[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Considering that Pitchfork is universally reviled here, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: p4k.jpg (23 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
p4k.jpg
23 KB, 512x512
Considering that Pitchfork is universally reviled here, what music sites do you browse to read reviews of albums/bands you listen to and like?
>>
>>61054383
>liking music
>>
>>61054383
Rolling stones
>>
I don't read reviews or even go to review sites for recs any more. I go to them to read musician interviews and articles on album or musician retrospectives.
>>
>>61054383
The Quietus and Tiny Mix Tapes are both good at times
>>
I don't read reviews. Sometimes, if I don't have anything to listen to, I'll look at what P4K's reviewing.
>>
>>61054544
Yeah true, a lot of the time ill just see someone whos tastes i like talk about an album on twitter or something
>>
pitchfork
>>
>>61054544
This, also RYM. I still check p4k occasionally just to see what's happening, but imo they've really shifted their focus to stuff I just don't care about in the past few years
>>
The Wire
>>
>all these plebs who don't go directly to the label sites for new releases
>>
The Wire is the only decent music publication. In spite of what you think about their taste, they are actual journalists that write interesting articles as opposed to p4k or TMT that try really hard to be hip and funny and inject their own personal "brand" into their reviews
>>
i don't read reviews.
>>
>>61054417
this

i can't believe how stupid people can be sometimes
>>
>>61054736
Well yeah obviously, but where do you for stuff that isn't being released by a label you already like? Theres only like 4/5 labels i like enough to regularly check anyway, and sometimes a usually shit label (Rough Trade) will surprise me (The new Real Lies album)
>>
I honestly don't understand why people would use a stranger's opinion to decide which music to like. It seems really pathetic to me and reeks of insecurity.
>>
>>61054871
Lol, how do you find about music then, with literally no outside input? Just type random words into spotify? dickhead
>>
>>61054936
Radio, friends, searching a genre, Pandora what are you retarded?
>>
>>61054936
They all involve the opinion of other people, you ridiculous nonce
>>
>>61054383
Fact mag bruvv
>>
>>61054994
This was supposed to be at:
>>61054980
>>
>>61055012
Oh my friends are strangers? Also I'm not talking about finding music, I'm talking about reading reviews by strangers of music and judging your opinion off that.
>>
A good way to find new music outside of review sites is check out related artists, use rec sites like last.fm, go to forums for music, check out band members and side projects, listen to the inspiration of an artist you like then listen to their inspiration and repeat, etc.

Personally I don't think looking at review sites is the worst thing. Sometimes I'l check out pitchfork or something to see what they'very reviewed lately. I don't ever read the review, just listen to it and make up my mind on my own.
>>
>>61055043
>reading reviews automatically affects your judgement
Sometimes I just want to know what the album sounds like before listening to it and forming my own opinion.
>>
Stereogum....lol
>>
>>61055220
Why can't you just listen to it and form your own opinion?
>>
>>61055043
10/10 pedantics m8, thats not what you said, you were talking about finding music
>>
>>61055274
>I honestly don't understand why people would use a stranger's opinion to decide which music to like.

First post.
>>
>>61055291
"how do you find about music then?" this is what i asked you, and what you replied to with that list, i never asked how you form opinions
>>
>>61055331
And none of it involved seeking out the opinions of strangers.
>>
>>61055352
Yes it 100% did, as i had to patiently explain to you in an earlier post
>>
>>61055375
>friends
>radio in the car
>looking up bands in a genre

That's not seeking the opinions of strangers.
>>
Reviewers are shitheads. And typically wrong and petty in hindsight.
>>
>>61055394
Friends is still the opinion of other people, not sure why its different? Radio has DJs choosing what to play. Websites talking about genres will be curated as to which bands they put up there. All involve the opinions of others
>>
>>61055262
because my backlog is huge as it is and I need to shuffle what music fits my priorities more than other
>>
>>61054544
I like the writing style of The Quietus, but they tend to laud over an album. Just by getting reviewed there, it's safe to assume that they think the album is, at least, pretty solid. No actually ratings are given; most "scores" are inferred from the adjectives they use in the final paragraph.
>>
>>61054544
These two.
>>
>>61055478
>strangers

keyword strangers.

No one on /mu/ can admit they're wrong. They just go into reductionist arguments until all word definitions are meaningless. Hearing something you like on the radio, talking to your friends about music and looking up bands in a genre are fundamentally different than looking up what a music reviewer likes.
>>
>>61055555
What is the difference between strangers who professionally review music and strangers who DJ on the radio or write lists of bands in a genre?

