[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's the Beatles of our generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12
File: noided_road.png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
noided_road.png
1 MB, 1360x768
Who's the Beatles of our generation?
>>
the beatles
>>
Radiohead, in terms of critical acclaim, quality, and accessibility.
>>
There is none. Radiohead is closest.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
>>61022859

Tame Impala
>>
No one desu.
>inb4 plebs say 1D or JB
>>
>>61022859

there is none. i dont think Radiohead is similar to the Beatles all that much. I love Radiohead and everything, but the whole world agreed on the Beatles. They brought people together, and the hugeness of their love for literally everybody isn't matched by Radiohead.
>>
>>61022888
the fact that people think this is a tragedy
>>
Oasis
>>
>>61022888
>band copies famous neopsych bands
>DUDE BEATLES OF OUR GENERATION LMAO

when they do something original then I'll give them some credit
>>
>>61022859
sonically? tame impala i guess. impact wise? radiohead.
>>
>>61022930
>white Americans and western Europeans
>whole world
>literally everybody

Beatles fans are fucking dreck
>>
>>61022859
one direction
>>
>>61022974
I don't even like the beatles but this
>>
one direction
>>
File: beatles-tokyo.jpg (498 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
beatles-tokyo.jpg
498 KB, 1024x684
>>61022986
They were popular in Asia too
>>
File: noided_road(1).png (1 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
noided_road(1).png
1 MB, 1360x768
>>61022859
Personally, I think it's counter-productive to compare two entirely different generations.
>>
>>61022986
you know what he meant faggot
>>
>>61023031
They're not different at all, nothing really changes
>>
>>61023054
explain
>>
>>61022986

you could argue its mostly in the americans and western europeans, i would agree, but the whole world loves the beatles. south america definitely, even the middle east and russia. i cant speak for africa because ive never been, but the beatles is the closest a band has ever gotten to touching the whole world. all you need is love was recorded live on the first live global television network in history
>>
>>61023092

so you can speak for south america, the middle east, and russia? hahahah
>>
>>61022859
Well, it depends. Do you think Nirvana was the Beatles of their generation? What do you even mean?

If you're talking about controversy, popularity, and streaks of successful albums, Kanye takes the cake (more controversial and notable streak of albums than Radiohead). He's also extremely popular. While there are more popular artists (Beyonce, Taylor Swift, regarding sales alone), Kanye's albums are more controversial and generally get extremely high critical acclaim. He's honestly as close as you can get, if you use fame as a filter for the candidates you're looking for.
>>
>>61022878
this tbqh
>>
>>61022877
Hey gramps.
>>
>>61022986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBhzJjjlMkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mYhJqcHd6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTEZlIZNYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjHVMTPuJ_o
>>
>>61023092
>first global television network in history
>getting broadcast to a few specific homes with unique access to television in several countries makes the Beatles' impact global

you realize there are literally billions of humans who have never heard of the Beatles, right? just because you've seen a BBC documentary about how much John Lennon repeating liberal platitudes about peace fundamentally shaped the lives of people abroad doesn't mean that the Beatles were much more than an extreme commercial phenomenon that was exported during economic globalization to the wealthier classes of foreign nations

i'd also love your source on middle eastern love of the beatles and your source on the USSR being full of beatles fans. and no, citing anecdotal evidence from a bunch of fucking expatriate traitorous classcücks in the USSR who loved Radio Free Europe or whatever because they were rich and trying to force the USSR to liberalize more and more doesn't count here.
>>
>>61023234
>white country dominated economically and politically by descendents of white Europeans
>whiter, higher taxes USA
>economic colony force-fed western culture
>economic colony force-fed western culture

wow sure are great counter-examples. Beatlescücks are always such worldly folks with such a good grasp of history
>>
>>61023344
Oh, you're shitposting. I thought you were, but I wasn't sure.
>>
File: daft punk clap.gif (439 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
daft punk clap.gif
439 KB, 500x378
>>61023372
>oh no someone is historically literate
>i don't understand the history of global colonialism, even in the century most recent and relevant to our current times
>better call him a shitposter!
>>
>>61023414
see
>>61023372
>>
>trying this hard

