[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy FUCK this album is terrible!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: runthefools.jpg (181 KB, 685x683) Image search: [Google]
runthefools.jpg
181 KB, 685x683
Why the fuck is this album held so highly? Pitchfork, Fantano, Reddit all gave this a fucking 8-10/10, praising El-P's production and Killer Mike's "insightful" and "political" lyrics.

The beats are mediocre, not amazing, and half the fucking tracks sound the same. The vocals are SHIT though. Killer Mike sounds like he's gargling a goldfish while rapping and El-P has no flow at all. It doesn't have clean production like TPAB or heavy and noisy production like DG or Yeezus. It just sounds like dogshit.

Not to mention the /x/-tier lyrics about the Illuminati and religion. Fucking really?

This deserves a 4/10 AT BEST.
>>
Welcome to memerap
>>
Honestly I just thought it was dull and boring
>>
yup
>>
Nah its pretty good

Doesn't take itself as seriously as you're taking it in terms of lyrics, and the production and flow sound fine to me. I'd say 7/10, I enjoyed it.
>>
The features are bad as well.
>>
>>61006737
i agree, i'm not sure why it took off so much
>>
I thought it was okay, like their first album. Most songs sound like they started with a good idea that just wasn't executed properly.
>>
Same, I was bored listening to it.
>>
>>61006749
I usually like memerap though. I love SremmLife, Drake, DS2, Thugger. And I don't know if Death Grips, DOOM, Kanye count as memerap but I love most of their stuff too. Those albums just sound good to be, the production is excellent and the lyrics are fun.

>>61006767
Exactly, puts you to sleep. Not "fuego" or energetic at all.
>>
>>61006789
true, travis barker's drumming sounds like shit
>>
>>61006789
That De la Rosa sample sounded fucking retarded too
>>
It's accessible rap designed for boring white guys such as me. That's why I enjoyed it.
>>
>>61006737
While i do enjoy this album it is overrated
>>
>THINGS I DONT LIKE SUCK! WHY ARE THINGS MADE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARENT ME? I MEAN, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???
it's alright you'll always have the irreverent and hilarious music video of the hit song Hotline Bling™ to cheer you up. what a silly dance XD
>>
>>61007059
erm, hotline bling is actually good tho...
>>
>>61007059
>implying Run the Reddit and Drake aren't both trash for top 40 plebs
>>
>>61006825
>I love SremmLife, Drake, DS2, Thugger. And I don't know if Death Grips, DOOM, Kanye count as memerap but I love most of their stuff too.

I'm starting to get the impression that maybe this was accessible enough for you. Not hating, just saying now that in light of that comment, your "the beats are mediocre" criticism has taken on a new context --that context being that you love poppy hooks.
>>
>>61007059
>someone doesn't like something that isn't top 40 poprap so they must love top 40 poprap!
I mean you have a good point with how dumb the thread is but you're not giving yourself too much here.

That being said I thought it was pretty mediocre too but what are you gonna do? Other people obviously loved it.
>>
>>61007088
that's what i was saying though, who could deny that these bars are hot fire?
>You and me we just don't get along
>You make me feel like I did you wrong
>Going places where you don't belong
>>
Don't mind me, just posting actual good rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyCTZ8c-trc
>>
>>61007136
he literally said that he liked drake and that song specifically lol read the thread
>>
>>61007161
lol and you're making fun of el-p's production?
>>
>>61007201
what?
i'm not OP but yeah EL-P's production is pretty bad
>>
>>61007219
lol how does that godawful synth playing those same 3 notes over and over again not sound like ass to you but el-p's beats do?
>>
>>61007219
seriously though, what is even the metric for quality in that style of production?

i always assumed people who listened to that stuff were primarily fans of the rappers and nobody really cared much about the production
>>
>>61006737
the only good thing about this album is the cover art 2bh
>>
>>61007277
>>61007376
if it bangs in the whip it's good
if it doesn't it's bad

simple
>>
>>61007482
lol you're one of those people whose sub is louder than all the other speakers in the car combined arent you?
>>
File: 1449973591548.jpg (305 KB, 1968x2608) Image search: [Google]
1449973591548.jpg
305 KB, 1968x2608
>>61006775
>Doesn't take itself as seriously
ebin truly ebin
>>
File: 1434509301096.png (178 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1434509301096.png
178 KB, 1600x900
>>61006737
If only /mu/ could be taken seriously.
>>
>>61007527
nope, that's not how you use that meme
>>
>>61006737
>>61006767
>>61006773
>>61006789
I disagree and think it more or less lived up to the hype. Features are great too. Whatever.
>>
>>61007555
just listen to what was posted here as an example of these people's taste
>DUDE XANAX LMAO
>4 synth notes repeat the entire song over the most recycled 808 rhythm that exists
>>
When you look at their cover arts and visual aesthetic in general you'd expect the actual sound to have a lot more edge to it instead of this bland hip pop

not bad but utterly forgettable
>>
I gather a lot of people did not like Gangsta Boo's feature on Love Again. Is this the case?

