i didnt put as much into the songs
>>Main genres?
alternative hip hop/electronic/ambient/downtempo kind of stuff
>>Main influences? ( bands / albums / whatever )
my 2 biggest influences are probably hot sugar and el-p
>>Current state as a producer?
decent at sound design and mixing, shit at composition
>>Opinion to share?
i have many: synthesis isn't the be all and end all of sound design and people need to stop treating it that way, crediting the sample source should be the only legal requirement for sampling something, the sp404 is terrible as a sampler, preset hatred is silly and overblown, purposely withholding production knowledge that you view as your "secret" or whatever is lame, telling new producers to not grab a bunch of plugins to experiment with is bad advice that i wish i'd never taken seriously
>>WIP?
i'm not feeling anything i'm working on enough to post it right now
>>
>>61062758
Sounds just like it should for that kind of music. Pretty professional.
>>
>>61062855
and claps too?
do you base it on the frequency of the sample?
i.e highs = L-R, mids/lows = center?
>>
>tfw started using 3xOsc for all my basses
sounds better than most other things I've tried desu
>>
>>61063314
Ok, can some1 explain why everyone doesn't have a cracked version of serum for this kind of thing?
>>
>>61063382
>cracked
m8...
>>
>>61063385
i have a legit version! i mean, the people who can't afford that sh*t.
>>
>>61063397
>payed for serum
>still makes shit music
nice
>>
>>61063420
it takes work to make it work dawg. u mad bc i have ethics?
>>
>>61063435
I don't have the cracked version though, I just use freeware
>>
https://clyp.it/fg3xf3cb
What do you think /prod/?
>>
>>61063460
Why? Freeware, with maybe synth1 as the exception, is generally terrible.
>>
File: little richie miller.jpg (44 KB, 457x600) Image search: [Google]
little richie miller.jpg
44 KB, 457x600
NO bully
messing around with synthesizers and DAWs for a year or so, played guitar and piano my early teen years but didn't have anyone to play with so i drifted away from guitar. i'm 18 now.
0, ~8 almost finished, but still all ongoing projects. I won't allow myself to release anything that I'm not confident with.
>Main genres?
noise pop, IDM, synthpop, but haven't really solidified anything
AnCo (early lofi stuff, MPP, and side projects), tim hecker (radio amor, mirages), aphex (RDJ album, SAW 85-92), massive attack (mezzanine), OPN (replica)
fairly new, trying to get into better working habits, absorb more information, and listen to more music
>Opinion to share?
i'm just a babby here to learn. favorite vsts are synth1, glitch2 (but i don't let it dominate my sound b/c i've done that before), and lots of different filter and granulator and reverb things
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/bniequkg
would appreciate any feedback. the bridge is pretty shaky and i'm kind of shit at percussion desu. my first time playing with samples.
QUESTIONS
should i get away from using FL studio? i don't necessarily have the urge to because i can do pretty much everything i have the desire to do on there atm but should i switch to ableton or something like that for the long run or not?
also I need a starting point to help me develop more glitchy percussion like something from Tri Repetai or the RDJ album
>>
Listening without headphones because just gone out of the shower so any remarks about the prod can be wrong

>>61063509
0:40 may be too strident / cutting the relaxed ambience of the track
The leads from 1:50 sound a bit odd

>>61062758
I don't like hardcore / happy hardcore but it sounds good.

>>61062477
>https://clyp.it/pfkgdnrg
Nice

>>61061571
>https://clyp.it/ttirvlgh
Nice for the genre ( i don't really like it ) very pro tbhdesu
>>
>>61063385
>m8...
yeah, dont we all have thousands of dollars to spend on vsts and daws? who would ever crack anything?
>>
>>61063792
>>61063107
Thanks.
>>
File: f3d.png (127 KB, 257x250) Image search: [Google]
f3d.png
127 KB, 257x250
>>61060747
Two years I think
13 on my bandcamp0
>Main genres?
Intrumental Hip Hop
Can't think of any right now, hip hop in general
Getting better at eqing
>Opinion to share?
Not having hardware sucks
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/zozhxzjx

I would appreciate some feedback
>>
I came in to this thread to thank you guys.

I was in a previous thread and asked about a good mic for vocals. Several anons suggested that I check out the Shure SM58.

I love this thing. It is a world's improvement over my shitty, $20 Peavey PVI100 that I bought in an effort to save money.

Thank you guys for the help.
>>
Dark ambient again yeeeeee
All this track is made only manipulating sonatina symphonic orchestra samples because why not
https://clyp.it/xwc2wygt

>muh textures

>>61065642
Nice for you anon
>>
File: goodnight.png (13 KB, 426x364) Image search: [Google]
goodnight.png
13 KB, 426x364
Good night /prod/

I'm too tired to listen to your clips anon, but i can bump the thread before going to sleep
>>
>>61066659
Night anon, rest well
>>
>>61060747

