[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw every time I try to make music it sounds generic and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault-1.jpg (92 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1.jpg
92 KB, 1920x1080
>tfw every time I try to make music it sounds generic and I have no idea how to make the type of music I want to
What do?
>>
File: Troutmask_COVER600px.jpg (373 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Troutmask_COVER600px.jpg
373 KB, 600x600
get inspirations
>>
>>61016386
you can bite the bullet tumblr
>>
>>61016386
http://www.oblicard.com/
>>
>>61016439
why are you viraling? do you actually do anything worthwhile or are you doing this for gay bitch purposes?
>>
>>61016386
Give up.
>>
>>61016386
because you don't make the kind of music you want to, you make the kind of music you are
>>
>>61016386
Right now at this moment create any random combination of notes at any speed in your head
Remember this, then adapt these ideas to patterns and precisely timed instances?
>>
>>61016386
Buy a Macbook Pro
>>
>>61016386
Got gud
>>
>>61016386
FUCK I know this feel

>tfw have dozens of wips, loops etc but no idea what to do with them or how to actually create a "song"

Kill me family
>>
>>61016386
https://soundcloud.com/fecshrooms/696a
>>
>>61016386
why do you want to make music?
>>
Add a triplet somewhere.
>>
Ok now for serious answer:
For coming up with new melodies, pronounce different phrases with different emotions then imagine them as melodies. For chord patterns, take a chord pattern you use a lot but not one you've used in your last song, and then change one note a half step and keep doing that until you have a totally different chord pattern.
Listen to natural rhythms, the rhythm of your washing machine, the rhythm of birdsong, the rhythm of words.
This is just how to start. The rest is just being unfiltered and not judging yourself, which is the most important step and also the hardest. You just have to not give a shit.
Sauce: Wrote my 1st song when I was 3, write a song every week for a gig at church. Wrote a song every day from December of 2007 until January 2008, using Robert Frost as a lyrics source (these were godawful though).
>>
>>61017044
what do you think of music theory? is it important in the songwriting field?
>>
Hit the books, kid.
Music is something you have to learn about if you want to make.
Would you read a book by a guy who never took an English class outside of high school?
Would you watch a movie by a guy who never went to film school?
>>
>>61017100
Quentin Tarantino didn't go to film school.
>>
>>61017141
pffft hahah
>>
File: 1415851903751.jpg (24 KB, 690x546) Image search: [Google]
1415851903751.jpg
24 KB, 690x546
>>61016386
>I have no idea how to make the type of music I want to
Does that mean you don't know what kind of music you want to make? Or you do, but you just don't know how to make it?

Either way I'd say try not to picture what the song will be like when It's done. Just write it and feel it out as it happens, rather than trying to shape it into an imagined final product.
>>
>>61017092
Music theory feels like it's in its infancy to me. There is definitely more I can feel about music than I know how to describe. And the higher levels of music theory are completely unattached from the kind of direct emotional experience I crave and want to understand.
I feel like music theory as it is normally written is 2 dimensional, and a deeper understanding of music is 3 dimensional. Music theory is a crystallization of one set of aesthetics, but aesthetics shift over time according to opaque but intuitive rules.
That said, everyone I know who can write songs is into music theory, and it is VERY useful to have a common language with which you can discuss ideas with others.
>>
>>61016556
>tfw can never make happy music
>if I ever do make some happy music there's still a disturbing sense of despair and loneliness in the track.
>>
File: 1449364533769.png (325 KB, 941x1021) Image search: [Google]
1449364533769.png
325 KB, 941x1021
>>61016386
>tfw every time I try to make music it sound it sounds so weird that it is not even music and sounds like shit

wat do
>>
>>61018112
Try a major scale, brah
>>
You actually have to be creative. If you're just trying to "make music" it will always be uninspired shit.
>>
>>61016386
Keep at it. When I started writing stuff I hated everything I wrote for a full year and was only releasing stuff after a year of dogshit. Can't expect to become a good songwriter overnight.

Also, see >>61016406

I can't remember who said it, but I remember seeing an interview with a guy who said "wanting to be 'one of those guys' is always good motivation for writing great music". Basically every great songwriter started out as a passionate listener and had to work at their craft, so remember that
>>
>>61018136
>tfw think I'm better at sound design than actually making music
>spend hours getting a synth or bass or sample sounding really, really nice
>no idea what to do with it so just loop it and start on a new layer

THIS ISN'T WHAT I WANT
>>
>>61018770
Break out an instrument and start jamming on top of the loop until it sounds good
>>
Listen to more diverse influences.

Jam with no specific sound / intention in mind.

Jam with people that enjoy different types of music than you.
>>
>>61017141
This was the first thought in my head lmao
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.