I loved it and think the song is leaps better for her inclusion. Honestly it would have been even better if Killer Mike would've echoed her with 'Clit in his mouth all day' backing vox to complete the counterbalance.
>>
>>61007704
yeah i remember a bunch of people shat on that song when it came out and that verse in particular
>NO GURLZ ALLOWD
>>
>>61007667
Everybody kept hyping the fuck out of the album
"Best hip hop duo hands down"
"Conscious hip hop at its best"
"This shit go hard bruh"
"Damn its aggressive af"

They think it's aggressive and energetic, the overall sounds is boring, slow, forgettable and dull
>>
>>61007704
Are you autistic?
>>
>>61007747
compared to what?
>>
>>61007747
That's what I thought of too
>BRUTAL, UNFORGIVING HARDCORE HIP-HOP THAT COMPLETELY CHANGES THE GAME WITH ITS INNOVATIVE AND AGGRESSIVE SOUND
>Turns out it's bland beats, 50% joke/50% tumblr lyrics, and pointless features
>>
>>61007774
No. Are you?
>>
>>61006737

neither this nor rtj 1 are among their best projects. both company flow and el-p's solo tapes are miles ahead. as for killer mike I think r.a.p. music is his best release.

the beats can get really samey, especially on rtj 1. rtj 2 was just a letdown in general for me though. it has more great tracks than rtj 1, but also more horrible ones. songs I don't want to ever listen to again:

a christmas fucking miracle
all due respect
crown, love again
>>
>>61007791
>BRUTAL, UNFORGIVING HARDCORE
why are you guys acting like you were gonna hear the hip hop equivalent of a metal album? you're dumb if that's what you expected
>>
>>61007219

please be memeing

>>61007059

hotline bling is a great pop song, nothing wrong with it.

>>61007201

are you trying to say young thug gets bad production?
>>
>>61007871
that's the only young thug song i've ever listened to but yes, i thought the production was very unimpressive
>>
>>61007704

gangsta boo was the best part of the song. she's a hip hop legend and hasn't dropped at all like juicy j and friends have. have you listened to her tapes with beatking?
>>
>>61007794
Classic autist defense mechanism
>>
It has a 3.76 on RYM, 9.0 on Pitchfork and Fantano gave it a strong 8.

You faggots are just pathetic contrarians.
>>
>>61007747
>aggressive and energetic
Yeah, I'd say it is these things. Maybe not so much aggressive tho, much more humour in there than aggression. Definitely not boring, slow, forgettable or dull. Pretty much the complete opposite. It's better than The Money Store anyway.
>>
>>61007088
The lyrics are misogynistic and show a lot of insecurity on Drake's part, certainly ruined it for me.
>>
>>61007885

fair enough then. halftime is not one of my favorite instrumentals either.

thug pretty much gets the best production money can buy in atlanta. try listening to "the blanguage", "best friend", "power" or even "danny glover".
>>
>El-P
>no flow

kek

it's vastly inferior to the first album tho
>>
>>61007959

to be honest my friend if you're disappointed by drake being insecure then you can't listen to any song of his.

that's like listening to low and expecting it to be happy, like listening to have a nice life and expecting it to be positive.

drake makes engaging pop music with close to zero self-awareness and insight. I don't even like drake, but I have to admit hotline bling is a good song.
>>
>>61007939
pretty much this, they're one of the most universally acclaimed acts out right now
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJDxfvx9R6c

how could anyone hate on this?
>>
>>61008031

acclaim really doesn't mean much though.
>>
>>61008057
it means that people like it... by definition lol
>>
>>61008078

I obviously meant acclaim doesn't mean much in terms of quality...

"How many people like [thing]" is a horrible measurement for anything but popularity.
>>
>>61008207
>my standards for good hip hop are the right ones
what a cool guy
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.