[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got my 8 year old nephew an mp3 player for Christmas, and am
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1396115008886.jpg (219 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1396115008886.jpg
219 KB, 640x640
I got my 8 year old nephew an mp3 player for Christmas, and am going to put music on it for him. this is the list i have complied so far. I'm looking for recommendations on what to add. I know your all going to tell me what to remove as well, so just attempt to be constructive please.

a perfect circle
ac dc
adelle
aerosmith
animals as leaders
aretha franklin
baroness
beach boys
billy joel
black sabbath
blue oyster clult
bob dylan
bob marley
boston
bruce springsteen
chevelle
chicago
cosmic church
chuck mangione
dan fogelberg
def lepard
dire straihts
dolly parton
earthless
ed sheeran
elder
elvis
elvis costello
fleetwood mac
flobots
foo fighters
foreigner
frank sinatra
galahad
garbage
gratefull dead
guns and roses
herby hancock
ideamen
iggy pop
incubus
iron maiden
jimmy buffett
jimi hendrix
johann sebastian bach
johny cash
journey
jon bon jovi
judas priest
katatonia
king crimson
kyuss
led zeppelin
ludwig van beethoven
louis armstrong
lynyrd skynyrd
marvin gaye
michael jackson
mastodon
mogwai
mono
>>
nirvana
otis redding
pat benatar
pelican
patsy cline
pink floyd
primus
pyotr ilyich tchaikovsky
queen
queens of the stone age
r.e.m.
radiohead
ray charles
rush
shora
simon and garfunkel
steve miller band
stevie wonder
stray cats
sufjan stevens
ted nugent
the b52s
the beatles
the cars
the doors
the eagles
the go'go's
the ramones
the red hot chili peppers
the rolling stones
the smashing pumpkins
the traveling wilburys
the who
tom petty
tom waits
tool
toto
trans siberian orchestra
u2
village people
wang chung
weezer
will smith
wolfgang amadeus mozart
zz top
and also
eve online soundtrack
heavy metal soundtrack
fallout 3/4 soundtracks
spinal tap soundtrack
>>
File: 65430625.jpg (116 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
65430625.jpg
116 KB, 400x400
>>
>>61024365
Do you even know what they like? Sure it's good to introduce them to new stuff but they may not have the patience for any unfamiliar. Also their parents may or may not appreciate music with explicit lyrical content.
>>
>>61024365
Fill it with Coil and just tell him that they are the only artist in existence. When he asks "what about..." just insist that, "Yep, that's Coil".

"Even Thriller?"

"Uh-huh"

"Is that their best song?"

"No, no, The Anal Staircase is."

"Is that like Thriller?"

"Sure..."
>>
>>61024452
I'm not going to put anything with explicit lyrics on there b/c I'm not an idiot. and he is 8... how much do you honestly expect him to like. I'll ask him on Christmas day what he wants me to add, and add it that day. I also told my sister i would be doing this, and heavily sourced this list from my mother and brother.
>>
>>61024444
pretty much what i want the gift to be.
>>
JERdk
>>
>>61024523
but u have no rap?
>>
>>61024365
Yeah looks fine, don't bother putting anything /mu/ suggests on there
>>
>>61024848
you appear to have stumbled onto the whole point of the thread. i am taking suggestions.
>>
I'd ditch JS bach, pretty much no chance he'll actually like it. I've studied Bach for 18 years now and I still struggle to appreciate it for its sound

instead maybe some
Debussy
Erik Satie
Madlib - Medicine show
>>
Jerry Lee Lewis
and
Albert Ammons
>>
>>61024871
Looks good to me, add some Kraftwerk maybe

don't bother with any autistic rap or metal
>>
File: goldberg variations 1955.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
goldberg variations 1955.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>61024874
How could anyone not like The Goldberg Variations? It's basically pop classical
>>
Scruggs and Flatt
>>
>>61024371
>The Beatles
This, come on OP, with all the classic rock on your list, how was this not even there? The Beatles' music is great for kids, it's accessible, non-explicit, catchy, pretty varied while still being in the realm of accessible pop/rock, they literally have some songs created specifically for children, etc.
>>
>>61024940
That's the continued list lmfao

>>61024931
Yeah this too
>>
>>61024940
i agree thats why its there.
>>
>>61024946
>That's the continued list
Ha, well okay, sorry. I thought someone just put a lot of effort into giving suggestions.
>>
>>61024477
I....I love you

When I was 8, I really wanted to find music of The Residents. Maybe I'm weird though.

How about They Might Be Giants? Jonathan Richman? "Weird Al" Yankovic? Possibly some Barnes & Barnes?
>>
This is an amazing gift idea. When this kid grows up he will always remember what great length you went through to make him a well rounded individual, he'll probably have hundreds of favorite songs as a direct result of your thoughtfulness
>>
>>61025026
my sister(gift is for her kid ofc) did this very same thing for my brother when he was a kid. she is 10 years older then me and 13 years older then him. It's where i got the idea from. this happened 15 years ago at least mind you.
>>
put in some insane clown posse senpai
>>
File: IMG_2086.gif (65 KB, 600x285) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2086.gif
65 KB, 600x285
Add The Aquabats. They're really fun kid friendly music.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.