4 years, I started producing because it was easy to create meme-y vaporwave with a pirated copy of ableton.
Not sure, a lot
>Main genres?
micro-glitch, beats, ambient, psychedelic rock, organic signals
arca, sun araw, opn, laurel halo, actress, footwork, anco, academic max msp stuff, m.e.s.h.'s latest album is intense.
Not sure. I'm borrowing an analog rytm, but it's hard for me to use it when I already feel so comfortable with ableton and a push.
>Opinion to share?
Piteous Gate is aoty for me probably
>WIP?
maybe
>>
So where do you guys practice/record live instruments? I'll be moving to the city after I finish my thesis, but I wanna learn some percussion and guitar and shit.
Renting a practice space just for myself seems like total overkill, but I doubt the neighbours would put up with me.
>>
>>61067482
This concerns me as well. Luckily right now I live in a house with friends, but in a few months I'll be on my own in an apartment. I know you're allowed to make noise, but it's going to be shitty having the neighbors hate me/complain if I want to record everyday.
>>
>>61067482
>>61067655
Get a midi controller. Like an Ableton Push or a keyboard, and jam on your laptop
>>
>>61060747
9 or so. Of which 7 with the mindset of doodling dudes with katanas in the margin of a highschool history notebook.
3. Fug.
I've got piles of 90% finished tracks lying around that I've convinced myself are only 50% done and have the potential for SO MUCH MORE. I should really just throw them out there and move on, but I'm too lolsorandomXD to get even an EP's worth of one thing.
>Main genres?
I'm shifting from midi-ish vidya-type music to techno and obnoxiously vintage sounds.
By far the biggest influence lately is Pye Corner Audio. Also some detroit or dub techno, dream pop and ethnic shit and 60s anything.
Worse than a lot of people with 2 years of experience. I so wish I'd been even remotely serious all this time.
Oh well. I bet making music at all would've been my greatest dream if I weren't already doing it so there's that.
>Opinion to share?
'Cinematic' is my least favourite buzzword, followed by 'musical'.
>WIP?
Not at this moment.
>>
>>61065642
>Peavey PV
damn...
>>
2-3 years on and off
About 12 but only a few I'm content with
>Main genres?
Nothing really, just a bit of everything, though I've made some ambient stuff
Radiohead, Joy Division, Autechre
Putting shitty music on Soundcloud
>Opinion to share?
When you're just starting off, don't focus on making good stuff, because it'll take a while before you actually do. Just have fun making a whole lot of music and you'll get the hang of it.
>WIP?
Not as of right now
>>
How much can you edit the wavedrum's acoustic instrument emulations?
I'd love to get some congas/tablas/whatever into my music, but I may not want to use the same conga/tabla/whatever every time. I can effect the recording, sure, but normally I'd have several very different sample packs to start with.
>>
>>61060747
Getting close to 4 years now.
At least 40 full ones, probably dozens more WIPs.
>Main genres?
Symphonic prog, ambient, psychedelic electronica, experimental, post rock
>Main influences?
Genesis, Yes, Camel, Sufjan Stevens, Animal Collective, Scott Walker, Talk Talk, GY!BE, Jean-Michel Jarre, Mr Bungle, and many others
Strongest at composition and sound design, getting better at mixing. Not that good at mastering though
>Opinion to share?
808 hi-hat rolls are the bane of my existence >:(
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/uvimy5dr Here's the first 2/3rds of a song I'm working on about some very disturbing secrets. I might re-record the vocals though, so for now I'd prefer some feedback on the actual backing track.
>>
WIP I gave up on.
Thoughts?

https://clyp.it/wde0sceo
>>
>>61060747
I think 4 years

about 100

electronic, wannabe (instrumental)dm at times

>>61060747
I probably draw from whatever I listen to right before working on a track, whether it be trying to emulate the tone of an instrument, or a particular instrument altogether, or maybe the mix

bedroom producing and generally being a loser, not that it's a big deal.

I hate the loudness wars, every youtube/soundcloud/bandcamp/internet song is so much louder than my own music, and I don't want to get mastering plugins, because I want my music to sound like what it sounds like when I'm making it, I don't want to use any mastering plugins (not that I know how to use them) to color any of my instruments, or 'beef' up my drums or whatnot, so I'm usually left with quieter music than most , even though I try to push my final bounced audio file as close to 0 as I can get it without employing the use of too many limiters or compressors.
>>
Not going to fill out the rest of the survey but

>Opinion to share
Mixing is more about making a lot of subtle changes than one or two really big ones. If you watch how actual pros mix, they're very light with how they use each piece of gear, but they chain them all together so that the end result is the sound of little bits and pieces of lots of very high end gear. I.e. compressors, they won't even really hit the compressor hard enough to do any real gain reduction, but just for the sound. Then do that through multiple compressors/preamps/etc until the sound is very pro but still has they dynamic range intact, etc. You can't replicate this on your own which is why most in the box mixes have either one of two sounds: smashed/digitally clipped to hell, or totally amateur and bland. The reason people practically clip their mixes with digital limiters is that there's literally no way to get a good in the box mix comparable to what people achieve with huge hardware setups. In other words, just give up and try to make your mixes sound "listenable" instead of smashed to hell. They're not gonna sound pro anyways, at least not like a real pro would make.
>>
>>61060747

I wrote my first generic ass song in elementary school shortly I started taking guitar lessons.

Less than 10, I guess. I consider a lot to be unfinished or given up on.

These days, I just research some music in a genre if feel like writing if I feel like writing a certain genre but would like to use some influences.

Mostly inactive.

>Opinion to share?
Life is so much fun.

>WIP?
>>61069323
>>
>>61062758
>https://clyp.it/pxl430bn
It needs a splash of a short melody, rhythm, or sound effect here and there. Kind of like toppings on an ice cream cone; add another layer of substance, but it's lighter, sometimes a lot lighter.
Maybe it could use a tiny bit of ambience, or more if there's already ambience.
>>
>>61069031
>Symphonic prog
Nice

Literally no opinion about your clyp though, sorry of being of no use

>>61069323
>gave up on
It was decent but needed work
Do as you feel it anon
>>
>>61060747
About 7 years
Hundreds
>>Main genres?
Guitar based music. A bunch of types of metal, prog, folky shit, acoustic instrumentals
>>Main influences? ( bands / albums / whatever )
John Frusciante was my biggest influence when I first started playing. My main influences now are the new proggy rock/metal guys - Plini, Chon, Intervals, etc. As for a production influence, it would have to be my friend that got me into recording guitars in the first place. He taught me so much shit along the way. It was nice to learn a lot in person rather than having to rely solely on instructional videos like I imagine most bedroom producers do
>>Current state as a producer?
I've put way more effort over the years into guitar technique and composition rather than improving my mixing, and I think my tracks reflect that. I've never really had much drive to hone my mixing skills, but they've slowly gotten better
>>Opinion to share?
Recording and mixing with real instruments is a lot more fun than with virtual instruments and synths
>>WIP?
https://clyp.it/tyys0q3d
I'm trying out a new overdriven rhythm tone that's a lot cleaner than the one I normally use. Still working on the drum track, and I haven't eq'd anything yet
>>
>>61070055
>https://clyp.it/tyys0q3d
This is actually really good, the guitar tones are really strong and the whole song sounds great even in its unmixed state.

