[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>didn't even make top 50 with an 8.5 BNM so this is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9
File: vietcong.jpg (152 KB, 1069x921) Image search: [Google]
vietcong.jpg
152 KB, 1069x921
>didn't even make top 50 with an 8.5 BNM

so this is what happens when you upset SJWs huh
>>
god this album sucked so bad
one of the better albums to come out of "post-punk revival" but that isn't saying much
>>
It's what happens when you just make a middlebrow derivative post-punk album
>>
>>61050178
>>61050180
this album was great suck my dick

best post punk album this year
>>
Women were miles better than this. Pat Fleigal would still be alive if his brother gave a shit about him.
>>
>>61050145
ian cohen put it in his top 50

but anyway this album is really overrated even with the backlash. it's literally listen this heat-deceit once the album, but with terrible musicians
>>
>>61050195
it's garbage f.am
>>
you can tell people in this thread listened to it once if even. took me about 5 listens to get it and it still gets better with each listen. enjoy your accessible music lads.
>>
File: 1445223616169.jpg (38 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1445223616169.jpg
38 KB, 720x960
>>61050145
they put on a fantastic live show, but I do have to admit...
This album gets old realllllllllllllllll fast.
>>
>>61050229
is this bait

there's nothing inaccessible about run-of-the-mill post punk lol
>>
>>61050229
>enjoy your accessible music
>enjoys shitty post punk
kek desu
>>
It's no Enema of the State
>>
>>61050145
side 2 is just too much better than side 1

you may very well be onto something though
>>
>>61050247
>>61050300
>thinks post punk is bad
i guess not everyone gets it
>>
File: snapshot20090124011048.jpg (23 KB, 535x496) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20090124011048.jpg
23 KB, 535x496
This is literally Britpop with repetitive distorted noise all over. This album is trash and you're all fucking stupid for liking it.
>>
lmao /mu/ hates this album now?
>>
>>61050195
How about actually creative stuff like Protomartyr, pleb?
>>
>>61050384
nah post punk is mostly great, it's just viet cong that sucks
>>
>>61050433
nobody hates it. it's just an average album
>>
wrong kid died
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmwy_ZU6zQ
>>
>>61050435
but protomartyr actually got less creative this year

under color of official right was way better than agent intellect
>>
>>61050435
how the fuck is protomartyr creative when they are practically indistinguishable from the 1000 other 'post punk revival' bands of today
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPw7nlluRdc
only good post-punk revival band I've enjoyed
besides lower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liPjWze-8GE
also based dean blunt directed their video
>>
>>61050623
this
Iceage are the only modern post-punk band I've heard that are worth listening to
>>
FUCK ALL OF YOU, i like it and i dont care
>>
not an SJW, don't like the music Pitchfork hypes, but

>rock music
>2015

what are you really expecting here? "best post punk album of the year" fucking christ we're like 40 years post-punk at this point. it doesn't mean anything. it's a stupid fucking throwback genre for Gen Xers who are too self-conscious to be stupidly nostalgic about Journey. go and listen to actual forward-thinking music. it's honestly embarrassing at this point how easily you people will gobble up the same ideas over and over and over because you have Stockholm Syndrome with guitars
>>
>>61050841
>all guitar music is bad because people were doing it forty years ago
>>
>>61050145
Well I'm glad Susanne Sundfor album got a honorable mention considering they didn't even review it
>>
>>61050841
You're the cancer of this board. It's faggots like you that shit up the board with memerap and poptimism because "it's 2015" and you only listen to what's trendy. There's no reason why a 40 year old genre would produce bad music after a certain period of time, and I hate to break it to you faggot, but rap is just as old.

To the OP, pitchfork is all about rap and top 40 pop, not a surprise that the top 50 will be dominated by it.
>>
Lol they named it one of the best albums of the year and you're pissed
>>
>>61050841
you're going to interpret all opposition to your post as people that don't get what you're saying so I'm not sure why I'm even trying, but you really don't have a clue
Most modern indie is just the copying of the style of older and better acts (and not the actual reproduction of the essence) but to think that the actual instrumentation is anything to do with it is beyond naive
And honestly the production and delivery of Viet Cong was stale on delivery but the music itself was actually pretty fresh
>>
>>61050841
COME ON PEOPLE
IT'S 2015
HOW CAN YOU STILL LIKE WHITE MUSIC?
HERE, LISTEN TO THIS HIP HOP ALBUM, IT'S GOING TO BE A REAL CLASSIC
>>
>>61051050
They're pissed because they gave it an "honourable mention" meaning it didn't even rank in the top 50 of the year. He's also pissed because the list will be dominated by garbage like Art Angel and Vince Staples
>>
>>61051094
*Kendrick Lamar and Kendrick Lamar
>>
>>61051026
>if you're bored with rock that must mean you're a poptimist memerap cuck

