[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>RM: Is rap interesting to you? >BC: No, I think there's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 10
File: anthony fantano.jpg (49 KB, 697x697) Image search: [Google]
anthony fantano.jpg
49 KB, 697x697
>RM: Is rap interesting to you?

>BC: No, I think there's a tremendous amount of work, but it's inherently a negative expression in my eyes. It values skills that aren't necessary at the end of the day. I think it's done a lot of damage. I think it will be looked upon someday as a sort of embarrassment. I know that's very unpopular.
>>
He's not wrong though
>>
You think this is an embarrassment?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGzTob9RTIM
>>
>>61012516
>RM: Is rap interesting to you?

>BC: No, I'm 'that' kind of person. You know. I like Rush. You get me?
>>
DALE
A
L
E
>>
>Implying singing is a more necessary skill than rapping

Literally what
>>
MR WORLDWIDE
>>
>>61012579
>talking is just as necessary as singing
>sampling instruments is just as necessary as playing them

memerap fans, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>61012516
>It values skills that aren't necessary at the end of the day
what the fuck does that even mean?
>>
i don't think a guy who went along with the ideas for these videos has any credibility when it comes to talking about shit that's gonna be looked upon as an embarrassment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWJYaep-0sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uWwvQKGjLI
>>
>>61012516
Because "god is empty, just like me" and "despite all my rage im a rat in a cage" aren't an embarassment
>>
>>61012629
Ava Adore is fucking brilliant. Fuck you.
>>
DALE
A
L
E
>>
>>61012629
everlasting gaze is also notable for featuring the worst sounds in music history from 2:47 up until whatever
>>
>>61012629
Wait what? I mean don't get me wrong, post-90s Billy is a total cunt in every way, but what the fuck is wrong with Ava Adore? That's one of their best vids
>>
>>61012618
>>61012579
i think hes saying that rap glorifies attitudes, behaviors, and skills that are not beneficial to society ie doing drugs, having copious amounts of sex with people you dont know, being irresponsible with money, being confrontational with others, beating women the list goes on
>>
>>61012824
also people like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYwiR1kA7gI
get called a genius because of it
>>
>>61012516
Rap music is certainly a pretty bad genre overall.

Instrumental hip hop is cool though.
>>
>>61012858
Kanye has literally never rapped about any of those things.
>>
>>61012824
and rock music has never glorified drugs?
>>
>>61012858
this is the most cringeworthy shit i've watched in a while
>>
>>61012909
hahahaha have you ever actually listened to a kanye song?
>>
Hiphop will 100% be looked upon with embarrassment retroactively by the patrician scene of the future.
>>
>>61012824

Probably what he is getting at. Though I find it funny if Billy Corgan thinks he is making "necessary" high-quality art in the form of commercial pop/rock songs with individualistic personal lyrics about love/feelings.
>>
>>61012909
>>61012909
>missing the point

I'm not saying he's the worst perpetrator (although "she asked me what i wished for on my wishlist/you ever asked your bitch for other bitches"), and honestly that bashing of Kanye was more of a tangent than anything, but listen to the interview; this guy is worshipped as one of our worlds greatest innovators. I've heard someone say they think he could be the next president seriously.

He works in a music industry and genre where when he says some of the ridiculous things he says he gets looked at as a visionary.

Don't get me wrong, I listen to rap pretty often and there's plenty of great rap out there if you look for it, and I even am a fan of some of Kanye's stuff, but I think rap is morphing into something that's incredibly culturally damaging.
>>
Old white man isn't into hip-hop.

Moving on.
o
v
i
n
g

o
n
>>
>>61013182
A talented musician isn't into hip-hop you mean
>>
>>61012945
come on man. I never said anything about rock and roll. Obviously rock and roll glorified drugs. So does rap. You're just diverting attention away from the argument at hand, they can both be bad in their own way, it's not mutually exclusive
>>
>>61012516
he sounds like an old man complaining about rock n roll
>>
>>61012945
Rock from the 90's onward essentially had/has a "woe is me" attitude about drugs, with hit songs like angry chair, under the bridge, otherside, etc. which carried into 2000's buttrock. Can't say as much about rap.
>>
>>61013203
Being an old white man and being a talented musician are not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>61012824
Having copious amounts of sex with strangers is in no way a bad thing
>>
I can't find the source for this anywhere, so I'm gonna guess OP made it up.

