[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the appeal of this? it's just ambling pretentious
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: homepage_large.d0b8b518.jpg (100 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.d0b8b518.jpg
100 KB, 319x319
what is the appeal of this?

it's just ambling pretentious noise with a thin veneer of "muh indeh" lo-fidelity. everything sounds terrible, including those clunky guitars.

it's too long as well. why is this considered good?
>>
explain how it is pretentious
>>
>>61010047
>what is the appeal of this?
Phil makes some really great songs and the album is all connected through the story it tells.

My Warm Blood always gives me feels desu, it's a pretty feelsy album

I wouldn't say it's pretentious and the clunky guitars sound really beautiful to me
>>
>>61010047
Well, no. It doesn't sound terrible, it's just unconventional. Music has no rules, and this album does a good job at showing that. It adheres to the conventions of standard instruments, but uses them in a very unique way (both in terms of mixing as well as how they're played).

And no, I wouldn't argue that the album is too long. It keeps interesting dynamics going throughout the entire album, which is helped by the rather short tracks.
>>
>>61010047
It gives me the feels anon and it is really beautiful
What makes you say it is pretentious?
>>
I can feel you op, gave it 2/5 on rym
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>61010315
>>61010897
these anon are right, tho i also think its kinda overrated... i still love

still, pic related is faaaar superior to me
>>
>>61011026
agree that Mount Eerie is better
Solar System is my favourite song from Phils discograpghy
>>
>>61010315
My warm blood has about 8 minutes of literal vinyl scratching noise....how is that appealing? I mean it gives you feels so I'm
Not invalidating yer opinion, I just don't see it
>>
I dislike this album as well. The appeal is probably that it sounds somehow fragile but it is super annoying how they can't hold a steady rhythm with anything
>>
i wish i was phil
sorry you didn't like it op
>>
>>61010047
It is one of the most emotion-inducing albums I've ever listened to it. It's extremely creative and extremely unique. One of the greatest albums of all time for its variety and emotion. It may take a couple of listens for you, but I picked it up and loved it right away.
>>
>>61013619
>One of the greatest albums of all time for its variety and emotion
I must be a sperg then, unable to feel.
>>
File: 1444852465283.png (194 KB, 331x327) Image search: [Google]
1444852465283.png
194 KB, 331x327
>>61011135
>YOU ARE VULTURES IN TREES

gets me every time
>>
File: 1449491362184.jpg (83 KB, 578x600) Image search: [Google]
1449491362184.jpg
83 KB, 578x600
>Love shit like this and Mount Eerie
>Albums like Okay Computer continue to elude me
>>
>>61010047
I agree it's too long but the production is fucking amazing. I'm still picking out new things in it that I hadn't previously noticed.

I agree that >>61011026 is the superior album though. It takes everything from The Glow and tightens it up into one complete epic narrative.
>>
>>61010047
literally one of the only albums i can NOT sit through for more than about three minutes before turning it off

fucking hate it
>>
Any more tracks like I want wind to blow and the glow pt 2? I really like those jammy instrumental sections that appears halfway through.
>>
>>61010047
style over substance
>>
>>61015057
Filtered
>>
>>61010047
You're wrong and you bloody know it
>>
>>61010047
some people are different than you, which gives them different tastes than you
>>
>>61010047
I like everything except the noise parts. I like "indie" folk, kill me
>>
i thought i felt your shape but i was wrong
>>
>>61015057
You don't really have a place to judge something you haven't listened to in its entirety. I have missed so much by doing that.
>>
>>61010047
OH MY GOD

MY SIZE!!!
YOUR WEIGHT

MY SIIIIIZE
>>
>>61010047
If you have to ask "why is this considered good?" about anything then you should probably consider that you weren't listening well enough.
>>
I don't know. I found this album to be pretty decent...At least for the first half. Thn I find myself getting sort of bored.
>>
>>61016839
i can pretty much judge that i won't like it from having attempted it both as a whole and the individual tracks so many times over the past several years, thanks
>>
>>61010047
thank you fuck, could not find one melody worth remembering past the moment of hearing it
>>
>>61012237
To fit the three part storyline.

