[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last night, a friend of mine told me he was joining a metal band.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: megadeth-rustinpeace-album-cover.jpg (160 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
megadeth-rustinpeace-album-cover.jpg
160 KB, 1000x1000
Last night, a friend of mine told me he was joining a metal band. He's going to be the bass player, I think.

I asked him if he liked Megadeth and he said no.

Is that even allowed?

Can you be in a metal band and not like Megadeth?

I don't think that should be allowed.
>>
>>61032381
What kind of metal band is he joining? Is it one of those faggy "metal bands" like Asking Alexandria?
>>
Ask him if he likes metallica.
>>
Liking metal over the age of 14 should be a hangable offence desu
>>
Why do so many metal albums have such terrible covers?
>>
>>61032401
This is them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y1SAKqtM5M
>>
I dont like metal. Pretentious bad bitches
>>
>>61032444
>444

Many of the themes and concepts explored in that album are depicted by that album cover.

That image gives you a good idea what the lyrics to the songs are about.

It's not abstract, chosen for purely aesthetic reasons, like most album covers.
>>
>>61032561
They're melodic metalcore, which is a genre for teenagers and bros who like the edginess of metal but not the music. So it's understandable that your friend would dislike well-written metal that isn't very edgy.

This band is also horrible
>>
>>61032381

megadeth aren't good because they have 1 good album
>>
>>61032623
But regardless of content, it's very unappealing aesthetically. This problem is very prevalent in metal (as well as hip-hop).
>>
File: metallica-.jpg (39 KB, 505x300) Image search: [Google]
metallica-.jpg
39 KB, 505x300
>>61032676
Is megadeth not very edgy?
>>
>>61032758
>it's very unappealing aesthetically.

If that is your opinion, you would probably not like the album.
>>
File: 61sMQt3woHL[1].jpg (109 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
61sMQt3woHL[1].jpg
109 KB, 500x500
>>61032758
speak for yourself, metal covers are awesome
>>
>>61032412

more like having a period over other people's taste in music should be
>>
>>61032774
They're campy, anti-war, have goofy vocals, and are on the bluesy side of the metal spectrum rather than the dissonant, modern side. Megadeth is missing most of the edge factors that define popular current metal.
>>
>>61032805
>having a period

lewd as h*ck!
>>
>>61032858
I agree. The cheese factor in 80s metal was a lot higher than newer stuff because the popular culture of the time was just that way. I can't see an album like The Number Of The Beast resonating with modern audiences. It sounded like the Reagan years and there's nothing wrong or shameful about it.
>>
>>61032805
Butthurt meal fag
>>
>>61032789

That font is so cringey it hurts
>>
>>61032858
Besides, Megadeth is a very accessible, commercial band compared with something like >>61032789
>>
>>61033016
Most of the metal that geeks and underground metalheads listen to is still cheesy. Pop metal just followed the lead of radio rock, and now it's about super serious teen emotions.
>>61033178
you don't have to like it
>>
>>61032858
>bluesy side

No.
>>
>>61033246
>>61033016
Metal is inherently about cheese ever since Black Sabbath. It's just that cheese changes a bit with the decades, but it's still cheese. I love Tonight The Stars Revolt and it's as campy as anything on Paranoid, just a late 90s kind of campy.
>>
>>61033236
I was listening to some of Mortal Throne of Nazarene since the pic got posted and really barring the guy's vocals, their sound isn't that unique or much heavier than Megadeth or Metallica.
>>
>>61033347
At least this album came out in the 90s back before they brickwalled everything. There is nobody who loathes brickwalling more than me.
>>
>>61033347
>their sound isn't that unique or much heavier than Megadeth or Metallica

on what drugs are you on?
>>
>>61033420
It's just heavy br00tal generic metal guitars with unintelligable vocals. For your money, the other bands I mentioned had a better sense of melody.
>>
NOT ALLOWED.
If you are joining a metal band or forming one, Megadeth is or should be someone they should know and like them,atleast!
>>
>>61033479
It'd be like playing jazz and you never listened to Kind of Blue. Blasphemy!
>>
>>61033248
They definitely are, as far as fast metal goes. Dave writes all his solos and a ton of riffs using the blues scale. If you consider most death and black metal to be on the opposite side of the spectrum, 'Deth is way bluesier.
>>61033347
I think Incantation is pretty unique for its time.
>>
>>61033536
Take No Prisoners for example - the lead break is very bluesy-sounding.
>>
>>61033472
>For your money, the other bands I mentioned had a better sense of melody

Well that's because they're much more commercial. Bands like Megadeth would take these extr33me br00tal underground bands and condense their sound for the more pleb among us. And nothing wrong with that. A lot of people like songs they can hum along to.
>>
>>61033596
I guess at the time when Incantation were around, Pantera were the primary "face" of metal to mainstream audiences. Keeping in mind that metal mostly went underground in the 90s and there were few big commercial acts during that period.
>>
Megadeth is entry-level t(h)rash.