You're just ignoring everything I say, its insane.
>>
>>61055628
I bet living life as a retarded person is fun.
>>
>>61055436
reviewing is an art by itself
>>
>>61055555
>getting quints when you're this fucking retarded
>>
>>61054383
TMT and The Quietus
>>
I like xsnoize
>>
>>61054383
>universally reviled here
no
>>
>>61055679
It would be great if you could put a tiny bit of effort into making it clear what the fuck you're on about, you useless fucking child
>>
The needle drop
>>
>>61054871
>>61054871

so you made literally all of this?
>>
rym,amazon, and google searching random sites/forums
reading scaruffi's dribble is funny also

but that's usually after me liking the album and seeing if there's anything else I've missed on the record that might enhance the experience.

Dislike anthony/p4k's fanbase of deciding to listen to a record based on their arbitrary rating
>>
>>61054383
Sputnik and PopMatters
>>
Why would I want to read a review when I can just listen to it myself?
>>
>>61055140
This. Regardless of the reviews and scores pitchfork puts out, they review what like around 1000 albums a year?

Just from sheer number of albums they review its a great place to discover something new. I usually listen through snippets of whatever they review that day and end up listening through anything that sounds interesting to see if it's any good
>>
File: 1442609361688.jpg (149 KB, 433x434) Image search: [Google]
1442609361688.jpg
149 KB, 433x434
>>61054643

>I don't read reviews. Sometimes, if I don't have anything to listen to, I'll look at what P4K's reviewing.

When You know you a Drone.

>>61054544

>and Tiny Mix Tapes are good

They're self-ironics, and sometimes cringe.

>>61054706

>I still check p4k occasionally just to see what's happening

Drone confirmed.

>>61054727

>The Wire

Cool af.

>>61054763

>The Wire is the only decent music publication. In spite of what you think about their taste, they are actual journalists that write interesting articles

This, + The Quietus. (AKA The Patrician Journal)

>>61054805

>i don't read reviews.

Cool.

>>61054871

>don't understand why people would use a stranger's opinion to decide which music to like. It seems really pathetic to me and reeks of insecurit

Because people are just simply consumers, simply followers close minded.

>>61054980

>Radio, friends, searching a genre, Pandora what are you retarded?

Radio still cool stuff, no lie, NPR, Beats 1 curated programs. Its cool. Certain programs of your local radio too. Really nicest stuff.
>>
File: 1427480846004.jpg (57 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
1427480846004.jpg
57 KB, 640x634
>>61055249
>>61055249

>Stereogum....lol

No, cause they're poppy half assed TMZ-Indie jokes.

>>61055011

>Fact mag

Sometimes they're wave riders. But they're cool to be honest.

>>61055220

>reading reviews automatically affects your judgement
>Sometimes I just want to know what the album sounds like before listening to it and forming my own opinion

No, most of the review-readers are influenciable common normie (or pleb), wake rider.

>>61055140

>A good way to find new music outside of review sites is check out related artists, use rec sites like last.fm, go to forums for music, check out band members and side projects, listen to the inspiration of an artist you like then listen to their inspiration and repeat, etc.

Exactly anon, but there are people that only looks top RYM/ top aggregrate music reviews "best" albums and after this, they download these music and make their "taste".

>>61055140

>Personally I don't think looking at review sites is the worst thing. Sometimes I'l check out pitchfork or something to see what they'very reviewed lately.

But its simply, you just have to confess that you're a drone and is not capable of get free of this prision called hype.
>>
File: 3fnhBUs.jpg (688 KB, 997x1028) Image search: [Google]
3fnhBUs.jpg
688 KB, 997x1028
>>61056067

>I like xsnoize

Cool site.

>>61056492

>The needle drop

Only for the pans and for the memes.

>>61057025

>rym

Most of time, no. Not trusted.

>amazon

Cool.

>google searching random sites/forums

Coolest.
>>61057025

>reading scaruffi's dribble is funny also

We off that.

>>61057025

>Dislike anthony/p4k's fanbase of deciding to listen to a record based on their arbitrary rating

Drones are cancer of the world.

>>61057139

>Sputnik

Triggered reviews, no.

>>61057139

>PopMatters

Dad critics try harders.

>>61057665

>Regardless of the reviews and scores pitchfork puts out, they review what like around 1000 albums a year?

>Just from sheer number of albums they review its a great place to discover something new.

Drone confirmed, Please leave.
>>
>>61054383
Allmusic has the best professional reviews. Short and concise. None of that pretentious English major bullshit you see on p4k.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.