[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes and shitposting aside, which of these is actually the better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8
File: slitnvna.png (169 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
slitnvna.png
169 KB, 600x300
Memes and shitposting aside, which of these is actually the better album and why is it Bleach?
>>
>>61025425

But it's not Bleach. Spiderland has a singular theme throughout the whole album, isolation, and a singular mood being conveyed. And it's conveyed wonderfully.

Bleach is a collection of grunge songs with no real connection other than genre. Why do you keep posting Bleach threads when we've already decided In Utero and Nevermind are better.
>>
File: Rodan_-_Rusty.jpg (47 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Rodan_-_Rusty.jpg
47 KB, 500x500
>>61025467

In fact a proper comparison would be contemporary Louisville band Rodan and their album Rusty. Both albums have interesting motifs regarding sex, but whereas Spiderland is about isolationism Rusty is about everything changing, things "rusting."
>>
>>61025425
when did slint become /mu/ core, I remeber back in 2009 nobody gave a fuck about this album, it was all kanye, NMH and animal collective.
>>
>>61025467
>Why do you keep posting Bleach threads when we've already decided In Utero and Nevermind are better.
could you have posted this at the start so I could have known you were a pleb and dismissed your opinion before having to read it?
>>
>>61025467
But Bleach is raw af. Do you even grunge?
>>
>>61025643

Once again, the only competently written songs on Bleach are Blew, About a Girl, Negative Creep, and perhaps School.

>>61025654

And again, if you prefer the raw grunge feel that is the ENTIRETY of Bleach as opposed to the more competent songwriting of Nirvana's later releases, that's fine. But from a songwriting perspective Bleach is most definitely not on top.
>>
File: slint8bit.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
slint8bit.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>61025425
Bleach doesn't hold a candle to Spiderland mate. Slint's album is way more interesting and engaging and manages to convey all sort of feelings effectively. As an album it works better and is way more cohesive, and even if you seperate the tracks, there is not a single song in Bleach that would surpass Breadcrumb Trail, Good Morning Captain or Nosferatu Man.
Here's your reply without shitposting and memes.
>>
>>61025696
spiderland only has 2 good songs the rest is just to fill time
>>
>>61025717

Are you even gonna specify which songs are good and which fill time?
>>
>comparing a progressive rock album to a punk album
>>
>>61025717
It's impressive how some people can be so patently false.
>>
>>61025728
the bookends are the only ones with something special in them. the middle is just nice
>>
>>61025513
>kanye
>2009
nice try
>>
>>61025746
>Only ones with something special in them

Washer? Don, Aman? I'll give you Nosferatu Man but jesus how silly can you get.
>>
>>61025425
What is some other black and white letterboxed core?
>>
>>61025668
Dude Bleach captures the feel of grunge music in its most pure form. It's fucking art. If you're after "competent songwriting" then stay the fuck away from punk music, faggot, and go listen to Lana Del Ray or some other shit.

Bleach Forever.
>>
>>61025513
I think it has something to do with the collective mood of the board/population. everyone's super depressed these days and everything is worse all the time.
>>
>>61025746
I don't know why I expected a somewhat coherent response, the premise of the thread was already retarded enough.
>>
>>61025783
>Dude Bleach captures the feel of grunge music in its most pure form

I don't doubt this at all. I even agreed.

>then stay the fuck away from punk music, faggot

Oh you're just shitposting. This whole thread is moronic. Fuck this board.
>>
>>61025805
It's not just shitposting if I get you to leave
>>
File: Hum_-_Electra_2000.png (527 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Hum_-_Electra_2000.png
527 KB, 600x600
Are we talking about letterboxed-black-and-white-core?
>>
>>61025425
Because Spiderland isn't whiny music made by faggot teenagers who can't play their instruments.
Spiderland is a cold, dark album about isolation, emptiness and loneliness. From Breadcrumb Trail, which is about being together with a fortune teller alone in the wind at the top of a roller coaster, to the much more nightmarish lyrics about the isolated life of a vampire and his queen on Nosferatu Man, to the more direct Don, Aman, which is about Don at a suffering from social anxiety disorder, and then Washer, which describes someone leaving their lover. For Dinner... is obviously instrumental but it's very dark, very brooding, as cold as everything else on here is. Then we have Good Morning, Captain, a massive post-rock piece about a captain who's lost at sea.
What's on Bleach? Endless whining.

