[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My roommate is convinced anything produced essentially isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
My roommate is convinced anything produced essentially isn't music. Thinks playing things live and singing constitutes (good) music. Don't get me wrong, I respect musicianship, but how can people not respect the art of production. Passion and inspiration come frome the creative process, not the use of arbitrarily mainstream instruments.
>Thoughts?
>>
you could remind him that all that a sequencer does is automate the process of arrangement, freeing up some of the labor involved

but this attitude is born from a misunderstanding of the software/hardware- some people really think that no improvisation, spontaneity, or "live" instrumentation goes into the crafting of a digitally produced track, and that somehow the computer just makes music on its own

really it's hopeless just let him be
>>
>>61030342

sheez even the word "automate" sounds wrong

if he wants to fuss around and organize everything himself on some analog setup he can go right ahead
>>
>>61030182

Show him a vid of a guy spending 12 hours non-stop /prod/ing on a track
>>
it's just tools, but like the namefag said, this mentality is just blatant ignorance of production. this type of mindset hardly comes from a one of understanding, so trying to convince him may be a wasted effort.
>>
>>61030182
As someone who has made electronic music before picking up a guitar or bass, I'll say that most of the electronic musicians I know are lazy and/or unoriginal when it comes to their production.
>>
>>61030670
Definitely true. I see a lot of meme house
>>
>>61030182
>My roommate is convinced anything produced essentially isn't music.
Doesn't he realize that pretty much everything is just cut and paste? Like even rock albums.
>>
>>61030182
Live mixing and artists like A Trak shit on this idea but I don't think it makes sense to begin with
>>
>>61030182
Lyrics are a crutch for the uncreative edgy
>>
why do you care so much what he thinks of electronic music?

don't you have other shit you can talk about instead of trying to prove him wrong?
play a game or watch a film or something
>>
>>61030182
tell him that the distinction between playing instruments and producing compooders is arbitrary. they are both tools used to create vibrations in the air at a frequency humans can perceive.

checkmate atheist
>>
>>61030936
I don't but I'm restricted to my headphones breh, feel boxed in, can't share that good with the world
>>
>>61030182
What about music that incorporates both?
>>
>>61030182
Wait, are you talking electronic Vs conventional instruments/live playing? If so, I wouldnt and couldnt go as far to say its not music, but alot (not all) of it is vapid. Cool souding, aurally pleasing beats; sure.But beyond that, meaningless. I mean, look at the retard in the picture. It sort of illustrates what im talking about.
>>
>>61030811
>Definitely true. I see a lot of meme house
Exactly.

It's not the amount of work they put into the music that I have a problem with, that requires actual work.

What I don't like is that so many of them lack creativity and the standardization of DAWs and equipment makes that all worse.

I don't want to hear your shitty acid house or trap with the same samples that we've been saturated and inundated with, it's boring.

I hold electronic music to a higher standard and I expect the people making it to do something original with the amount of potential at their disposal.
>>
>>61031436
>music always has to be listened too in a crowd
>>
>>61030182
this is an argument you'll never win cause your roomie can always just say you're wrong because auto tune
>>
File: 1424320964076.png (432 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1424320964076.png
432 KB, 500x400
>>61030182
My band just recorded a demo live. We could have done each part seperately, but we chose to just work through it as though it were a live show. It has imperfections. But it's still good. Fact: we are not, and can never be machines. The more automated you make the musical process, the less human it becomes. It's the subtle variations and flaws which makes any art rewarding, or at the very least interesting. It's up to an artist how they want to mix their performance with production. My band went with very little production on the last recording, and we are happy with it. Some artists are little more than programmers, really. Hit this button, punch this key, etc. Production has its place, esp when you consider the audience-aspect of music. Aside from our involvement with music, there is an audience which listens and has their own experience. And so production can do alot to make that experience into an almost infinite variety of things. But if you ask me, it's all about the human performance. I dont pay to go to shows to listen to a CD being played really loud. I go to see the artist play, flaws and all.
>>
>>61031487
Couldn't agree more. Since quite literally one can synthesize infinitely many, different sounds, these genres shouldn't blend as they do.
>they aren't all like that though
There are artists pushing the boundaries of even what could be considered music.. the desire to break free from convention is even stronger in these genres then others exactly because they can be so formulaic. So from quality artists you can get this experimental style that I think does have meaning
>>
>>61031644
you're comparing apples and oranges
you're criticizing electronic music for not being analog.
>>
>>61031670
not necessarily electronic music, but production up to and including strictly electronic music.
>>
>>61031644
I also hate push play DJ's. Aoki and his kind are stage clowns, and have so much more value producing than performing
>>
File: house-music-tampa-580x325.jpg (35 KB, 580x325) Image search: [Google]
house-music-tampa-580x325.jpg
35 KB, 580x325
>>61031714
and by contrast, I really do like artists like squarepusher who seem to get....almost a little possessed when they play lol. But then again, the instrumental aspect of music isnt lost him, being a bass player (and quite a good one at that).
>>
>>61031663
>There are artists pushing the boundaries of even what could be considered music.. the desire to break free from convention is even stronger in these genres then others exactly because they can be so formulaic. So from quality artists you can get this experimental style that I think does have meaning
As an industrialfag I couldn't agree more. I'm used to using things that aren't even instruments AS instruments, since any sound can be used that way and all sorts of original sounding music can come from it.
>>
>>61031772
when you have this realization, you also realize conventional instruments limit human creativity as far as composition goes
>>
>>61031848
>when you have this realization, you also realize conventional instruments limit human creativity as far as composition goes

True, but that is also if you use conventional instruments in conventional ways.

For instance, I can make my guitar sound nothing even like a guitar, and I can sample it and other sounds and use them in all sorts of ways using virtual instruments.
>>
>>61031903
plus hendrix
/thread
>>
>>61031926
hendrix is reddit tier
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.