This is just a personal preference, but I think the song would really shine if you added some keyboard parts. Maybe some synth arpeggios, or heavy synth string/Mellotron chords in the background. I'd add some myself to show you what I mean, but I can't download the file from clyp.it :(
>>
>>61070055
>is a lot more fun than with virtual instruments and synths
It can also be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>61070055
>Still working on the drum track
Personally, I'm not too big of a fan of when people match the drum and guitar rhythms as excessively as it is in the current state of your WIP.
The bass drum is like having a bass guitar playing the same note the whole time.
>>
>>61070095
Interesting idea, I almost never mix synths into my guitar stuff. I could see it adding good textures to the mix

>>61070181
I was super into metalcore as a teen, so that's probably where my tendency to match the kick rhythms comes from. I've been trying to get away from it, but it almost always feels like the guitars aren't punchy enough if the kick isn't backing it up
>>
>>61060747
>how long
3ish years
>how many tracks
i would say 30-40 'full' tracks not including ambient nonsense
>genres
bass music, synthwave, ambient, plunderphonics (not all at once)
>influences
night slugs, fade to mind, opal tapes, 100% silk, other people, bruton, the list could go on
>state as a producer
mid shelf stuff nobody really wants to listen to. i have to work on getting tracks to 'gel' into a cohesive whole, and finer details. (also mixing, but who doesn't have to work on that?)
>opinion to share
everyone seems to be spending too much time on mixing in comparison to everything else
>wip
my current wip is only just turning into something tangible (after like a fucking week), so here's my last finished track
https://clyp.it/hbas0fla
>>
>>61060747
16 years
Uncountable hundreds
>Main genres?
14-18: Electronic, Hip hop, Band/Guitar driven, hybrids of all 3
19-23: Death metal, electronic, Singer songwriter
24-29 Classical, Singer songwriter, electronic
>Main influences?
Bach, Palestrina, Martinu, Schnittke, Schoenberg, Bartok, Janacek.
Producing or writing every day, occasional paid work
>Opinion to share?
Go to university/college when you want to get serious. You can learn about every aspect of music making, from writing to production to recording engineering.
>WIP?
WIP fugue from last month. I've finished most of the pieces I started over the last couple of months. 6th movement of symphony is also WIP but wont post that.
https://clyp.it/iqbmvtct
>>
File: 1445806184910.jpg (6 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1445806184910.jpg
6 KB, 250x250
>mfw binging on groovy old foreign shit on what.cd
Thought I wasn't gonna get into sampling but whoa okay yeah I can take it from here
>>
you know that technique of duplicating a sound and panning it hard L/R instead of center to free up the center area mix; does that work for all sounds?

can/should i do that with claps, vocals, even snares?
obvs wouldn't do it with kicks or bass though..
>>
>>61069577
A break basically?
>>
>>61071676
I do it a lot with claps, sometimes snares
>sounds good bro
>>
They always say your track needs to peak around -6db before you master it, but mine's peaking at -12db right now. Does that bring any difference into the mastering process except for having to turn it up louder?
>>
>>61060747
12 years
>Main genres?
Eh, everything electronic except for trap. Fuck trap.
Whatever I listened to at the moment. I don't play favorites.
Can't produce for shit.
>Opinion to share?
Ableton Live is shit.
>WIP?
Posted in the last thread. https://clyp.it/rjn1vdts
>>
>>61071715
No.
>>
>>61071676
Hard L/R? I mean, if it sounds cool to you sure, but I don't often pan all the way.

A lot of people suggest mixing in mono, which would make this impossible. You're of course welcome to use panning but consider that it should probably still sound good in mono.

For anyone more familiar with this, though: Is mixing in mono simply a compromise between the mono and stereo mixes or is it more like hard-mode so a mix that works in mono's only gonna get better in stereo?

>>61071801
At what point would quantization/bit depth become a factor? Like how out of the box you need to worry about the noise floor.

>>61071781
So are you planning to get out of that pattern and get some melody on top?
It sounds cool so far but I think it's gonna get old if you don't switch it up.
>>
>>61071871
should I always be mixing in mono?
>>
>>61071676
Hold up, duplicating and panning L/R?
Wouldn't that just add up into the same thing at a different volume?
>>61071885
It's supposedly a good idea but I'm not fully clear on it either as I said.
>>
>>61071896
>Hold up, duplicating and panning L/R?
>Wouldn't that just add up into the same thing at a different volume?
yeah, but the point is to free up mixing space in the center
say you've got a kick, snare, clap, voc, bass all in the center
take some of the less low-end sounds and pan em hard L/R so it's still balanced and there's more room to mix the core center elements
>>
>>61071871
>get out of that pattern and get some melody on top
Yeah, eventually. I haven't had time to open my DAW since the last time I posted it.
>At what point would quantization/bit depth become a factor?
I don't really remember my IEEE754, but with 64 bits of precision, probably later than you think. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could provide a definite answer.
>>
>>61071925
>IEEE754
And to add to that, I think that the smaller the value, the more resolution you have, because of how they're stored (sign, coefficient, exponent, and the bigger the exponent, the bigger the difference between values stored in coeff). Is my reasoning correct?
>>
Hello I know about stuff like this - I pop in every few months to answer ur questions because I'm nice+bored at the same time.

