[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is liking lofi just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: lofi.jpg (139 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
lofi.jpg
139 KB, 800x600
is liking lofi just a meme?
>>
what exactly is lofi? Is that pic really of lofi? Is the pic implying that analog recordings are lofi?
>>
>lofi
>posts high end studio tape machine
>>
and if so, is the implication that people use analog recording equipment because they like lofi?
>>
i like loli 2bh
>>
>>61025820
memes are only memes as long as you can see it being a meme.
>>
>>61025820
Lo-fi is just an aesthetic and production style
It's not a genre of music
>>
It can't be, by definition some people have to enjoy low-fidelity recordings. It must feel like you are discovering some long lost personal tape or ancient artifact.
>>
>>61025909
It's complicated.

Many of the examples of people intentionally using analog recording over more modern methods of recording involve those people trying to emulate the sound of music in the past that they like (which is not lo-fi by default because that was the standard fidelity of the time). Some examples include the Elephant 6 collective as well as Boards of Canada using analog recording to achieve the desired quality.

There are other examples of musicians using analog recording simply because that is all they can afford, which grants their music a unique sound compared to other artists, but may not be necessarily what they are intending. It may become part of their appeal, or it may be dispensed with if they gain access to higher quality recording equipment. Examples of this include Daniel Johnston, whose homemade tapes became part of his image, and Ariel Pink, whose early works were lo-fi out of necessity but became part of his signature sound.
>>
>>61025998
>Ariel Pink, whose early works were lo-fi out of necessity but became part of his signature sound.
Ariel Pink is an industry plant, his lofi was just part of the advertising concept.
>>
>>61025998
I admit I was actually fishing for Albini. everyone seems to get it wrong about why he records in analog.
>>
>>61026326
His ego won't fit on a digital format
>>
File: DSCN9041_edited-1.jpg (137 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9041_edited-1.jpg
137 KB, 1024x768
how about this instead of the top-of-the-line hi end professional studio equipment in op?
>>
File: $_86.jpg (129 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
129 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>61026308
what exactly is an "industry plant"? I assume it's intuitive but I haven't seen it been used before today.
>>
>>61025820
If you have a low budget I think lo-fi is better. Unavoidable clipping sounds wayyyyyy better on a tascam than on audacity.
>>
>>61026367
My brother has one of these still. He won't give it to me, insisting the tape heads are broken.

My brother is a fucking hoarder who needs to give it up.
>>
File: 1568762199.jpg (23 KB, 640x349) Image search: [Google]
1568762199.jpg
23 KB, 640x349
>making lofi becouse i'm fucking poor
>>
>>61027329
this
>>
File: disgust.jpg (46 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
46 KB, 620x400
>be a poorfag with pirated Ableton and VSTs, etc
>aiming for muh clean production
>exclusively work with VSTs

years later

>have money
>buy a lot of expensive gear
>record it all in cassette for muh lo fi sound
>>
I produce my friends lo fi solo project (I also play bass and sax and do light arranging) on a 4 track tape recorder and a 6 track digital recorder. We got one album EP produced and it just does not sound as intimate.
>>
File: 1445713827330.jpg (30 KB, 426x426) Image search: [Google]
1445713827330.jpg
30 KB, 426x426
>>61025924
/thread
>>
>>61027329
>Unavoidable clipping
???
>>
>>61025820
I think there's an appeal in art that is made with low end equipment or otherwise within the constrains of certain limitations. I like the the idea of just collecting the most technically terrible instruments and equipment to see what I can make with them.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.