[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you don't agree with this you REALLY need to reconsider
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 625x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 625x367
If you don't agree with this you REALLY need to reconsider your life.
>>
>>61047340
The first sentence is absurd. The second sentence is embarrassing. The third sentence is completely correct.
>>
>>61047340
>she removed it
lol PUSSY
>>
I'm pretty sure most people who use the term aren't rich.

I kind of agree though that sell out is used way too much and is kind of losing its meaning because it's applied to anyone that doesn't stay an obscure indie darling.
>>
based
>>
>>61047340
stop making the same thread
>>
>>61047389
Sup my fellow redditor!!!
>>
>>61047400
haha nice one!!
>>
>>61047340
omg this is so true
slay girl yasss
>>
>>61047400
whats your favorite queen song?
>>
>>61047364
it's not correct if you consider how people who are already in poverty should handle their situation. lot's of really great artistic stuff comes from poverty. the same can't be said about grimeth. only shows she's stupid and retarded
>>
File: received_542498755905013.jpg (27 KB, 670x418) Image search: [Google]
received_542498755905013.jpg
27 KB, 670x418
>>61047417
>>
and you people like this ugly little gnome bitch? give me a break
>>
>>61047340
this tbqh
>>
>>61047364
except it has nothing to do with romanticizing poverty, its an attack at someone's integrity you fucking melon
>>
File: I'm bein honest.jpg (28 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
I'm bein honest.jpg
28 KB, 540x960
>>61047340
well, there was nothing to sell because her music was shit to begin with
>>
it's fake
>>
surprised more people aren't defending her here tbqh
>>
I'm pretty much happy for any musician who "makes it". Christ knows, if you can find any way out of the 9 to 5 you need to grab hold and never let go.

It's probably teenagers who throw the term around. I wish they'd stop sucking the fun out of things.
>>
>>61047489
"Sellout" definitely attacks someone's integrity, but it clearly also is a shot at someone who "made it." It's effectively shaming someone for choosing to not be poor.
>>
>>61047340
>kind of
>desu

Why do millenial SJWs constantly infantalize their own speech?

Other examples:

>, like,
>Seriously?
>I can't
>>
>>61047593
not only wrong but moot. grimes was never poor. she's a rich, white, female.
>>
>>61047623
The tweet didn't say that someone had called Grimes a sellout.
>>
>>61047644
someone clearly did tho
>>
>>61047609
I was directly quoting the tweet, and the filter still fucked it up.
>>
>>61047656
Just because she's ranting about it doesn't mean someone called her that.
>>
>>61047531

no its not, she deleted it after I tweeted her management about it
>>
>>61047678
that must've stung...
>>
>>61047711

she didn't even block me doe
>>
>>61047721
I'm just trying to imagine the headfuck of realising that she is owned by the music industry now
>>
>>61047675

Bruh, it really does though.
>>
>>61047675
>make indie album
>get indie cred & and indy fanbase
>make poppy record
>tweet this around the same the album comes out
she was called on it, and she tweeted that because she was insecure about it and had to reassure herself that:

1. their claims are an invaluable insult
2. it's only said by rich white males
3. there's nothing wrong with getting money
>>
>>61048538
She knew from the start that she was going to sell out. Just another move in the game.
>>
>>61048635
GRIMES IS AN INDUSTRY PLANT!
>>
>>61048886
what female artists since 08 or so haven't been?
>>
>>61047340
>implying something that is offensive must be wrong
>ad hominem
>stereotyping

Good christ
>>
lots of the greatest musicians right now are white male jazz musicians who haven't sold out and who aren't rich so i don't think what she's saying makes much sense
>>
desu if I created anything and could be rich as fuck I'd sell out in an instant
>>
her early stuff was pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4eafFd2o0g
>>
>>61047340
>says the upper class white quirky girl
>>
wow white males really are to SWJ types what Jews are to /pol/
>>
>>61047412
Bohemian Rhapsody!
Nothing really matters too meeeeeee....
TO MEEEE
>>
Selling out has less to do with romanticizing poverty and more to do with compromising your artistic integrity because your now on a labels leash.
>>
>>61047364
This romanticizing bad things meme has to stop, Romanticizing shitty situations makes them more bearable.
>>
>>61047340

is tb.h acronym a normal practice on twitter?
>>
>>61049470
Well you only have 140 characters so people abreviate a lot.
>>
gah damn. Grimes is cool. she fw bad brains and i'll still smash her
>>
File: 1442439139311.jpg (23 KB, 368x350) Image search: [Google]
1442439139311.jpg
23 KB, 368x350
>>
>>61047741
Don't know anything about her, can you explain this?
>>
>>61049591
\m/
>>
>>61049205
basically this
it's also a funny generalization to make regarding the people who use the term considering it's thrown about by poor punk fans all the fucking time
>>
>>61050046
>implying those "poor punk fans" aren't rich white posers
>>
>>61049639
the situation is:
1. she releases a fairly good album in 2012 that gets the attention of p4k
2. she rides the hype for the album, releases a couple of music videos that are lauded as 'important' and 'necessary' purely because she is female
3.she doesn't like that particular brand of tokenism, and takes to twitter to decry it
4. she doesn't release any new material for about 2 years, which brings us to now, the hype surrounding this new album is insane
5. the content on this album is more or less a watered down version of the stuff on her previous album, and so she takes to twitter to tell everyone that she "totally hasn't sold out guys"
6. This is noticed by her managerial team and she is forced to take it down or lose her record deal, she has been fucked by the long dick of the music industry
>>
sellout is only applied to white people though, if it's a black guy it's just "making it" and people cheer while they splurge money on lamborghinis
>>
>>61050252
I understand what you mean but to be fair. majority of rappers gives the listener some background info on where he/she grew up at. and his living conditions
where as majority of white people like grimes keep it hush hush on how they lived before music.

wasn't grimes mom running for mayor in canada ?
>>
>>61047340
We've gone over this before, good artists don't need to compromise their vision to appeal to a wide audience.