Let's go.
>>
>>61072348
Do you mix in mono?
>>
>>61072393
No but I check in mono regularly and sometimes go mono for critical eq decisions where I feel like the stereo image is confusing my judgement.
>>
>listening to your track over and over again trying to compress and eq and master everything perfectly and your ears start playing games with you and you start to lose your mind

This is worse than a bad acid trip, why is mastering so devilishly hard or am I just retarded?
>>
>>61072470
You ears get tired just like anything else.
Take breaks so they can recover - if you're mixing for hours and a time you'll fuck it up, it's only natural.

Anything worthwhile is difficult. D'you know how many hours professional mastering engineers have invested in learned their art?
Don't expect to get the same results by spending a few days pissing around in Ozone.

Also, monitoring environment is a critical and often overlooked part of the mixing and mastering process.
>>
k im gone bye
>>
does anyone have Dub: Soundscapes and Shattered Songs in Jamaican Reggae? i really need it
>>
>>61066959

I did thanks anon
>>
File: japan_night_34.jpg (449 KB, 998x1000) Image search: [Google]
japan_night_34.jpg
449 KB, 998x1000
3 years
Maybe 45, but I only have around 6 genuinely good ones
>Main genres?
Trip Hop, Chillwave and Experimental
All Pixies albums, Squarepusher, Vetichre, Alva Noto
I know my way around FL (kek) but I'm not good with instruments, I'm still working on that.
>Opinion to share?
I know so called "hip hop" artists that only steal premade beats and fuck with them on garage band.
Don't be one of those assholes

>WIP?
https://clyp.it/kyokj3ul

I just started this about an hour ago, so yeah...
>>
>>61071871
>Is mixing in mono simply a compromise between the mono and stereo mixes
That's how I always treated it, but what do I know.
>>
>>61073595
bump for this
>>
>>61062513
You make an interesting point anon. I still wonder why someone hasn't ripped off Deepchord while going for a darker, grittier style. Only song I can think of that sounds remotely like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffeDhRhsPro
>>
>>61074525
>for how long have you been producing/composing/creating music
4 years
About a 100 demos. I record cheapily at home tho.
>Main genres?
Rock, metal - i experiment alot with music so hard to say all genres but industrial rock/metal is one of my favs

I have shitty equipment but yeah at moment just do demo stuff altho i do have a couple tracks i hope to someday record in a studio (however i do that)

I am concerned of my music being stolen/copyrighted if i upload all say on youtube however i go with making me the full owner of.
>>
How to get this crunchy cymbal sound without completely destroying the harmonics? Advice on the drum sound overall is appreciated, I know there's obviously some distortion there and lo-fi quality but what's the best way to get a sound like this? Lower bit rate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9rs9PSG9qE
>>
>>61076357
I have about 15 songs I have written out on guitar pro. Be amazing if there was a way to get a band to play them.. risky online but if there was advice to find a band in person around my state?
>>
File: 51oE13+39hL._SX355_.jpg (21 KB, 355x311) Image search: [Google]
51oE13+39hL._SX355_.jpg
21 KB, 355x311
sup /prod/

I've got my hands on a Roland JX305 (essentially a mc-505 groovebox with keys) that needs about $250 in repair to get it back to working condition.

Do you think it will be worth it to fix it up, or just put that cash towards something else, like a TR-8?
>>
>>61076583
Well, the youtube demos sound kinda awesome. I'd hold on to this.
>>
hey prod here is my 2011 tier tiny album that ive put off for nearly a year, almost done. also had to compromise 2 singing songs because i cannot sing well consistently

https://clyp.it/003cvpn5
>>
yo yo yo /prod/

can i get some critique on this WIP i just started?
i just wanna know if the chords in the buildup and the notes used in the melody go together. songs in g minor and both are using notes from that scale but it just sounds a little off.

https://clyp.it/aqzsvdhz
>jackin/deep house if you care.
>also, i know the mix is p bad and i plan on swapping some synths out, i just wanna know if the notes fit. ty
>>
>>61076396

i found some dudes to jam some doom with on craigslist, another dude at a pawn shop asked me to come jam with him and his buddies once. theres like, bandmate.com or something like that where its basically okcupid for bandmates. you fill out a profile, what you do/what youre looking for and browse around.
outside of that, just start going to local shows a lot and talking to people

gl buddy
>>
bimp
>>
>>61071676
>duplicating a sound and panning it hard L/R instead of center to free up the center area mix

That just replicates the original sound - if you do this with a stereo signal (where differing left and right channels are already set hard left and hard right) you won't free up the centre because nothing has been changed, similarly if you do it with a mono signal (where both left and right channels are identical) you just end up with the same identical sounds on both left and right channels.

The trick is to introduce a phase difference by delaying one side by a few milliseconds - be aware that while this can be used to push sounds out to the sides it does it by causing cancellation in the centre and will also cause comb filtering of the treated sound if the whole track is reduced to mono.
>>
>>61078358
>sounds a little off
Simplify your chords, turn down the release.
>>
>>61080272
Also, that fm bass at the end is off. I can kinda tell what you were going for, but it doesn't really work.
>>
this thread ain't dyin on my watch
>>
File: Casio_Rapman-front.jpg (112 KB, 1024x411) Image search: [Google]
Casio_Rapman-front.jpg
112 KB, 1024x411
Bumpin with best synth

What is prod doing this time of the night?
>>
https://soundcloud.com/frederickv/wip/s-3ZmQr

Allright I made this WIP.

Any thoughts? What are ur opinions where I need to go from here. Kinda stuck.
>>
>>61081260
This thread should probaly 404 so someone can make a new one. This one was fucked from the start due to >>61060747
>>
>>61080405

off as in how? i wanted something more detuned and aggressive to come in and fill out the sides. maybe i just need to tweak with my sound design a bit more.
>>
>>61082327
Timbre is fine, off as in not in scale.

