[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: albums you never understood the appeal of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8
File: Merriweather Post Pavilion.jpg (2 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Merriweather Post Pavilion.jpg
2 MB, 1500x1500
ITT: albums you never understood the appeal of
>>
>>61036618

Sounds like the beach boys

Animal Collective is the reincarnation of the beach boys in our time, specifically panda bear and his output

if you dont understand anco you probably dont even understand music and happiness
>>
>>61036672
shit /mu/sicians say
>>
>>61036618
I'd say 70% of the stuff on this board man, it all seems to be a competition to who can "be into" the most obscure artist
>>
>>61036618
I always considered AnCo to be an entry point to more interesting music than most people ever listen to. It's a great band to challenge peoples appreciation and understanding of common patterns of rhythm. It's a great introduction to more interesting and unique sounds being used in inventive ways. If someone can appreciate an AnCo album or two, they are probably all a go for getting into more interesting music.
>>
>>61036686
>Reviews noted the album is Animal Collective's most accessible, as well as a culmination of their previous work. Many have said it is Animal Collective's most Beach Boys-like album,[38]
>>61036732
haha you cant into avant garde because you are too egotistical
>>
Pretty much anything by these guys. They're alright I guess. But a somewhat lamer version of The Doors.
>>
>>61036736
whats more interesting than anco, smartass?
>>
>>61036736
This. And Radiohead too I think, although a lot of people mistake them for the pinnacle of music but there's more shit out there.
>>
>>61036746
Thinking music reviews and journalism hold any weight

Shoo shoo bandwagon boy
>>
>>61036789
Absolutely for Radiohead
>>
>>61036799
>citation from wikipedia
>bandwagon
lol
>>
>>61036767
I apologize if it came off that way, I did not intend for it to. There are movements on Strawberry Jam, MPP, even CHz that are poppy and have hooks - things that a listener who isn't as much of a music enthusiast can grab onto during a first listen. Alot of sounds presented in their work will cause some disonance at first listen, but I would certainly pressure a friend or colleague to give Animal Collective a listen before passing them onto acts like Aphex Twin, The Flaming Lips, The Books, or Oneohtrix Point Never.

I personally think Animal Collective has produced better and more interesting music than the example artists I just listed, but I also think Animal Collective would be an easier listen to someone who is more casual about their music listening than the artists I listed above.

I hope this makes my point more clear, I do not mean to rob AnCo of any merit. They are one of my favorite bands of all time.
>>
>>61036618
I don't get any of Death Grips' albums at all ever at all.
>>
File: yep.gif (4 MB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
yep.gif
4 MB, 350x250
>>61036732
>>
>>61036618
there is no hope for you, OP
>>
>>61036789
Most definitely, Radiohead is great for this as well.
>>
>>61036955
i would honestly start a person off listening to the bands you mentinoed, minus Point Never, BEFORE letting them try AnCo...
>>
>>61036732
If you think the artists /mu/ talks about are "obscure", then i dont think yOur opinion is needed
>>
File: it'smywifeandit'smylife.jpg (55 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
it'smywifeandit'smylife.jpg
55 KB, 600x600
This. Is there anything substance to it besides it being noisy and 2edgy4u?
>>
>>61037021
Really? That is interesting to me. I did not get into acts such as those until I grew to love AnCo. I have a good buddy of mine that frequents this place like I do and he was the same way. I know some of the early work of AnCo is hard to digest for even the most seasoned listener of experimental music, but I feel that their more recent material can be quite accessible, which is a wonderful thing.

This feeling is completely based on Anecdotal experiences, so you very well may be right.
>>
>>61036968
Aggressive, masculine energy and some interesting production. Their fanbase gives them a horrible name but they do make some cool music, check out The Powers That B if you haven't. Their less-good releases are more popular because they're accessible and can be memed, I cringe for everyone who must hear Guillotine and say "THIS is Death Grips?"
>>
>>61037074
how the fuck is that album edgy
>>
>>61037074
Why don't you people understand music that was before your memes? Literally nobody had your supposed mindset
>>
File: Duckface.png (25 KB, 141x131) Image search: [Google]
Duckface.png
25 KB, 141x131
>>61036767
AnCo's whole discog is pretty fucking stellar but its fucking stupid to say there's no band more interesting than them. That's pretty close minded.
>>
>>61037098
All those bands, besides maybe The Books, were around way before AnCo, so I would introduce them first, especially the flaming lips' soft bulletin

It also depends on the person. after the introduction from the other bands, do i start off with the noise stuff or go to the pop stuff?
>>
>>61037207
never implied that at all, dumbass, only responded to his post
>>
>>61037232
>If someone can appreciate an AnCo album or two, they are probably all a go for getting into more interesting music.
>whats more interesting than anco, smartass?

How is that not what you implied unless you were being sarcastic?
>>
>>61036618
Abbey Road to be quite honest
I loved Sgt. Peppers Mystery Tour Revolver and Rubber Soul (haven't gotten around to listening to the entire white album) but I cannot for the life of me understand all the love for Abbey Road.
>>
>>61036618
Fucking kid a. Ok comp is great though
>>
File: cover.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
my first impression was: painfully average, not worthy of being called the best album of the decade. i still mean to give it a second chance tho
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 300x270) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 300x270
>>61036618
Summerteeth was so much better.
>>
File: Yeezus.jpg (76 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Yeezus.jpg
76 KB, 600x600
It's just a bad version of Death Grips

>inb4 "implying Death Grips aren't bad"
>>
>>61036672
>dont even understand music and happiness
>dont understand happiness

you're probably right senpai
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.