I'll let you compare the two.
>>
>>61025805
>Oh you're just shitposting. This whole thread is moronic. Fuck this board.
Don't go, i love you. :(
>>
File: 1443666819971.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1443666819971.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>61025783
This is youtube tier comment. Don't even try to discuss music with the poor fella. Abandon thread.
>>
>>61025511
Seconding Rodan. Awesome band.
>>
File: SgtPepper.jpg (315 KB, 1220x1220) Image search: [Google]
SgtPepper.jpg
315 KB, 1220x1220
Sorry /mu/, but I just gotta get this off my chest..

Why did Paul have to turn into such an egotistical cunt?

He was totally trying to be Brian Wilson on this album (pic related). Like, he saw Brian take charge of Pet Sounds and then was like "come on lads, time to be my sidemen so I can remind the world who is the real music person 'round here...hey photographers, remember to tell the other three to always face the opposite direction to me during photoshoots from now on".

I just feel that he used the other three Beatles for his own egotistical gain with this album.
>>
>>61025717
Jesus, is it even possible to have a worse opinion than this?
>>61025746
>le good monring captian amirite xd
Jesus, did you even listen to the full album? You can't possibly just dismiss Nosferatu Man and Don, Aman as "just nice". Kill yourself.
>>
>>61025746
>the best song on the album is just filler
>>
>>61025777
no hear me out, you wouldn't give a shit about this album if it didn't start and end the way it does.It would just be pretty good in your mind assuming it even gained a following without those tracks. It's because of those tracks that people think "spoken word" when they think of slint.
>>
>>61025859

That's fair. I'll have to think on that anon.
>>
those were the only two that were written with each other, everything else was literally just stuff they thought was fun to play and sounded good. They recorded it all over one weekend
>>
>>61025881
Haha, what?
They recorded the album in 4 days
Fun fact, recording process ≠ composing process.
The 6 tracks were composed over a year long period through constant practice and improvement. The songs were not written in any specified order.

Stop making up bullshit facts just because you can, retard.
>>
>>61025425
Spiderland is not emotional or complex, it's whiny meandering garbage
Bleach has a few good songs, but isn't a very good album
>>
>>61025881
So fun and goofy it put one of them in the hospital!
>>
>>61025881

That's not true at all senpai.
>>
>>61025913
It put one of them in the hospital AND gave him a serious case of medically diagnosed depression.
>>
>>61025425
damn it man, they are so different, i honestly couldnt compare the two against eachother. But personally, after wearing bleach out back in high school and spiderland back in college, neither now.
>>
>>61025937
Damn it must have been some super deep shit then, right?
>>
>>61025859
Bullshit. I heard it once almost ten years ago and I never looked back. The whole album is excellent.
>>
>>61025826
all of that text and you hardly talked about the music at all, no wonder you prefer Spiderland
>>
>>61025859
I honestly think Washer is the best track on the album. Fite me anon.
>>
>>61025977
that track is 90% filler
>>
>>61025826
>Spiderland isn't whiny music made by faggot teenagers who can't play their instruments
That's exactly what it is though, at least Bleach had integrity though
>>
>>61025881
Kind of blue was recorded in two sessions--so fuck you.
>>
>>61025985
Everything counts as filler when filler = stuff I don't like.
>>
>>61025996
Yeah but 90% of Washer is literal filler
>>
>>61025830
nice argument
>>
>>61025996
talk about what you liked in Washer
>>
>>61025973

I talked about lyrical content alone because I wanted to focus on the lyrical content first.
Music? Fine.
Spiderland's music is mainly categorized by screeching guitar harmonics, something which had obviously been done in the past many, many times but never before had someone used harmonics as a lead guitar melody. Using them to play complex and dissonant lines was a completely new idea, never done before by anyone else. The band also unintentionally stumbled upon the usage of strange time signatures, which had obviously popped around every in prog rock in the past but no one had ever really used it with hardcore punk/post-hardcore before. Another noteworthy thing is the usage of extended technique on guitars, from picking behind the fretted notes to execute the intro on Good Morning Captain, to the harmonics mentioned earlier, even the strange and (ahem) spidery bass guitar parts on Don Aman all constitute under usage of extended technique.
Another interesting thing is how they phrased the chords on Spiderland, on Don Aman the phrasing sounds like it's in 9/8 despite in reality being in 4/4. The intro on Washer is also very hard to get the timing right on due to the offbeat that Pajo plays on. Also noteworthy is the 9/7 division of the chord changes on the melody of Good Morning Captain. These all constitute interesting chord phrasings, and are all very interesting.