A'ight, how do my wubs sound? https://clyp.it/e02yu5it
>>
>>61082321
how does a survey make this thread "fucked from the start"?
>>
>>61082226
making some kind of pad synth type thing from the sound of a glass plate
>>
>>61082518
Half the thread is non productive survey posts
>>
>>61082540
The real question is are you sampling like a man, or using Harmor.
>>
>>61082572
lol ok there officer /prod/

run along and start your super productive and on-topic thread, we'll all stay here
>>
>>61082572
also there are only 15 of those survey posts lol
>>61082600
using ableton's sampler
>>
GIVE ME ATTENTION

about 8 years but it doesnt matter since im self-taught
probably thousands. i cant keep track. i would say above 1000
>Main genres?
electronic catch-all. lately ive been making progressice 'tronic (think later OPN) and breakbeat. i dunno i just make stuff
dan lopatin, propellerheads, mr. carmack, flylo to name some more mainstream artists. i also really enjoy Gatekeeper, juan atkins. i listen to idm sometimes too
currently banking off of natural skill and state of flow. ive neglected my technical skill in favor of songwriting, structure and exploring textures and genres. in 8 years i havent properly learned how to compress drums lol
>Opinion to share?
make whatever you want as long as its original.
>WIP?
excuse the brickwall, im using a clipping emulator on the master
https://clyp.it/hdi1v5po
part that shines is the ambient/prog bit past 0:49

>>61061571
this is fucking tight
>>
There are days when I think I should just install Nexus and be done with sound design.
>>
>>61082321

Excuse me for drawing attention to this thread and reducing the number of bumps needed to sustain it i won't do it again i swear
>>
>>61060747
>>61060747
10 years
probably 50 but many are lost
>Main genres?
older techno and house, various electronic types
dancing at raves and parties
keep trying to make actual /bleep/ tracks in a straightforward style a DJ would play but end up with weird IDM.
>Opinion to share?
get monitor speakers even if they're cheap ones. I spent too long using headphones and they really aren't good to mix with.
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/4ch2ij5h
>>
File: yaddyfruit.png (553 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
yaddyfruit.png
553 KB, 500x667
Got Sylenth1 last night. As someone who's trying to learn subtractive synthesis, how should I approach it? Download a bunch os presets and try to learn something out of them or just set sylenth to 'Default' and learn to produce the sounds out of thin air? Or both?
>>
>>61060747

on instruments for like 10+ years but on the computer 3
finished? somwhere in the area of 70-100
>Main genres?
vgm, jazz, synthwave
pizza
decent money in bands and video games, i wanna get paid for films but thats literally impossible unless you suck the jew dick good
>Opinion to share?
don't let your memes be dreams
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/1rxqdzxm
>>
>>61083816
making sounds from scratch and watch youtube tutorials.
and read the goddamn manual.
>>
>>61060747
around a year and a half
About 9 or so. Almost every time i am unhappy about the quality of my work so i just restart and try to do what ever i was doing better.
>Main genres?
Drum and Bass, Dubstep ect
Savant for sure. His creativity is what drives me to improve my style. Also SeamlessR, without him i would of gave up a long time ago.
Shit but i can see myself constantly improving
>Opinion to share?
Harmor is so freaking cool.
>WIP?
https://clyp.it/iezmfij4

Please give me your critical opinion on my WIP, i am trying really hard to improve the quality of my work. Thanks.
>>
>>61063240
Panning is fine with me if you want a really wide snare. You just have to be careful that the low frequency hit is from only one snare or it will sound too muddy. If you do do it then make sure to tune both snares/claps to the same pitch.
>>
>>61063773
>https://clyp.it/bniequkg
Sound pretty good. I think it would sound nicer if you made the kick a tad bit louder and sidechained the main voice pad thing with the kick.

To answer your question FL studio is fine as your DAW of choice. Most DAWs now pretty much have the same functionality anyway. If you want to do live performances i would suggest Abelton because its live mode is better than FL's but if you are comfortable with FL there really is no point changing to another DAW.
>>
Has anybody done any cool DIY stuff. I'm kind of interested in building FX since I realized I'm lacking that. I have a few synths and a sampler but not enough FX. Found this "the Wave" spring reverb kit that might be cool. Any other FX unit kits that are cool and relatively cheap?

Also I have a recommendation for an obvious but possibly overlooked lo-fi effect. Just play your audio out over your speakers and record it back in via your laptop microphone. Instant lo-fi sound which you can then mix with your main signal, if that's what you're looking for. Just an idea.
>>
Any suggestions on this? Know it needs more mixing but don't really know where to go with it right now.

https://clyp.it/uvlxlnib
>>
File: 1449346280191.gif (1 MB, 352x232) Image search: [Google]
1449346280191.gif
1 MB, 352x232
>Find a Tascam DP03 tracking machine used from a bin for $140
>Decide to give it a go

All of those years and moneys spend pursuing PC recording was for not. I have found the way, my brothers and sisters.

[spoiler]time to buy a DP32SD[/spoiler]
[spoiler]mastering mode is trash though, still gonna have to do that on the PC[/spoiler]
[spoiler]spoilers don't work[/spoiler]
>>
>>61083816
Personally, I learned very quickly watching Mark Doty's videos, following along on my synthesizer. I watched videos where I had the same synthesizer, and ones where he used a different one, and played with mine while he explained and programmed his.

You'll just confuse yourself trying to deconstruct complex presets - that's a more intermediate thing. You need to understand what each part does before you work with all of them as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV5FhZSrDVk
>>
File: ni-komplete-650-801.png (189 KB, 650x487) Image search: [Google]
ni-komplete-650-801.png
189 KB, 650x487
Hiya /prod/

I'm looking for a good audio interface with at least two XLR inputs (more than that is a bonus but I need at least two).