There are so many other genres you stupid fucking rockist, how do drooling apes like you manage to use the internet
>>
>>61051106
He only has one album, but no doubt it'll be number 1. Everyone knows it. Art Angel will be in the top 10 too, despite having the same score as Viet Cong.
>>
>>61051121
>calls others rockists
>complains that people listen to rock in 2015

Yeah, you're not fooling anyone poptimist.
>>
why do u fags care so much about a stupid list.
>>
>>61050888
no, post-punk is bad because all of its ideas were used up forty years ago. guitar music as a whole is bad because in a time of scarcity of guitar music, bands that produce completely mediocre trash are still gobbled up by rockists who need to have new rock music regardless of actual quality
>>61051026
i specifically said i don't like the music that p4k hypes, and i've put in more time than i care to admit arguing with memerappers and poptimists on this board. sorry that it's hard to accept that being a blind c.uck for the small rock music industry left is just as bad as being one of them
>>61051087
refer to my first reply in this post where i clarify what i meant
>>
>>61051155
>BECAUSE MUH CULTURE

these fucking teenagers are angry that they can't use p4k to find the newest le indie music anymore and that they might actually have to become proficient at seeking out music they like more individually and appraising it on their own terms instead of getting a Pitchfork validation of their taste and easy roadmap to what they sadly perceive as good taste
>>
>>61050435
Protomartyr make the safest, most boring kind of post punk there is. And I actually like the band.

>>61050215
>guys from Women
>terrible musicians
Stop tallking out of your ass lmao
>>
>>61050145
What did they do to upset SJWs?
>>
>>61051156
>scarcity of guitar music
wat

rock music is still thriving. just because it's not trendy on pitchfork doesn't mean there aren't a shit load of guitar based artists making music.

regardless of what music you listen to, disregarding a genre because IT'S 2015 COME ON is fucking retarded and you're just as bad as a poptimist

kill yourself
>>
>>61051183
SJWs apparently think that having a revolution to remove a despotic leader and remove the influence of western imperialism is bad. SJWs talk this big game about resisting capitalism, and then when classcücks from Vietnam bitch and moan about their property rights and porky being slaughtered, they suddenly change their tune, and freedom fighters are a name that needs to be stigmatized.
>>
>>61051183
"SJWs" aren't real you fucking dip, but they're probably referring to the "controversy" over the band name. It has nothing to do with the end of year list though, p4k just doesn't promote rock music. Simple as that.
>>
>>61051198
again, i dislike the music because i have not heard a fresh, good guitar-based album since 2009, and it has to have been a few years before that that i last heard an original one
>>
>>61051124
Kendrick Lamar two times
Kendrick Lamar comparisons in all other entries
Kendrick Lamar as the voice of the oppressed (because music)
Kendrick Lamar as the ideal of all music
Kendrick Lamar as the voice of a generation
Kendrick Lamar objectively better than other genres of music
Kendrick Lamar at his peak
Kendrick Lamar as the pinnacle of the "hip hop age"
Kendrick Lamar as the writer of a love-letter to African American culture
Kendrick Lamar as wet dog smell
Kendrick Lamar as the logical conclusion to 2015 and 2016
Kendrick Lamar and Grimes because cultural relevancy = how good the music is
Kendrick Lamar and Grimes because post-ironic appreciation of pop
Kendrick Lamar and Grimes because they are a voice against all of the trouble in the world
A brave new world
Against hate (since any opposition is hate)
In a cage
On antibiotics
>>
>>61051230
Kek the ending makes this
>>
>>61051216
just because you have only liked two "guitar-based" albums in the last few decades doesn't mean that guitar based albums are "scarce"

if you seriously can only think of 2 good rock albums in ~20 years then you either haven't been listening to much rock or it's not your genre.

either way, dismissing any music that uses a certain instrument is really fucking retarded and you should kill yourself.
>>
>>61051216
>guitar based
the fact your thinking of it like this is a huge part of your problem
>>
>>61051260
it's a more direct and thorough way of summarizing the wider world of rock music. i'm sorry that my palette is wide enough that i don't sub-divide it into a million teensy tiny genres where the kids who dress in slightly different clothes get a whole new name for their shitty stupid version of reverb and three chords and verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus

>>61051256
you're moving the goal posts on what you're asking me to answer to. i didn't say that me disliking guitar-based music made it scarce. holy fuck. i am responding one last time because you clearly have taken a bludgeon to the head or are intentionally misreading my posts. these are two separate points.