Meanwhile on Bleach...
POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD POWER CHORD
>>61025990
Fun fact: playing the main melody on the second section on Breadcrumb Trail is much harder than playing power chords.
>>61026038
Define filler.
>>
>>61026060
are you resorting to "technically good" this early on
>>
>>61025425
GO AWAY BLEACH SHITPOSTER
>>
>>61026060
>Bleach is just power chords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLthJDXbq6Y
>>
>>61026071
No, I'm only using "technically good" to argue against "can't play their instruments"
The rest of it is categorizing the unique ways they use their instruments and the strange songwriting.
>>
>>61026079
All I hear is an edgy bassline and then a guitar riff to match said bassline. And then power chords.
Then there's a subpar guitar solo drowned in so much distortion that you can't tell what the fuck is going on.
Way to prove me right.
>>
>play directionless post-rock in quirky time signatures
>w0ah so deep, so atmospheric! this is true art!
every time
>>
>>61026101
See >>61026060
Reminder that the time signatures were stumbled upon by accident, the band had no intention of being "quirky".
>>
>>61026095
>Then there's a subpar guitar solo drowned in so much distortion that you can't tell what the fuck is going on.
haha why am I even arguing with this baby who can't into noise rock

Way to prove me right btw
>>
>>61026056
Every last line of lyrics hits me, particularly "and build your church on the strength of your faith," the delicacy of Brian's voice, the single note plucks of the guitar strings that make up the main line of the song, the way it constantly fluctuates between quiet/delicate and heavy, the heavy climax that drifts into its soft ending. To me the song perfectly encapsulates what it's like saying your last goodbye to someone you love. Maybe most of all as a drummer I think Britt's technique is masterful, never hitting the wrong drum/cymbal, never hitting too hard or too soft, and hitting everything at exactly the right time. In fact every crash on the entire album to me almost sounds like waves crashing on a shore.

That's about as simply as I can put it.
>>
>>61026137
>who can't into noise rock
Reminder that Slint count as noise rock.
>>
>>61026060
I don't get this argument. Like at all. HURR IT'S HARDER THAN POWER CHORDS. Why the fuck does any of that matter at all? I could give a shit if the time signatures and "technique".

All I want to do is hear Kurt rip those sweet sweet power chords.
>>
>>61026154
Spiderland doesn't
>>
>>61026137
>Nirvana
>Noise rock

lol
>>
Nirvana is shit tho
>>
>>61026194
>the guitar solo on Breadcrumb Trail
Counts as much noise rock as that guitar solo on that Nirvana song you linked.
>>61026170
Because power chords are lazy as hell. If he's as talented as he say why couldn't he even bother to at least fucking play a basic major or minor chord?
>>
>>61026211
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_HbFr3qc8
>>
>>61026222
>Because power chords are lazy as hell. If he's as talented as he say why couldn't he even bother to at least fucking play a basic major or minor chord?
I really hope you aren't over 14 and this stupid
>>
>>61026272
I'm 19 my man, you can keep deluding yourself by thinking you're only competent enough to argue with underage teens. I'm here to tell you that you're wrong, you're smarter than that. Not by much though.

So, do you have anything to say other than "HURR DURRR URRRR WRRRRROOOOOOOONNGNGNGNGOGNOOGNONGONGONGNOGONGONGNOGONGOGONGONNON"?
>>
>>61026222
You cant seriously be saying that using power chords is bad?
>>
>>61026332
It's not bad, it's just overused and lazy.
In the same sense that if you want to play a guitar solo, you should at least bother to not reuse the same pentatonic licks you use in every fucking guitar solo.
>>
>>61026222
Okay, I'm glad you finally helped us realize that you're retarded as fuck
>>
>>61026354
Better example
In the same sense that if you want to play a guitar solo on a 12 bar blues you should at least be bothered enough to not constantly reuse the same Chuck Berry licks that everyone uses and then go on to play some generic pentatonic scale climbing.
>>61026356
Nice argument friendo
>>
>>61026354
Ok ok, just seemed like you were implying that minor, sus4, whatever, will always be better for the song, which is obviously stupid
>>
>>61026393
That's a ridiculous implication.
What I'm saying is that a musician should try to use more than just power chords. Sometimes using minor 9#5 chords work in a song perfectly, in place of a basic power chord. Sometimes a power chord is all that's needed to convey the message.
Rather, my argument is that Nirvana's constant usage of basic chord voicings and progressions is rather lazy, especially so when you look at how praised Cobain is amongst the music industry.
>>
>>61026434
Does this sound like power chords?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpMt_YqVbhw
>>
>>61026434
See thats where i'd disagree, its grunge, power chords were perfect for it. Plus, no one praises him as a great guitar player
>>
>>61026475
He switches from Emin to Gmaj. Revolutionary.
>>61026477
Arguable, I'd say that it being grunge doesn't stop it from being compositionally complex.
>>
>>61026477
he's actually underrated as a guitar player, even Steve Albini said so