What are my best options?

I've been looking at this, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. It seems to tick all my boxes and has generally good reviews.
>>
I've been experimenting with dance music lately but creating drops etc. is a pain I have no idea what I'm doing.

Here's something I've been working on, how can I make it less repetitive?

https://clyp.it/0kvyxkjg
>>
Hey /prod/ not sure if this is the right place to put this; alas, I don't know where else to put it.

If you have the chance can you check out this track my band just made and provide some constructive feedback on mixing/music in general?

https://soundcloud.com/pure-october-510689517/halloweencameearly/s-31VhB
>>
>>61060747

>I got a 4 track about a year ago but it barely worked, so I didnt start getting into recording until this past summer
>none that are finished but i have a few "ideas"
>shoegaze, dream pop, experimental, "lofi"
>brian jonestown massacre, beck, the telescopes,
>beginner i guess, im not very good
>i am a bad producer
>What Is Producing? That is the question
>>
>>61086710
you should look up structuring your track and on building tension and then the drop/main part comes full on

I also like to sound design and get everything sounding decent unmixed with just a simple bass and melody loop before I actually start composing and then I write the track and save any loops i make I don't use as wav for other projects

then commit to audio and mix
>>
Anyone have advice for making tracks similar to Actress, Laurel Halo, and Andy Stott?
>>
>>61089738
>committing to audio before mixing
Man, I should start doing this shouldn't I?
>>
>>61062513
No. I don't really try and make dub techno. I listen to a bit of it, and I really like dub music from the 70's and 80's. My main influences come from the use of reverbs and delays though as I really like the sound of those two effects. I guess I'm still trying to find my genre.
>>
Other than 'kill yourself' do you have any advice for someone sampling mp3s? Where is the compression most noticeable? I think I could only reliably hear something off about open cymbals when I was testing myself and even then only on subpar mp3s. Might be more noticeable if I pitch things down, though. That's one thing I'm concerned about.
Also, would saturation effects likely obscure the artefacts or emphasize them? How about reverb? Compression?
>>
>>61091368
I use them and its perfectly fine. Not for a professional CD or album, and not for a client, but its fine for your own use. Use any source material you can, and fuck the naysayers. If the quality is ok to you, it will be ok to others with similar tolerance to you. Many people who dont know what to listen for can't even hear the compression of mp3. I've heard people put on a song from youtube, and sit there thoroughly enjoying it, while all I can hear is the audio-masked-to-shit cymbals and high hats.

I notice mp3 compression mostly on high end sounds like cymbals, or the sibilance of speech.

As long as you're happy with the quality, its fine to use for your own use. If I didn't sample mp3 from various sources, I wouldn't have made some of my soundscapes or wouldn't have added that extra layer of detail to some of my other pieces. Sometimes its hard to find certain specific sounds (sound you can't record yourself) and beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>61085915
>All of those years and moneys spend pursuing PC recording was for not. I have found the way, my brothers and sisters.
Sometimes I think I should just ditch computers altogether and record on tape. Put some soul back into the creation process.
Thinking of it, I DO have an old, not working tape machine laying around. I should get around to fixing it.

>>61085441
All I ever did was a sustain pedal out of wood and scrap metal.
>>
What should I do if I'm having a sound/genre/style crisis?

Sometimes I make more mainstream sounding stuff, other days underground, other days old school then other days more modern sounding, sometimes I think I want to make club/DJ orientated and structured songs then other days I feel I want to make more "song" type tracks. The thing is that it can't work under one alias because it's so different but I just want to settle on one sound and improve in it, because contrary to popular belief, experimenting with a lot of different sounds and genres doesn't help at all. I've just become a jack of all trades master of none that is shit and is embarrassingly bad considering the amount of time I've invested in this because I can't settle.
>>
>>61093529
Are you me?

I'd just go by two aliases, one for club bangers and another for more substantial music
>>
I've posted bits of this track twice already and gotten some great tips that I've tried to incorporate. Thanks, its been really helpful! I want to be done with it now, but me being an incompetent mixer I'd love to hear from you one last time if you could take the time to listen through this track before I just go ahead and post it.
Im also very unsure of the composition, this was one of those projects where I pretty much just had one 20 second part that I really liked and then went on to try and build a track around it, which I suspect is not the best approach for me.

Well, here it is. Any tips or feedback is much appreciated. https://clyp.it/pdedxpko
>>
https://clyp.it/m4uzc5ac
https://clyp.it/x5qcza0c

what should i do with these
>>
>>61086607
Focusrite 2i2
>>
3ish years
2, most of my stuff is just 30-40 second blips where I practice effects/different styles of recording/music
>Main genres?
Post-rock, noise pop, psycedelic-ish
Brad Laner (Medicine/Solo work)
Johnny Marr (catchy as fuck guitar)
Jesus/Mary Chain (really noisy, like their wall of sound)
Swirlies (most interesting music IMO, really like how the instruments tug and pull at each other for their songs)
Stagnation. I stopped music altogether for about 6ish months, starting to *slowly* get back into it
>Opinion to share?
Analogue > Digital
Think of music as a moving painting, it makes things easier when you think of a mix as a whole
>WIP?
I don't know what this means
>>
So I am looking to get some recording equipment for christmas and am wondering what I should get. I've done some reading and went to some stores and asked for info, but I still haven't figured out exactly what to get.

I already have a pair of studio quality headphones that I am going to use for mixing, but I still need an interface and a microphone. I want to record electric guitar, vocals, and a bit of keyboard. Not looking for professional quality, just something that doesn't sound like trash. I mainly want to record for music learning/exploring purposes, and to preserve ideas. The kicker is that I really only have about $200 to spend on everything, including mic stands/pop filters/cables and that kinda shit. I am not very concerned with using appropriate recording techniques at the moment, so I have no problem with recording vocals on a dynamic mic, etc. So long as it wont be offensive to listen to. I am going to be just recording in my basement with no kind of acoustic foam or any of that kind of stuff. What is my best bet?