>i don't like guitar-based music that has come out recently
>i like guitar-based music that came out before the 2000s for the most part, and continue to find good guitar-based music from those decades
>this indicates a slump in quality to me
>why is this?
>realize that rock music has moved out of the mainstream compared to earlier decades and that the underground has diversified
>see that every single "new" rock genre is a revival of an old one
>two conclusions
>one, that guitar music is scarce in quantity because why else would its listeners be so masochistic as to listen to a bunch of old tired garbage if there was actually the quantity for choice
>two, what rock music does still get made is stupid, derivative, revivalist garbage for teenagers who weren't there the first time
>bring up instrumentation to consolidate the music that i mean
>everyone gets buttblasted and thinks i dislike the fucking timbre of an electric guitar or something

i have listened to tons and tons and tons of rock music, i continue to enjoy rock music and find rock music i like that is new to me but old as far as release date. the rock music being made now is z-rate versions of older rock music. it is genre suicide to keep supporting artists who insist on making music that is so masturbatory with absolutely no new ideas
>>
>>61051348
underground of music in general diversified; i.e. you won't have as many teenagers picking up guitars as you would have in the 70s and 80s; now they also pick up laptops and synths
>>
I don't get why people are saying modern electronic music is good, it peaked in the 90s/early 2000s with big beat. Stuff today just tries to ape jazz and fails miserably
>>
>>61051394
what
>>
File: homepage_large.2dff0bfc.jpg (86 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.2dff0bfc.jpg
86 KB, 319x319
>>61050195
That's a weird because I'm pretty sure this album came out this year....
>>
>>61051401
Surrender by the Chemical Brothers isnthe perfect album that can never be topped. I will admit that Hip hop is pretty good right now, but only with the more experimental artists like Young Fathers.
>>
>>61051094
>implying there's anything wrong with Vince Staples
>>
>>61051423
That's a weird because I'm pretty sure this album came out this year....

>a weird
>>
>>61051348
>rock music is scare in quantity because i don't listen to it
>i only try listening to p4k core rock like tame impala and base all my opinions on this
>thing i dont like is obviously for teenagers because i said so
>old ideas are always better than new ideas
>other genres like pop and rap are not variations of old music despite the heavy use of samples of older music

all music is some variation of music before it. get over yourself and your "le 2015 listening to rock music" there's good music from every genre out there

now again, kill yourself
>>
>>61051348
I'm saying that generalizing music as being guitar based is putting to much emphasis on categorization in itself, you're doing exactly what you're saying you don't do. It's an instrument, nothing about it inherently defines the kind of music that it is used in.
>i'm sorry that my palette is wide enough that i don't sub-divide it into a million teensy tiny genres where the kids who dress in slightly different clothes get a whole new name for their shitty stupid version of reverb and three chords and verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus
Glad to hear this, this is the exact thing that is bullshit but I'm pretty sure that this is also something that only exists online in niche communities that the majority of people don't give a shit about.
But understand that "guitar based" music doesn't revolve around this mindset. The problems are the people and the culture, not the concept of guitar/rock music.
>>
>>61051348
Your Mum's pallette wasn't too big for my dick
>>
They needed to clip out the first two tracks and make it an EP. The album's an awkward size
>>
>>61050748
>Iceage
>worth listening to
top kek
>>
Protomartyr > Algiers > Viet Cong >>>> Ought
>>
>>61051615
yeah it's 2015 listening to rock music?? hahhaha my man. good thing we are born in the right generation am i rte?
>>
File: protomartyr-agent-intellect.jpg (364 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
protomartyr-agent-intellect.jpg
364 KB, 800x800
Along with Viet Cong earlier in the year, and Ought more recently, this is part of a wave of new post-punk albums that are countering the indie rock influenced post-punk revival movement and bringing post-punk back to its pretentious and monotonous roots. Everything you expect from a “classic” post-punk album is here, but that is also its downfall. This sounds incredibly forced. So many of the riffs here sound like the band have gone “hey, let’s write a riff that sounds so post-punk so that people will know we’re a post-punk band”, and that’s how half of these songs were born. Along with that, they put far higher priority on eclecticism and being left-field than any quality songwriting, with the only parts I can find interesting being a few drum parts and the vocals whenever he’s not in a monotone. Not bad, but a record of post-punk-by-numbers that ultimately serves no purpose in the greater narrative.
>>
File: 1421664002640.jpg (45 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1421664002640.jpg
45 KB, 460x460
Jesus Christ, you fucking plebs actually think this album is bad smfh...It really says something about the nature of this board, you guys have probably never seen Viet Cong in an actual small DIY vennue either I bet
>>
>>61051423
This and the new Self Defence Family album are the only good post punk stuff i heard this year. Assumed I'd like protomartyr but it was very boring
>>
>>61051615
lmao okay bro aren't you fucking patrician
>>
>>61051641
/mu/ is full of right generationers and p4k drones, no surprise
>>
>>61051632
>>61051664
The vocals are legitimately some of the worst I ever heard
>>
>>61051106
They already gave it to a memerap album last year. They'll give AOTY to Sufjan because he has a superficially ethnic-sounding name.
>>
>>61051654
Self Defense Family fucking blows pal
>>
>>61051672
It's punk you dingus
>>
>>61051674
lmao keep telling yourself that. TPAB won AOTY the second it was released. pitchfork is going to move more and more into poptimism and hip hop
>>
>>61051675
What and fucking Viet Cong are good? lol fuck off mate
>>
>>61051654
self defense family is post hardcore familia
>>
File: 1447059603482.jpg (102 KB, 500x646) Image search: [Google]
1447059603482.jpg
102 KB, 500x646
>>61050178
>confusing best with better
>>
>>61051672
>i need clean vocals
>>
>>61051754
The newest album is more post-punk imo, but i get where you're coming from
>>
>>61051207
>"SJWs" aren't real
Sorry, what? Have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>61051920