If you have to sacrifice your vision in order to make your art more popular then you're probably just a shit artist.

Grimes isn't a sell out. I'm sure she's trying to sell out, but she's a hack shit artist who couldn't make good music to save her life.
>>
>>61047364
this
>>
she looks like a fucking neanderthal. eyebrows of a grizzly bear, gigantic ears, and it looks like her parents tried to suppress the growth of her nose as a child by placing a bowling ball on her face every evening when she slept. 0/10 would rather fuck a battle droid.
>>
>>61047593
it's shaming them for sacrificing artistic integrity to earn more money

almost every artist that gets hated on for "selling out" is usually big enough of an act that they're not living in poverty anyway. but personally as a poor musician id never sacrifice my integrity for money because money cant buy that , it is who i am.
>>
>>61050584
>but personally as a poor musician id never sacrifice my integrity for money because money cant buy that , it is who i am.
You've clearly never seen a check for the rights to have one of your songs played over a car commercial.
>>
>>61050584
But with money you can buy musical or other neccessary equipment needed to make your art. Not to mention the security the money brings you takes a big weight off your shoulders.
>>
>>61050642
but is that sacrificing my artistic integrity? no.
changing my sound to make it more accessible is
>>
>>61050801
Until others see you as an artist, chum, all this talk of artistic integrity is bunk.
You'll never really know if you'll sell out until someone offers you cold hard cash.
>>
>>61048984
>jazz
>white
>2015
>greatest anything
>>
>>61047340
that thin line between contentment and poverty tho
>>
>>61050801
This is not based on you personally, but making your music more accessible is not necessarily a bad thing; many artists make art (not music per se but creative endeavours in general) that is too much based on the artists own experience of making it. Art, however, is most of all intended for consumption and communication.

Labeling art as "inaccessible" is often (but not always, of course) just a pretentious way of saying it is uninteresting and doesn't communicate much.

"Art with integrity" is often not as much honest as it is egocentrical and lacking in universality.

Now, being a crowd pleaser is also bad, obviously. Occasionally there's someone like Shakespeare who is both able to please the crowd, cater to literally everyone (the reason so many Shakespeare plays feature lines being repeated in different wordings/articulations is because of him communicating with different societal classes), and create absolute art of the absolute highest, flawless caliber. However, Shakespeares don't come by too often.
>>
>romanticizing poverty is lame
Yeah but romanticizing your schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder is SO COOL BRO !!11 XDDDD

SHES SO GENIUS AND CREATIVE LOOOLLLLL

- xoxox
>>
>>61047340
There's nothing I like seeing more than an musician succeed while maintaining their integrity as an artist
What Grimes did was textbook selling out, in that she sacrificed any credibility (or whatever eidolon of it she might have had before) for the sake of fame and money
>>
>>61050958
>However, Shakespeares don't come by too often.
Every writer on >>>/lit/ and every musician on >>>/mu/ is the next prolific artist. Where have you been?
>>
When will they just start making concentration camps for every self-righteous, upper-middle class white SJW in their 20's?

They're seriously starting to become a cancer in modern society.
>>
>>61050926
COME ON PEOPLE
IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR
>>
I disagree with the premise that the only people who use the term "sell out" are rich, white men. Most people who use the term are the opposite of rich, that's why they look down on people who sell out for money. The term may be used by men more, but that's a product of the music industry being mostly men. By this logic, the term is used as an insult to mostly men. It's not a gendered insult at all. I have no idea where race comes in either. Hip hop artists have critiqued others for selling out, jazz musicians, etc. Not every criticism is motivated by sexism/racism, and I say this as a feminist.
>>
>Grimes acting like most of the people she talks to aren't rich and white
>>
File: grimesmachtfrei.jpg (88 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
grimesmachtfrei.jpg
88 KB, 500x335
>>61051059
Claire loves dem concentration camps
>>
>>61051059
because all opposition to them (like your post) fuels their fire
they label everything against them as ignorance and this only gives them more of a cause (from their perspective)
>>
File: 1449222922187.jpg (78 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1449222922187.jpg
78 KB, 612x612
Hfw nerds online have non stop threads about her
>>
>>61051138
she probably thinks nerd is an offensive term 2B1est
>>
>>61051138
>nerds
wow. nerd is an offensive slur. most people who use the term nerd = white, cisgendered, straight men. please check your privilege
>>
>>61049276
This romanticizing bad things meme has to stop.
Romanticizing shitty situations is offensive to people who are in bad situations.
>>
>>61051289
What if you're in a bad siuation yourself and are romanticizing it?
>>
>>61051289
not selling out != living in poverty
>>
>>61051289
what are you 6?
do not give a fuck about your feelings m80
>>
>>61051289
you probably shouldn't name yourself "Suicide" then lol
>>
>>61051328
>>61051351
>>61051386
>>61051399
You fucking realize I was only pretending to be retarded right
>>
>>61047340
>if [something normal] then [you're crazy]
>peple reply to this
>>
>>61047364
Agreed
>>
>>61050991
its not a disorder when its fake made up and being used to deliver a product to your fans... retard.
>>
>>61047364
/thread
>>
Second sentence is pretty baseless (people on mu use the term all the fucking time and most of us are probably middle class) but first and last sentence are true. But just because a term is offensive doesn't mean it shouldn't be used when it's true
>>
>>61047364
true
>>
Poe's law in effect
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.