This sounds like something he'd say though, possibly because he believes it and possibly to make people pay attention to him.
He's not been well recently...
>>
>>61012579
>rhythmic talking
>using your voice as an instrument to produce melodies

Gee anon I wonder which one is more practical in music.
>>
>>61013422
>practicality
>music
>>
Maybe one day we really will switch to the gold standard so then him having a shipment of gold bricks delivered to his studio won't seem so embarrassing.
>>
>>61013422
This is such a stupid post I don't actually know where to attack it from.
>>
>>61013460
Are you fucking retarded? I mean if you want to make any kind of music, it's more valuable to be able to use your voice as a melodic instrument. You can make way more different types of music than if you're only capable of rapping.
>>
>>61013523
Give me your best shot chief.
>>
>>61013314
>>61013314
no, I didn't really put that well. I guess I mean in an unhealthy way, both physically and psychologically, like stealing dudes women, having lots of unprotected sex with people you dont know (which contrary to popular belief is in fact a bad thing), having sex in a way that strips it down to its most base and physical elements and is more of an exploitation of the other person for one's (stress one) sexual gratification than a joining of two people for a shared experience
>>
>>61013589
I hate you weirdos who can't separate the concepts of casual sex and loving sex. You act like you can't enjoy both immensely.
>>
>>61012824

All my favorite music does that, check out my power electronics collection
>>
>>61012516
>but it's inherently a negative expression in my eyes
do people actually talk like that
>>
>>61013639
Yeah when you get out of high school you'll run into that more.
>>
>>61013628
you can and I have had both. No where in my post did I say casual sex is a bad thing. but there's a difference between casual sex and the way it's talked about in a lot of rap. Frankly you're being ignorant if you fail to see that, whether or not you approve of it
>>
>People on this fucking board still think rap isn't music
>>
>>61013733
Fucking some bitch on you just met counts as casual sex
>>
>>61013422
Rapping : beats :: singing : melodies

Tbqh how is it so hard to understand the good in all music styles
>>
>>61013779
I love rap man, I'm just saying that singing is a more valuable skill if you want to make music.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 276x260) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 276x260
>>61013685
>>
>>61013552
What he's saying is music isn't meant to be practical
Minus pop, of course
>>
>>61013798
Fair enough, I see your point. My original idea tho was that nothing musical is a 'necessary skill'
>>
>>61013833
I wasn't talking about genres being practical, I was talking about the practicality of the different musical skills. Are you guys so eager to argue that you just assume I don't agree with your life philosophies?

>>61013876
I never used the phrase "necessary skill". You imagined that I did.
>>
>>61013771
I'm not even the guy you're replying to, but god you're retarded.
>>
>>61013909
No you didn't use it, le bald dude did
>>
GAS THE WIGGERS RACE WAR NOW
>>
>>61013922
Good one white knight.
>>
>>61012629
lool, rekt
>>
>>61012516
Part of me agrees - the majority of rap isn't great IMO, but there are a lot of gems floating around.

Honestly I think he says shit like this as an attempt to stay relevant. I mean, his early works up until Machina were pretty good, but everything else? I bet doodlebops could make a better album.
>>
>>61012618
>>61012824

I think he is speaking purely about musical values. Rap emphasizes skills in lyrical rhythm and cadence, and musical production and arrangement. It arguably neglects other aspects of popular music like lyrical melody and harmony, musical performance and instrumentation, and song structure.
>>
File: babbito.jpg (10 KB, 296x376) Image search: [Google]
babbito.jpg
10 KB, 296x376
>>61012547
lmao what the fuck, this shit go hard s0n
>>
>>61015236
>song """structure"""

*raises spork*
>>
>>61012909
wrong
>>
>>61012516
billy corgan is a fucking joke. hes a supreme autist. i like watching nick cave BTFO out of him. hes just a pudgy pussy and hes always been a fucking grating faggot to everyone around him. nobody likes him except for the fact that SP are / were fucking awesome. otherwise hes just a fucking dork.