Have some good thrash instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhux8pHjkM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR_Fq9MYaXI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msxbcwSucF0
>>
>>61033796
If you want to prove what a hardcore underground metalhead you are, you should at least post stuff that isn't also entry level.
>>
>>61033825
>implying any entry-level metalfag can name a single thrash band besides the big 4 and their close friends and maybe Voivod and Vektor
>>
>>61033825
Where did I try to prove how much of a hardcore underground metalhead I am? I'm just think that OP saying liking Megadeth should be mandatory is fucking hilarious considering Megadeth's terrible. They release bad albums with 1 or 2 good songs per album.
>>
i wonder how it would be if mustaine stayed in metallica
>>
anybody else love megadeth but hate modern metal? I just can't stand 99% of metal made post 1993ish. yes I'm a le wrong generation faggot but I also think good music should be catchy, even metal.
>>
>>61033973

in flames was good until 2000
>>
>>61033973
>>61033796

like megadeth is legitimately one of my favorite bands but all of the albums you posted suck in my opinion. they're just playing as fast and brvtally as possibly and it sounds like fucking shit. early megadeth sounds like george clinton and uli jon roth went on a week-long crack bender and I fucking love it
>>
>>61033973
There's plenty of modern extreme metal that's very catchy

Here's my metal album of the year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEw6rm8ISO8
>>
>>61034041
>artillery
>fast and brutal

What?
>>
>>61034057
this is pretty great, I like the compositions. not a fan of the vocals though. thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>61033969
the only metal album i like is kill em all, this is what i wish would have happened
>>
>>61032561
What's the band name?
>>
>>61034220
give peace sells a try dude. kill 'em all was my favorite metal album before I realized peace sells is actually awesome (I'd only heard the title track before)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kSvN1dQjxc
>>
>>61034041
>>61033973
I agree. Why aren't >1993 metal bands capable of writing something as catchy and iconic as TNOTB, You Got Another Thing Coming, or The Four Horsemen.
>>
>>61033886
>They release bad albums with 1 or 2 good songs per album.

Take RIP. It has Take No Prisoners (I love that song) and...what else.
>>
>>61034538
Fucking pleb for not liking Holy Wars or the title track alone

Not even gonna debate Hangar 18 or Tornado of Souls because you can maybe nitpick those
>>
>>61034538
Why does Dave's guitar tone always sound like a swarm of buzzing insects? I mean even when you listen to The Four Horsemen, you know off the bat that that's one of his riffs.
>>
>>61034845
His tone on Peace Sells was actually very warm, his pickups were kinda shitty

But the reason for most other albums is that he doesn't completely scoop out his mids like Hetfield started the trend of
>>
>>61033847
> implying thrash metal after the big 4 main albums doesn't sound all the same except for 5 or 6 bands
>>
>>61034889
>>61034845
AJFA is notable because James uses a very similar "buzzing insect" tone while songs like MOP and Sad But True have the sound he's most commonly associated with.
>>
File: laughing skeleton 2.jpg (133 KB, 694x488) Image search: [Google]
laughing skeleton 2.jpg
133 KB, 694x488
>>61034935
>I've never explored the thrash genre
>>
I mean Megadeth had like 2ish good albums so it's totally fine if he doesn't like them
>>
>>61034845
I think Dave's tone has been shit since he went to Dean guitars, but the old stuff I don't have a problem with.
>>
>>61032381
I like "classic" era Megadeth:
RIP>SFSGSW>Peace Sells
I could cope with Mustaine being a massive junkie cunt - couldn't cope with him being a born again :/ Youthanasia onwards fucking sucked.

It's fine to not like Megadeth, Mustaine has a distinct voice, can see some people not liking it. Also:
Slayer > Megadeth > Anthrax > Suicidal Tendencies > Metallica
>>
I think James and Kirk's main instruments in the 80s were Gibson Flying Vs. Since the 90s, James has more guitars he uses however most of them don't sound quite right for the songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-L5zwDtwPc

FFWF from earlier this year in Germany. He does dust off the Flying V here and the song sounds a lot better due to that guitar's nice metally sound.
>>
Most overlooked album of all time coming through.
>>
>>61035029
Not a bad performance and he even does the growly voice here. The old farts can still light it up.
>>
I love thrash and metal in general, but I can't get into Megadeth on account of Mustaine being a grating vocalist. I'd rather listen to slam vocals than Dave Mustaine's singing.
>>
>>61035102
I think he has a decent voice.
>>
>>61035029
IIRC KK Downing always used Flying Vs.
>>
>>61035325
Yeah he did while Glenn Tipton had Strats and other instruments because he'd do a warmer blues rock sound.
>>
>>61035079

i wish they would play orion more often and fixxxer at least once, other than that they're great
>>
>>61035531
Yeah apparently Fixxxer was never played live.
>>
>>61035030
I agree. Much better than the shit Metallica released at this time.
>>
>>61035030
"Some people say [Youthanasia] is hard rock, some say it's metal, some say it's alternative. We just think of it as Megadeth."
>>
>>61035030
agreed. Endgame was also better than anything Metallica has released since the black album

>>61035010
Peace Sells > RIP > Killing is My Business > SFSGSW, but that's just imo. Peace Sells is a near perfect album for me

>>61034889
>>61034845
it was only warm because Poland picked up the low end on the rhythm tracks. listen to Dave's solos; he's has always preferred turning the gain and treble to 10 to get that shreaking lead sound, and it works for him.

>>61034935
unfortunate truth

>>61034538
just no
>>
File: 1450074452405.jpg (160 KB, 1355x1079) Image search: [Google]
1450074452405.jpg
160 KB, 1355x1079
Last night, a friend of mine told me he was joining an anime. He's going to be the MC, I think.

I asked him if he liked k-on! and he said no.

Is that even allowed?

Can you be in an anime and not like k-on?

>>
File: kenshiro.jpg (65 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
kenshiro.jpg
65 KB, 640x480
>>61037414
Last night, a friend of mine told me he was joining an anime. He's going to be the MC, I think.

I asked him if he liked hokuto no ken and he said no.

Is that even allowed?

Can you be in an anime and not like hokuto no ken?

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.