[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hip-hop's had solid mainstream popularity for over two decades
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
Hip-hop's had solid mainstream popularity for over two decades now, but it that it seems to be getting a lot more praise and attention lately, even from "indie" or general rock/pop people and publications. Pitchfork's recent reviews and lists are prime examples of this.

Why is this?
>>
DUDE #blacklivesmatter LMAO
>>
>>61023192
Jews?
>>
>>61023192
because Kanye
>>
Pitchfork is owned by mass media outlets
>>
White guilt
>>
>>61023192
kikes
>>
>>61023205
>>61023209
>>61023268
>>61023281

I want /pol/ to leave.

>inb4 jew, nig, etc
I'm a white guy, just not a bigot.
>>
File: 1424493791177.jpg (215 KB, 596x838) Image search: [Google]
1424493791177.jpg
215 KB, 596x838
>>61023296

Did you post this from your shed?
>>
Strange how businesses try to stay viable
>>
>>61023192
1. the media isn't as racist as before
2. the music appeals to all races (more money)
3. lyrics don't matter for mainstream music and the most popular rappers don't write their own lyrics or have brain dead lyrics anyway
4. hip-hop has a dose of reality which most pop music doesn't have and can connect with more people

the studios only understand the money part though
>>
>>61023343
>the music appeals to all races

Only to nigs and white keks.

Spics, chinks, and non-keked whites aren't all that into it.
>>
>>61023205
>>61023209
>>61023281
>>61023333
>>61023384
>>>>>>>>>>>/pol/
>>
File: 9a7.jpg (303 KB, 795x1192) Image search: [Google]
9a7.jpg
303 KB, 795x1192
>>61023428
>>
>>61023384
>Spics, chinks, and non-keked whites aren't all that into it.
You've never met a non-white person, huh?
>>
>>61023384
not true at all in my exprience
>>
>>61023428
>>61023296
lmao I want tumblr and reddit to leave
>>
The lyrical complexity and the production value of rap has been steadily improving over the past few decades, and focusing on deeper and more personal subject matter is becoming increasingly more accepted.

This isn't to say that the genre hadn't always had examples of all that; just that it's becoming more of the norm.
>>
>Anytime anyone mentions hip hop
"SPICS NIGGERS KEKS etc.
>Anytime anyone mentions racism
"LMAO THAT SHIT AIN'T REAL LIKE LMAO IT WAS JUST IRONIC LIKE THEY CAN VOTE LOL"
>>
>>61023192
Guitar music (in general) is pretty boring now relative to the last 50 years. There are still sparks of greatness, but it's harder to find.

Pop music has absorbed so much EDM influence (and electronic music in general) that it too has sort of stagnated. It's waiting for a new trend to ride for its next revival. It will happen soon, like it always does.

Hip Hop has branched out a little, both in subject matter and musical diversity, but is gaining mass appeal mostly because of the homogenization of the other main categories of radio-friendly popular music.

I can't comment on country because I know nothing of the scene from past or present.

In conclusion, I think it's sort of a default filler of space before we get the next "thing".

This was meant to be neutral towards music and its current direction, and its relative fit to my tastes, but I do buy into the premise that hip hop is becoming more mainstream than it's been, both in the top teir (commercial radio, arena tours) and 2nd teir (pitchfork, mu, youtube).
>>
>>61024232
does not help that the people who like hip hop on this board have objectively bad taste
>>
>>61023384
has never left his room in 15 years
>>
>>61024098
this
artists like kendrick are actually delivering the deepest and most interesting lyrics in popular music today
>>
>>61023296
WHITE GUILT
>>
>>61023384
>Spics, chinks, and non-keked whites aren't all that into it.

You've NEVER been to California, it's fucking hilarious
>>
>>61024232
no one is denying being racist
>>
Because of its newfound creativity. Ever since the begining of this decade the genre had more and more people really pushing its limits. Perhaps because many black americans who grew up in a late 90's-early 00's social reality are now growing up and taking control of the scene, bringing fresh ideas and perspectives with them.
>>
>>61023192
it became too big for it to be ignored anymore, so they guilted and now try to compensate by shoving it down as much throats as they can
>>
File: pic-173455167-draJJN.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
pic-173455167-draJJN.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>61023192
Its there a pattern that shit are showing... or Hip Hop is the pinnacle of the music or they're (music journalists) are all sellouts douchebags under the power of the labels payola.

Wtf. 3/4/5/6 years consecutives. We got raps albums or hip hop oriented albums at #1 spots. This is monopoly.

Industry in shambles.
>>
Pitchfork LITERALLY converted me into being a huge hip hop listener/fan.

It was first MBDTF and Sir Lucious Left Foot that I liked a lot, 5 years ago.

Then with the releases of Watch the Throne, LiveLoveA$AP, Take Care, Black Up, The Money Store, House of Balloons, channel ORANGE, XXX, R.A.P Music, Yeezus, Nothing Was the Same, Old, My Name is My Name, iLoveMakonnen, Honest, etc I fully converted to listening to hip hop only.

Before I used to be an mucore/indie/rymcore guy: MBV, Natural Snow Buildings, American Football, Michael Pisaro, etc.

Now some of my favorite artists are Migos, Young Thug, Rick Ross, Fetty Wap, Chief Keef, etc. And I can't stop listening to any of them nor I am capable to listen to anything else. All that indie/avant-teen crap sounds boring as shit to me, it's not catchy, there aren't any bangers, it just sounds pointless to me. Hip hop is the pinnacle of music in my ears, and I am sincerely grateful to Pitchfork for this.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.