it has nothing to do with whether or not he uses power chords though, some of his solos are astounding despite his lack of technicality, he knew how to make noise sound good
>>
>>61026508
>He switches from Emin to Gmaj. Revolutionary.
but he doesn't use power chords :^)
>>
>>61026513
I'd say that his influence on guitar solos can be heard throughout many different genres of music, but really, stacking gain pedals on top of each other is something that every rock guitarist ever has done.
>>61026528
Fine, you win that one. But he's still using very basic chord voicings () which was what my argument was meant to intone. Power chords was an exaggeration.
>>
>>61025717
that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Even if you hate the album, claiming it has a lot of filler is complete bullshit
>>
>>61026513
Well yeah thats what im saying, hes good because of the vibe, not because of technical skill or obscure chord formations. You could definitely say that he was one of the most important guitar players, just maybe not up there in terms of skill or whatever
>>
>>61026584
He certainly has a very energetic feeling to his playing but it's very eh to me. I don't think Nirvana's music is that great.
>>
>>61026658
cause you're a faggot who'll rather die first than admit to something popular cause being different is central to you psyche
>>61025425
people don't like to admit it, but nirvana is the greatest thing ever to happen to rock
>>
>>61026718
>people don't like to admit it, but nirvana is the greatest thing ever to happen to rock
this tbf
>>
>>61026718
>cause you're a faggot who'll rather die first than admit to something popular cause being different is central to you psyche
this is true
>nirvana is the greatest thing ever to happen to rock
eh, debatable
>>
>>61026718
>people don't like to admit it, but nirvana is the greatest thing ever to happen to rock
I think The Beatles have Nirvana beat there.
>>
>>61026859
Kurt Cobain was a better song-writer than John Lennon and Paul McCartney combined though
>>
>>61026859
beatles can fuck off

smells like teen spirit > golden slumbers
>>
>>61026718
Nirvana arent the best thing that happened to rock obviously, but they are very good/important
>>
>>61026934
Shut the fuck up and stop being a contrarian faggot. Yeezus Christ, you've been shitposting all through this thread with these trash opinions.
>>
>>61026960
Which posts do you think are mine lol? It is not at all a contrarian opinion to say that nirvana arent the best ever rock band, thats pretty much the standard opinion, no ones saying theyre bad mate
>>
>>61026915
>>61026916
All this talk about contrarian this and that about Nirvana and then these posts happen. That's why I come to this board.
>>
>>61025425
Bleach is my favorite, being a big grunge fan, but all their other albums were also so good. Nirvana is such a great band, so there really is an album for many different musical tastes.
>>
>>61026718
>cause you're a faggot who'll rather die first than admit to something popular cause being different is central to you psyche
I literally admitted that they have energy and are somewhat fun, just not my kind of music. Are you incapable of reading?
>>
File: 062692.43.jpg (69 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
062692.43.jpg
69 KB, 704x396
:( why did he do it bros

inb4 courtney
>>
File: 062292.11.jpg (86 KB, 428x594) Image search: [Google]
062292.11.jpg
86 KB, 428x594
>>61027112
what kind of musician would he have been today? what do you think his thoughts would be on todays music?
>>
>>61027112
Because he was a depressed faggot
>>
>>61025842
Because that's not Paul ;^)
>>
>>61027125
he would've done a dave grohl and got old and wank
>>
>>61025717
This desu senpai . Spider land is snooze ville , some sort of inventive rhythmic things here and there but bleach is jam after jam of good riffs and good lyrics
>>
>>61026718

Why?
>>
>>61025643
>>61025654
>>61025717
proof people who like bleach are legitimately retarded
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.