The Beatles were, are and will be loved worldwided, deal with it.
>>
Taylor Swift
>>
>>61022878
i couldn't agree with you more. Radiohead fucking sucks.
>>
File: sj.jpg (15 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
sj.jpg
15 KB, 225x225
>>61022859
Nobody. That said, Animal Collective is the closest thing to The Beatles. Two main members with a competition, constantly evolving sound, both blurred the line between art and pop music to great effect and influence. Before anybody says AnCo is more like the Beach Boys, fuck you. The Beatles used harmonies just as well, and much more sparingly, and most of the comparison comes from the fact that Panda Bear's voice legit sounds like Brian Wilson's.
>>
File: SgtPepper.jpg (315 KB, 1220x1220) Image search: [Google]
SgtPepper.jpg
315 KB, 1220x1220
Sorry /mu/, but I just gotta get this off my chest..

Why did Paul have to turn into such an egotistical cunt?

He was totally trying to be Brian Wilson on this album (pic related). Like, he saw Brian take charge of Pet Sounds and then was like "come on lads, time to be my sidemen so I can remind the world who is the real music person 'round here...hey photographers, remember to tell the other three to always face the opposite direction to me during photoshoots from now on".

I just feel that he used the other three Beatles for his own egotistical gain with this album,
>>
>>61022859
Kid Cudi. His music is an anthem for today's kids as much as theirs was for our granddads.
>>
>>61022986
Beatles were and are enormous in South America.
>>
>>61025866
John still rekt him and wrote the most iconic tunes for the record, people remember it for A Day in the Life and Lucy in the Sky, not She's Leaving Home and Lovely Rita (although they're great).
>>
File: Kanye-West.jpg (61 KB, 468x468) Image search: [Google]
Kanye-West.jpg
61 KB, 468x468
>>61022859
Kanye is probably the beatles of our generation if we talk about the impact on pop culture, and about the musical research and innovation
>>
File: gfj.jpg (65 KB, 419x700) Image search: [Google]
gfj.jpg
65 KB, 419x700
>>61022859
nirvana is undoubtedly hands down

but probably in true /mu/tant contrarian fashion they'll lie to themselves and say radiohead or something
>>
>>61022859
Muse lmao
>>
>>61026677
>Nirvana
>today
Cobian died over 20 years ago dude
>>
File: 86375803.jpg (409 KB, 1800x1460) Image search: [Google]
86375803.jpg
409 KB, 1800x1460
>>61026656
I think you're on the right track. The Beatles were the most popular music group for the baby-boomers. The millennial generation's most popular music acts are hip hop. I would say Jay Z.
>>
>>61026677
When will people realize the 90s are 20 years ago, not 10
>>
>>61026831
I consider your thinking and I respect it but how has Jay Z influenced the current hip hop scene?
>>
>>61026656
>>61026831
Rap music has no "beatles" of this generation. Its practically on life support at this point.
>>
File: 2015.png (41 KB, 123x156) Image search: [Google]
2015.png
41 KB, 123x156
>>61028345
>rap being on life support
>it is the current year
>>
>>61028345
>rap is on life support
explain
>>
DJ Khaled
>>
>>
The music scene is too fragmented now for "another Beatles."
>>
>>61024713
Edgy
>>
>>61026651
A Day in the Life is Paul's tune too. He wrote the middle section, and was responsible for the orchestration, which is the most interesting part of the track. John's verses are beautiful though, and better than Paul's actual singing part.

Not to mention... People remember every song on the album dummy. Maybe not so much Within You Without You, or Good Morning, Good Morning, but the whole thing is iconic. Your interpretation of it seems arbitrary.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.