[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people act like Slint has such a unique sound?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
Why do people act like Slint has such a unique sound?
>>
>>61021082
How the fuck does Minutemen sound anything like Slint?
>>
LET'S SAY I GOT A NUMBER
>>
they do and I really hope you're not implying that minutemen are evidence to the contrary
>>
>>61021082
because if you had ears you would realize they do
>>
If you seriously like Double Nickels and claim to like punk music you can kiss my fucking ass. FUCK Minutemen and fuck every reddit tier piece of shit that hypes them.
>>
>>61021109
You know I can hear you right?
>>
>>61021082
I agree Slint is boring and overhyped just like most of the shit these people love
>>
>>61021109
LOL
>>
>>61021082
i agree they remind me of early swans
>>
>>61021082
Is that pic supposed to be related

You could have at least posted Sonic Youth or King Crimson
>>
>>61021091
>>61021099
>>61021104
>>61021614
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRbNqeW7BJI
>>
>>61021614
>Sonic Youth
worst band on the planet and I guarantee you Slint took no influence from them
>King Crimson
this is easily heard as a prominent influence
especially Red
>>
>>61021692
dude that sounds nothing like slint
>>
Minutemen have been cited as an influence for slint, but I think it was just the idea of using cleaner guitar sounds for punk music
>>
>>61021614
King Crimson really?
>>
>>61021082
why did everyone start talking about these two bands in the past 24 hours again? especially together?
>>
>>61021858
Listen to Red and tell me it doesn't sound like it could be on Spiderland
>>
>>61021929
I don't really see it, dislike king crimson and love slint too. also just googled "slint king crimson" and got this.

>Back then people would say we sound like King Crimson and Pink Floyd and I would just think, What are you talking about? I don’t think any of us had ever even heard King Crimson. I was always mystified by those comparisons. - Todd Brashear (Bassist)

kek
>>
>>61022042
>implying their bassist even mattered
The title track on Red easily could be Slint playing it
also
>disliking King Crimson
yeah, you haven't been here long enough
>>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/03/26/AR2005032602015_2.html
This article has Albini saying that Slint sounded like Yes and King Crimson as well as Pajo stating Minutemen as an influence
>>
>>61022099
no it couldn't. just having changing time signatures and somewhat angular guitar playing doesn't mean it "could be Slint". it's completely different stylistically
>>
>>61021614

Sonic Youth? what
>>
>>61022218
albini was mentioned nowhere in that article and the minutemen thing was referring to tweez
>>
>>61022228
Not him, but the guitar tone is reminiscent and it's sort of proto-post rock in the same way Red was. That's the connection I see, at least. Rather than saying that it sounds like Slint could have played Red, you might say that it sounds like King Crimson could have played certain sections of Spiderland. They definitely remind me of each other in some aspects, at least.
>>
>>61022311
I think he's talking about the first page of the article, if you read that.
>>
>>61021109
Why do Minutemen trigger punk elitists so hard?
>>
>>61022311
>i can't read
>>
>>61022314
idk red seems distinctly prog to me, the guitars are distorted where slint's are clean. but i kind of see a slight similarity i guess

>>61022358
>linking to the second page of an article and expecting me to read the first page

i'm too lazy for that
>>
>>61022400
>slint's are clean
ugh what?
>>
>>61022464
>>61022464
with the exception of the climaxes of some of the songs on spiderland, where the guitars are distorted, most of the time their guitars are clean. when they're distorted most of the time they're playing power chords or screeching harmonics, not scale runs
>>
>>61022464
I haven't listened to Spiderland in forever so I'm hardly an authority, but I definitely remember some fuzzy, distorted bits. Breadcrumb Trail's "CREEPING UP INTO THE SKY" comes to mind. Not saying they didn't utilize clean tone as well, of course.
>>
Eh. Slint doesn't sound super unique to me, but unique enough for it to sound fresh.

I might be the only one who's "pretty good" on Spiderland. It's an enjoyable album, nothing incredible but nothing bad.
>>
>>61021692
Slint said they liked Minutemen's clean guitar tones, but other than that I hear nothing similar
>>
>>61022042

Yeah Red sounds very very similar to Spiderland. The rest of the King Crimson discography not so much.
>>
>>61022357
They were objectively punk while adhering to next to none of the "true" punk qualities.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.