[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, can we admit this was mediocre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: mbv.jpg (82 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
mbv.jpg
82 KB, 658x658
Now that the dust has settled, can we admit this was mediocre as fuck?

I listened to it on the day it came out, listened to it again a few days later and still thought it was "meh."

Gave it a final chance yesterday and I'd have to say it's a solid 6/10 at best.
There's a reason why this album sat on the shelf for 17 years.
>>
>>61048964
Seconded. After the first track its a real snoozer.
>>
First half is good. Could give a fuck about the second half although it's not bad.
>>
>>61048964

Still love it. Whole album rocks. One or two sub-awesome.
>>
>>61049016
> Not loving Wonder, the start of a bold new genre: Jet-Engine-Core
>>
Still think it's better than Loveless, and I never listen to one without the other

Now where's that fuckin' EP, Kev?
>>
also this fuckin track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0axgeNbWU
>>
>>61048964
There's a reason why you are making this thread to cope with your insecurities of being a fucking pleb who can't into mbv.
>>
>"Now that the dust has settled"
>On an album that came out in 2013
>>
it's pretty good
>>
gr8 album I have it on vinyl

Still listen to it occasionally
>>
start of only tomorrow tho
>>
>>61049053
same
>>
>>61048964
>can we admit this was mediocre as fuck?
That is how this album is widely regarded.
>>
File: babbys first music.jpg (93 KB, 698x900) Image search: [Google]
babbys first music.jpg
93 KB, 698x900
>>61049971
>pleb
>can't get into what under any name would have just been another piece of shit in the sewage system that is shoegaze music besides loveless and lovesliescrushing
>>
>>61050002
well he isn't wrong
>>
No. If you like Loveless, I can't imagine you having a problem with this album. It's basically a continuation.
>>
>>61050967
> It's basically a continuation.
More like "It's a basic continuation".
>>
mbv is pretty amazing. I like it better than anything they have ever put out. The songwriting is a good step above Loveless and I think the high points on this album are the best music they have made.
>>
The first three songs are great.
>>
>>61049139
Best track on the album t bh
>>
It has a few really great songs but it's too inconsistent
>>
>>61048964
As good as Loveless. Blankets of textured sounds
>>
>>61048964
Most of it sounds like Loveless outtakes. The two standouts are In Another Way and Wonder 2, the only ones that sound like they actually progressed as a band. The rest is dull as fuck pop.

People who act like it's as good as Loveless or better are trying way too hard.
>>
>>61050967
No. Loveless was more abrasive and sensual at the same time. mbv replaces textures with simple repetition and melodies that long outstay their welcome
>>
>>61053050
You're trying way too hard for saying the standouts are those two failed experiments instead of the ones with the best songwriting (Only Tomorrow, Who Sees You and If I Am)
>>
>>61048964
I say 5/10 at best.
>>
>>61053094
lol
>>
I'd say the highs are as high as Loveless, but there aren't nearly as many of them.

On a related note I'm really sad to say that on listening to Loveless recently it's starting to sound dated to me.
>>
File: 1352672291239.jpg (6 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
1352672291239.jpg
6 KB, 237x213
>>61053103
You sure showed me, I'll think twice next time I make a post like that
>>
>>61053185
good man
>>
>>61053050
A lot of them are from the Loveless sessions, or at least around that time.
>>
>>61053495
I know. And clearly there's a reason they were left out.

>>61053094
Loveless was more about the textures and experimentation than the actual songwriting anyway. In Another Way and Wonder 2 are the only tracks that really innovated on mbv in that regard. The rest is just doing more of what worked on Loveless and frankly worthless for that reason.
>>
>>61048964
>>61048989
Plebeian scum. m b v is great.
>>
File: P697x571-01513.png (35 KB, 697x571) Image search: [Google]
P697x571-01513.png
35 KB, 697x571
Almost as good as Loveless, and a great album after such a long time.

btfo non-vacuum plebs
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.