I have been told that Scarlett is my best bet, but at $100 for their cheapest interface, it sucks up alot of my budget. Also been told a Shure SM57, but I don't know if it will be acceptable for vocals and it also sells for $100. If it would make a big difference, I could go up to $250, but not really any higher.
>>
Whats a good vst I can use to shift the pitch of vocals without touching the formants?
>>
>>61095300
quikquak pitchwheel
>>
>>61095201
>WIP
Wang In Pants, he's asking whether you're male or female.
>>
>>61069343
>he thinks analog is still the only way to get a good mix
it's not 2006 anymore grandpa
>>
File: IMG_1671.jpg (165 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1671.jpg
165 KB, 640x480
look what just came in the mail /prod/.

:^)
>>
>>61096323
Shame, they had good mixes then.
>>
anybody have an at2020? how are they?

thinking about getting one to record sounds with to turn into drum hits and stuff because i want something better than my zoom h1
>>
File: cover-front.jpg (302 KB, 1890x1888) Image search: [Google]
cover-front.jpg
302 KB, 1890x1888

who knows

>Main genres?
cheesy thrash metal

Diablo - Eternium, Wintersun, Sabaton - Carolus Rex, Kiuas - Reformation, Diablo Swing Orchestra

On engineering/producer duty in my band.

>Opinion to share?
moo hates the music i love and the music that i make and it makes me sad

still love it tho

>WIP?
https://soundcloud.com/klarstrup/exelerate-elysium-beta-vox-lead-solo
>>
>>61096509
fuck, I was thinking of getting an h1 for that. Not good enough?
>>
>>61096563
it's not too bad, a little bit noisy but that might be me just being clueless about noise reduction because i found this video where the guy seems to be getting pretty clean sound out of his
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGWcuGw8p1U
>>
>>61096509
>animugirlblowingchunks.jpg
It's an alright starter mic, but man what a boring sounding mic. I have 2 that I use as loaners for students learning how to record.
>>
File: IMGP9150.jpg (124 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9150.jpg
124 KB, 1024x678
Someone sent me a tin whistle for Christmas so I /prod/ded y'all a song.

https://clyp.it/fkj041mz
>>
File: mfw.jpg (12 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
12 KB, 320x320
>>61097269
>>
File: 1450377467655.jpg (26 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1450377467655.jpg
26 KB, 320x320
>>61097355
ha, noice. need more /prod/, pic rleated ^_^
>>
Clever god damn engineers, making slight differences between song versions with and without vocals so it's impossible to cancel out perfectly.
In this particular case there's a guitar mixed in with the vocal, and the guitar transients are sometimes faster, sometimes later in the vocal version, so there might be some flanging running.
Fuck this.
>>
>>61097575
probably not deliberate. prolly more to do with limiting, multiband compression, etc done to polish-up versions and stems. if you wanna do it pure you gotta go back to the unmolested multitrack. plus various forms of data compression fuck things up as well
>>
>>61097269
10/10, send demos to labels.
>>
>>61058912
Hey /prod/

I want to get into music production, and have (what I think) are many creative ideas with no clue on how to execute them. I'm saving up for a 13" 2013 MacBook Pro, a MIDI keyboard and pro tools 11.

Is there any other starter equipment I should cop? Anything else I should know? Once again I have no experience with music production, just a guy who loves music
>>
>>61097667
I've noticed that there's a little more hi-freq content in the vocal-less version, would make some sense if there was no reason to leave space for the vocal in the mix.
Part of it IS caused by multiband processing, sure, but that god damn fucking guitar is deliberate. It's clean sounding, and there wasn't need for flangering it up, but it fades in and out of phase when I set the delay on one track from one instant in time, so I'm going to have to automate the delay and introduce some comb filtering to the vocals.
>>
File: sdaf.png (34 KB, 274x244) Image search: [Google]
sdaf.png
34 KB, 274x244
>>61097773
will you be my business manager anon? i'll give you 15%
>>
>>61097856
>MacBook
Waste of money, get a PC, desktop if you can, because laptops are shit for anything but watching dvdrips alone.
>>
Red pill me on some god tier free VSTs /prod/. Tired of pirating everything.
>>
>>61098008
>Red pill me
keep your /pol/speak out of here
>>
>>61098008
SQ8L
Dexed
>>61098122
redpill me on how I can have my wife fuck other men pls
>>
>>61098008
sq8l, obxd, soneq, roughrider, vb303, sonigen modular, mausynth, tyrell, tunefish 3 & 4, phazor
>>
>>61098008
Synth1 is literally one of the best VA synth VSTs out there and it was always free

also there's nothing wrong with going /pol/ here >>61098122
so long as it's still production talk
>>
>>61098207
>there's nothing wrong with going /pol/ here
there's everything wrong with going /pol/ anywhere
>>61098193
>XD KEK MAYMAY
truly a quality board we should all strive to emulate
>>
>>61098008
>Tired of pirating everything
why though?
>>
>>61098259
ok you hate fun thanks for letting us all know
back to production, okay?
>>
>>61098349
no, i just hate /pol/. the people who take it seriously are objectively awful and the "it's satire!!1" crowd are easily amused edgelords
>>
>>61098194
>>61098193
>>61098207
Thank you bros.
Also sorry for stirring up /pol/ drama.
>>
How do I make some more interesting drum loops? I usually just have kick snare and hihat, but I'm looking for something more complex, with like chorus and verse patterns
>>
alright lads

probably someone said this already here

but native instruments is giving away their free gift right now

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/happy-holidays/?utm_source=website&utm_medium=newsbar&utm_campaign=Xmas2015

it is some shit from blocks for reactor 6 player
>>
>>61099305
it died down quickly enough, nothing compared to some of the shitstorms we've had in the past little while
>>
>>61099477
I know man

ive seen whole threads get ruined by probably 1 faggot
>>
https://soundcloud.com/frederickv/test/s-6MsKH

Allright I worked further on my current project.