what the fuck is more necessary about singing and playing guitar versus rapping? fucking loser.
>>
>>61012629
oh my god "Everlasting gaze" is one of the worst songs ive ever had the displeasure of hearing. the part where the music cuts and he "sings" like a fuking rat over it is soooo bad
>>
>>61014029
I'm another anon and I also think you are a fucking retard.
>>
>>61013628
Get out.
>>
head like a fucking orange
>>
Black America literally got keked by gangsta rap, it literally built an image of the African American in the subconscious of American society that is still hard to shake off today lol and all you retards who will try to make this about race, listen to what i'm saying you intellectually deficient keks
>>
his statement is pretty vague, but if >>61015236 is what he meant, then i agree to an extent, and i'm a hip-hop fan.
>>
File: billy corgan roller coaster.jpg (69 KB, 658x329) Image search: [Google]
billy corgan roller coaster.jpg
69 KB, 658x329
He's right, most rap music is bad. The good ones don't save the genre.
>>
File: IMG_1066.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1066.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>
There's nothing wrong with disliking nigger "music".
>>
File: Masterpiece.jpg (80 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Masterpiece.jpg
80 KB, 300x300
It seems like those in this thread set on the idea that rap propogates negative views, as OP is implying, have fundamental misunderstandings about the genre.

I also think most of you who do listen to rap likely haven't expanded your understanding of how ineffably powerful poetry through rap cancan be when expressing feeling and getting points across.

If you think "Most" of rap is poorly moraled young nigger mumblings then you're sorely mistaken and missing out on the bulk of a good genre.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
>>61019116
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmUZ6nCFNoU
>>
Smug had already won. He is inside FM's head.
>>
>>61019116
WANNA GO FOR A RIDE
>>
Who is this and why should i care about his opinion?
>>
>>61019691

better that than in his belly
>>
>>61012516
Is this the 2011 Arizona shooter?
>>
>>61020231
Im going to go ahead and disregard his opinion since no one can give me a single good reason not to
>>
>>61020382

His opinion can be discarded, even at their best his band was mediocre.
>>
>>61020414
I dont even bloody know who he is let alone what band he was in
>>
>>61012547
This is my jam.
>>
>>61015236
Kinda like how poetry around Shakespeare's time went? No musical performance, just lyrics and cadence.
>>
>>61020435

Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins desu baka senpai
>>
>>61020549
>smashing pumpkins

Oh ok opinion safely tossed out sounds like it was formed by a high schooler anyway
>>
>>61013203
>Musician
>Once said Radiohead were the last band to do anything new with the guitar
>>
>>61016288
/thread
>>
>>61016327
Ever listen to Machina II? DON'T.
>>
After just having heard memoirs of a clone for the first time just now this douche can go find a nice bridge and walk over the side
>>
>>61019359
This is why I try to make it a rule never to watch music videos from my favorite bands. It ruins the vision of the song I had in my head.
>>
>>61020717
wrong thread.
>>
>>61012516

Is he one of those people that think of rap as this eminem thing where it's all about talking really fast and having long rhymes?
>>
>>61012945
Rock tends to more glorify the destructive nature of drugs. Acknowledging the effects goes a long way.
>>
>>61020839
No right thread
>>
>>61020840
>it values skills that are not necessary at the end of the day

And rock doesn't? What is he even trying to say?
>>
>>61012516
one of the few times in his life he's been right
>>
>the raisin face bald guy again
why do americlaps like his shitty music anyway
>>
>>61021124
is that a siamese twin siamese cat
>>
>>61012516

Lol music is subjective. He doesn't value lyrical wordplay etc etc. found in HipHop that's it.

Someone might not value singing ability, same shit.
>>
>>61013589
contrary to popular opinion? are you stupid? no one thinks that unprotected sex is "good" and it's certainly not popular opinion to be FOR unsafe sex. people just do it because of shortsightedness.

but I understand you're implying that sex for fun is inherently morally wrong, and you're completely incorrect.
>>
>>61020612
>I've never listened to a contender for the best band of the 90's

found the 17 year old
>>
>>61012516
This is the man who wrote bullet with butterfly wings. Yeah, that's a fucking embarrassment right there.
>>
>>61020858
>he's never listened to Heroin
>>
Be honest guys

Nostalgia aside.

Were the Pumpkins ever good?

Bullet with butterfly wings is linkin park tier
>>
>>61024276
I think linkin park has had hits that were less cringy honestly.
>>
File: 1343076142350.jpg (102 KB, 775x1523) Image search: [Google]
1343076142350.jpg
102 KB, 775x1523
>>61024276
>were the smashing pumpkins ever good?
>implying Siamese Dream isn't legitimately GOAT-material
wew lad
>>
>>61024103
THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.