they are real but they are a vocal minority
>>
I actually really liked that viet cong record. Can anyone recommend anything like this that they thought was better?

Checking out protomartyr, women, lebanon hanover, lower, iceage, ought, girl band.
>>
>>61050145
>That description
Holy fuck are all reviews as idiotic as that?
>>
>>61052098

>being this new
>>
>>61052119
Sorry senpai, don't read reviews.
>>
I personally preferred Women's albums, but I think this is a good revival of the band after the suicide.

It's a more poppy and less experimental take, but it was very catchy. There wasn't a song on there that I didn't like.
>>
>THIS POST-PUNK BAND IS GOOD
>NO ITS NOT
the thread
>>
>>61051348
I completely agree with you, although when you say it out loud it makes you sound like a dick. I haven't even heard Viet Cong desu, but the fact that this recycling has been going for some 15 years already (AKA a generation) is making me really sad.
>>
>>61052190
>after the suicide.
kek. you realize it was a car crash right
>>
if any of you are actually defending any modern rock you are retarded. there hasnt been any ood rock since the 90s. i guess maybe leaves turn inside ou was the last good rock album besides like bands like swans or zs who fall outside of the basic rock spectrum.
>>
>>61050435

b-but anon, both are pretty great
>>
>frozen niagara falls not even top 50
fuck shitfork, FNF is AOTY
>>
>>61052968
I mixed up my band deaths, sorry
>>
>>61050145

it's indie trash, but so are you, which is why you can't tell
>>
>>61051348
What are your top 5 genres?
>>
>>61050195
who the fuck listens to post punk in 2015
>>
>>61053572
post punk
post punk
post punk
post punk
crunkcore
>>
>>61051941
I agree.
>>
>>61050841
ITS 2015
>>
many good releases in honorable mentions (viet cong not being 1 off them obv) i bet dis list is much better then the actual top 50 will b
>>
>>61050145
>listen to album
>first 3 or 4 tracks are garbage but the last half is good
>sjws mad that their name is viet cong
>like them even more now
>put it on my 2015 aoty list
>they change their name because sjws complained
>remove from aoty list
>>
>>61054302
>who are you may may arrowing
>>
>>61053016
Catch My Shoe by The Ex (or any album by them)

Also, Women made objectively good music, so there's that.
>>
>>61050841
Anon's right. Come on guys, it's the current year.
>>
>>61050313
Underrated post.

Truly nothing is on the level of Enema of the State. Music peaked there.
>>
>>61050841
Anon's right guys, it is literally the year 2000 + 15, stop pretending to like guitar music and embrace Carly Rae Jepson as your new god.
>>
>>61050145
It didn't deserve Top 50 musically. They were a hype band, and lost all value to Pitchfork when they upset the SJWs.
>>
>>61050435
you managed to name a band even more generic than viet cong
>>
>>61050748
algiers
>>
>>61051640
Brilliantly put!
>>
>>61052065
Death of Lovers - Buried Under A World Of Roses
Eagulls - Eagulls
and of course Wire - Pink Flag
>>
Holy shit this thread is damn fucking cancerous.

>memerap
>poptimism
>rockism

You're all such special snowflakes.

This whole goddamn internet generation is so fucking stupid.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.