You're supposed to feel like you're alone in the woods of Mount Eerie, hearing the distant foghorns of boats off the shore, after you failed to freeze to death.
>>
>with a thin veneer of "muh indeh" lo-fidelity. everything sounds terrible, including those clunky guitars.

Do you not like indie rock in general?

Then you should not be surprised that an indie rock album wasn't your thing.
>>
How can you not like the guitars at the end of I Want Wind to Blow?
>>
>>61018632
>could not find one melody worth remembering

>IIIIIIIIIIIIIII TOOOOK MY SHIRT OFF IN THE YARD
also
>MY BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD FLOWS HARSHLY
>>
>>61018816
what the actual fuck are you saying
>>
>>61013041
not holding a steady rhythm adds to the humanity m8
>>
>>61010047
im tired of faggots calling things "pretentious!!!1" as a substitute for "I DON'T GET IT SO IT'S BAD"
>>
>>61020526
pretentious means praised excrement in the literal sense in Latin you sativa huffing duck
>>
>>61010047
idk i like it, it sorta reminds me of early swans
>>
>>61010047
I thought it was bad until I read the lyrics along with the listen. Cried on The Moon, I'll Not Contain You, and I Felt your Shape.
Motifs of warmth, of a glow, of coldness
>>
>people still fall for this bait
>>
>>61018641
3 parts as in the whole microphones album trilogy (it was hot, the glow, mount eerie), or 3 parts within only the glow? does phil not kill himself in the glow?
>>
The ambient bits are the best parts of the album imo.

Theres only a few albums (Little Kid - Logic Songs comes to mind) where the dynamics are played with quite like they are on here.
The album, holistically, is pretty fucking silent, with more traditional-sounding and structured songs essentially bubbling up from the silence, drifting in and out of the songs main consciousness.
Mansion is the perfect example of this, where the song feels like its fighting to be heard because of how drowned out it sounds.
The last part of My Warm Blood is like the album finally just giving up.

>>61021900
I think Phil's on record for saying that The Glow pt 2 isn't about suicide.
Even then, Mount Eerie continues from the theme of loss (It was hot and Glow pt 2) when the main character pretty specifically dies and gets eaten by vultures.

In my opinion Phil's Microphones work fits better into a more abstract trilogy if you include Don't Wake me Up
>Don't Wake Me Up - Air
>It Was Hot - Water
>The Glow Pt. 2 - Fire
>Mount Eerie - Earth
>>
>>61010047
I agree op. I think it's main appeal is that it's a record any indie artist could make, and the fact that after 8 records in a music mecca Elvrum got national exposure despite being totally mediocre makes the album sort of a beacon of hope from aspiring amateurs. The songwriting, performances, and production are all pretty run of the mill in terms of the stuff I hear made in people's bedrooms. I hear local artists who are literally as talented or more so all the time, and I live in fucking Milwuakee. There are albums in the genre that are way fucking better, e.g. Sung Tongs, Yellow House, ITAOTS, etc. I honestly think he just got lucky and indie artists relate to its charming quaintness. I don't think I'd call it pretentious or terrible, but I definitely don't think it's relevant.
>>
>>61010047
As a whole, its a bad album. But I want wind to blow and the glow pt II is probably my favorite pair of songs ever. I'll always go back to those but im always disappointed when I lose interest after just a few songs. Some of the songs near the end are great too.
>>
>>61010047
Why do you think that if a good amount of people like it and you dont, theres something wrong with the people that do?
Once you get outta highschool and realize that some people have different opinions than you, life will be less stressful for ya :)
>>
i dont like it but anyone who calls something pretentious, says its "too long" or claims people are just "pretending" to like something is USUALLY wrong.
>>
>tfw Samurai Sword comes on
>>
File: norm1.jpg (96 KB, 1050x538) Image search: [Google]
norm1.jpg
96 KB, 1050x538
i can only listen to this with normalizer on media player classic or else i cant hear shit. does musicbee has the same plugin tho
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.