[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What will be the album of the year /mu/? jk i know it will be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: pitch.jpg (24 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
pitch.jpg
24 KB, 512x512
What will be the album of the year /mu/?
jk i know it will be To Pimp A Butterfly :^)
>>
>>61032695
No one wins AOTY twice, which is why Yeezus didn't get it, even though it was the highest rated among fans and staff.
>>
>>61032695
Marcel's pick for AOTY was Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld's 'Never Were the Way She Was.'

How good of a AOTY choice is this?
>>
Father John Misty probably.
Seeing from the amount of stuff he's done in the last year with Pitchfork, exclusive shows, that over/under. They have practically sucked his dick for an entire year straight, and him vice versa.
>>
>>61032754
They're owned by Conde Nast now.
>>
>>61032798
>8.8
>AOTY
R u havin a laff
>>
>>61032801
Why should that matter?
>>
>>61032821
He's like P4Ks indie sweetheart of the year senpai.
And as I said he's done so much stuff with pitchfork in 2015 it's really hard to see him not getting it.
>>
>>61032821
the knife won AOTY in 2006 with a lower score
>>
>>61032801
This. It's going to be Kendrick Lamar and it's going to be progressive because it was a black man who was able to do it.
>>
TPAB would be a worthy recipient of AOTY

That being said, I can't wait for the inevitable /mu/ butthurt when a *gasp* MAINSTREAM album is given a meaningless award by some hipster review website that other hipsters take way too seriously.
>>
>>61032847
>pitchfork has spent the entire year trying to wipe away their reputation as a white indie site only to give AOTY to typical white indie bullshit

you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>61032837
>They start reviewing Adele
>They start reviewing Beiber
>Why does it matter that they are now owned Vanity Fair, GQ, and Teen Vogue
>>
>To
>Pimp
>A
>Butterfly

This is still the most cringeworthy title for an album I've ever heard. I can't believe people are so normal about it.
>>
>>61032928
Idk where the you get that from bud.
Have you seen the 2015 BNM list?

It's Father John Misty kek
>>
In Colour or Currents. Spank me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>61032967
giving him a positive review is different from giving him AOTY

of course pitchfork still needs white indie to peddle but their focus has clearly shifted toward pop music

the AOTY will be pop or rap music, most likely TPAB

>but they already gave lamar AOTY once

which is why it makes pefect sense for them to give it to him a second time and make a big bombastic deal out of it
>>
>>61032754
I dont see why they wont break that rule this year

I mean looking at their top tracks of the year list, tpab has two songs in the top 4, and the only thing between them is a Drake single and a jamie xx song that is only there because young thug is on it
>>
>>61033041
>Good Times rated better than Loud Places

Embarrassing.
>>
It'll probably be To Pimp a Butterfly. I want to believe it goes to Carrie and Lowell though
>>
In hindsight, I can't believe they didn't just give TPAB a 10. No other album will ever better fit what they're going for
>>
File: 2.png (125 KB, 470x371) Image search: [Google]
2.png
125 KB, 470x371
>>61032754
what is Radiohead?

R E K T

E

K

T
>>
To pimp a butterfly will win this year because of the racial tension in America right now. Last year it was Run the Jewels 2 and that was the year of Ferguson. Honestly if it doesn't win I will be utterly dumbfounded.
>>
>>61033093
MBDTF fit it better because the only think they care about is hype and context
>>
>>61033093
the last 10 they gave was to a hip hop album, if the next 10 after that was again given to hip hop again the profiteering cynicism of P4K's attitude towards hip hop would be too obvious and too hard to swallow for a lot of people

P4K's attempts at becoming the 2010s rolling stone(complete with total feigned exploitative "social sensitivity") is something a lot of people are already contemptful of and suspicious about, so they can't afford to go all-out yet
>>
Let's play "Guess the Top 10" and see who is the closest.

#1 Kendrick
#2 D'Angelo
#3 Sufjan
#4 Grimes
#5 Jamie xx
#6 Courtney Barnett
#7 Tame Impala
#8 Vince Staples
#9 Deafheaven
#10 Miguel

Father John Misty BTFO at #11
>>
>>61033072
>Literally everything about their list
Embarrassing desu
>>
>>61032938
This. Ha! Fuck Shitfork.
>>
>>61032871
that was 2006 Pitchfork m8
they changed in 2010
>>
>>61034175
#1 Jamie xx
#2 Kendrick Lamar
#3 Sufjan Stevens or D'Angelo
#4 Tame Impala
#5 D'Angelo or Sufjan Stevens
#6 Deafheaven
#7 Courtney Barnett
#8 maybe FJM
#9 Vince Staples
#10 Grimes
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (149 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
149 KB, 1920x1080
Kendrick will be #1, Kamasi Washington will be in the top ten, and Matana Roberts won't be on the list, despite being way more musically interesting and socially poignant that the former two.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.