What do you guys think. I think it is missing something but I honestly dont know what.

I will add fx tomorrow. And will stereo it up just a little more.
>>
>>61100180
It's missing the OP

>Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP : posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.
>>
>>61099393
Well shit, and I was hoping for some nice fx.
>>
>>61100320
me too I have way to many synths and shit already

soundtoys is doing a way better deal giving away 1 little version of their fx every week this month
>>
>>61100320
Also, fuck this shit.
>Reaktor_Blocks_Wired_Downloader.exe
>Downloader
Sure, let's use a downloader to run an installer off an iso image which we'll mount to a virtual drive that the downloader will install for your convenience.
>inb4 b-but it's logical
No, it's not, fuck you.
>>
>>61100351
I feel a little guilty typing in '0' every time.
>>
>>61100421
I don't

most charities give very little to the people who they claim to be helping

>>61100400

hell yea its annoying to deal with installing their shit
>>
>>61100400
This is why you get actually free plugins, instead of temporarily free plugins.
>>
>>61100451
I just noticed, Mikro Prism is free too. Was it always?

>soundtoys
That's the third plug I got from them for free this month, including that halloween deal. Nice way to end the year.

>>61100477
No, it's bullshit, stop trying to justify this stupid trend. I believe their paid plugins are also distributed this way.
>>
>>61100521
they gave away free ni replica delay and ni supercharger which I didn't get to get because they were limited time only

mikroprism they keep for free so you go to the full version reactor eventually
>>
>>61100521
I'm not justifying it, I'm recommending you to get actually free VSTs like >>61098194 instead.
>>
>>61100597
they are free to keep friend not temporary

they just limited versions of the players like if you load a payed library into kontakt 5 player it only goes for 15 minutes it has to say "powered by kontakt/reactor"

but I agree with you about freeware vst there a lot of quality ones

uhe has probably the best freeware synth tyrell
>>
>>61100597
Ah, sorry, I misread your post. The last time I mentioned this some guy was going out of his way to argue how it's better their way.
BTW that post was also me.
>>
>>61100593
>replika
>supercharger
You also missed Driver then.
>>
>>61100664

I hate missing out on free shit that goes paied later
>>
File: moneywellspent.jpg (34 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
moneywellspent.jpg
34 KB, 480x480
i keep seeing these pedaltrain things in my local classifieds for absurdly high prices

makes me wanna hack apart some old futon frames and see how many hundreds of dollars i can make from guitarists
>>
So how does kekked Reaktor 6 play with their service center running legit stuff? Anyone have any problems?
>>
>>61101297
reaktor 6 is separate from 5

there shouldn't be anty problems
>>
https://clyp.it/t1ndix5b

Trying something new with this one. Posted this about a week ago, made a bunch of changes but it's still a WIP. Got a lot of mixing to do and thinking about adding a ~1:30 quiet bridge in the latter half, would love to hear any opinions (but mostly critiques).
>>
>>61100293
allright srry. Didnt know.
>>
>>61101382
Well, it's not Tone2 Reaktor 6, am I right?
>>
>>61062513
it doesnt get more generic than this desu senpai
id say find something really of your own to add to your music.
>>
What should I get?

Akai-Professional-Synth Station 49 Controller
or
Hercules DJ 4780730 Instinct Controller
or
Hercules 4780722 DJ Controller with "Touch" and "Air" Controls
>>
>>61102374
https://youtu.be/PxYQQoYfMtQ
>>
File: url.jpg (8 KB, 249x202) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
8 KB, 249x202
>>61102374
>digital wannabe dj controller

maybe you should start with a guitar
>>
What are some VSTs similar to FL's Directwave? I enjoy what it does, but am looking something for more depth.
>>
>>61105959
halion 5 or kontakt
>>
>>61106045
Thank you.
>>
tfw u fuckin suck n wanna die
>>
>>61106507
Anon, keep producing. Create stuff as much as you can, let it take any direction it wants to take. If it sucks it sucks if it doesn't it doesn't. The only thing that's gonna make it work out for you is to become prolific - fight through and finish tons of projects over the years, even the ones that suck.

After awhile, even if you are a talentless POS, you'll still be better at this than anyone you know. If you have any talent whatsoever you'll hone your craft and have a true voice, and have something to offer the world. Even talentless hacks have to get güd to do hackwork.
>>
>>61106587
this

there is a saying I heard it goes like

"the master has failed more times than the beginner has even attempted"
>>
>tfw cannot listen to music and make music at the same time
>>
When you have a release do you guys attempt to master it yourself or do you send it out? or generally how much of the project do you do yourself? like the art and marketing and all that jazz.

I want to see some perspective because i've been doing everything myself and it's tiring, it's good experience tho
>>
>>61107289
some of the producers ive spoken to who are fairly successful like they play shows and sell albums do most things themselves except maybe mastering they have someone they know do it but some do themselves

for marketing and getting booked for shows everyone I talk to does it themselves like they have a mobile device in the studio and multiple social media accounts for networking
>>
>>61107361
yeah social media is key, whore that shit out, but getting followers to get the ball rolling can be tough. gotta start some drama with higher profile artists to get noticed these days lol everyone loves a good beef
>>
Well, I posted my small album:
https://effoharkay.bandcamp.com/album/sham-lu
/prod/ gave me a bunch of advice early on when I was making these and I finally just finished it up since there wasn't much left to do. Thanks guys for the help (if those who helped are still here lel). Onto the next project
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.