[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What musical style or genre would you like to see revived the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (508 KB, 1351x1012) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
508 KB, 1351x1012
What musical style or genre would you like to see revived the most? I would die to see a true-blue revival of early rock and roll, but it will probably just be a smattering of assholes playing dorky music with pompadours.
>>
It's time for Hair Metal revival.

>yes. I've heard Steel Panther
>>
>it will probably just be a smattering of assholes playing dorky music with pompadours.

so completely accurate then
>>
New Jack Swing
>>
>>61005292
rockabilly revival already happened in the late 70's/early 80's, and it is every bit as fucking corny and terrible as you'd imagine
>>
>>61005322

Who are you quoting?
>>
>>61005333
good trips †bh
>>
OSDM REVIVAL WHEN
>>
>>61005370
I know and that's what I don't want (but will get).
>>
grunge revival or nu-metal is on the rising

all these rich hipsters making dream pop/shugazi gonna be btfo soon

hardcore scenes are growing too
>>
Nothing, I want a fresh trend that's as non-derivative as possible. Revivals suck.
>>
>>61005445
>hardcore scenes are growing too

yeah new england has been fucking LITTERED with converge clone bands for quite some time now

i can't stand it, but the kids can't get enough of it
>>
>>61005464
Have fun waiting for whatever a "fresh trend" is
Why don't you go snack on some ring bologna
>>
I don't get what this post is asking for. You want a revival of rock and roll like back when it was dangerous and pissed white people over 30 off and got people arrested.

You don't want a kitschy, safe pantomime of that.

Well, it's 2015, so by definition, it is kitschy and safe. It can't not be kitschy and safe. There is no truly rebellious way to rehash your grandparent's favorite music.

If you actually wanted something dangerous that pisses people off and makes them shout shit like "this isn't real music!" and gets the cops mad at you, you'd listen to fucking rap.

But all the old-timey rock and roll fetishists dismiss rap as being "not real music." Gee big surprise there.
>>
>>61005322
Japanese Metal, mainstream metal, is basically glam without the cheeky lyrics.
>>
>>61005527
Hip hop is either my favorite genre or second favorite, behind early rock/rockabilly/blues.

Why can't people want to go back to basics, and just play stripped down rock like the first wave punks did? Punk was a fucking gay mess by 70s end, but you get what I'm saying.
>>
>>61005527
I don't want a fucking marketing attitude back that makes teenagers go "OMG so cool and dangerous I am a true rebel". I want the musical stylings back, I want piano back into rock, I want a different style with a sparser sound and groovier tempos. I don't give a fuck who it pisses off or how dangerous it is, I'm not a marketing and gossip obsessed twat.
>>
Slowcore
>>
>>61005445
>all these rich hipsters making dream pop/shugazi gonna be btfo soon

lol yeah, theres only so many people who've never heard a reverb pedal before
>>
Even if there was somehow a 50s revival, Autotune and other terrible modern production values like Pro-Tools perfection editing would make everything sound terrible (like modern music production)
>>
>>61005518
he's right though, >Revivals suck.
revivals are the absolute worst. especially when you get bands dressing like the era they emulate
>>
Witch House Revival when
>>
File: 1445911901764.jpg (75 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1445911901764.jpg
75 KB, 640x960
>>61005602
yeah and a tape revival's never gonna happen since making things digitally is a million times quicker and more convenient

and whenever a new band does record with analog tape, they have to be fucking assholes about it like foo fighters or jack white and have the whole thing marketed around the fact that it has "reel warm analog production bro" instead of focusing on the music
>>
City Pop revival now
>>
File: 53259128d9bff.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
53259128d9bff.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
>>61005602
>muh non protools aesthetic
>>
>>61005665
The marketing is pretty annoying, but I rather enjoyed both those records.
>>
>>61005665
>and whenever a new band does record with analog tape, they have to be fucking assholes about it like foo fighters or jack white and have the whole thing marketed around the fact that it has "reel warm analog production bro" instead of focusing on the music

also the worst
>>
>>61005694
yeah, soft rock is about to make a big comeback (ironically, of course). mac demarco cites steely dan has a huge influence and one of the most acclaimed indie albums of this year (simple songs by jim o'rourke) is basically a steely dan tribute. not to mention all the yuppie tribute shit destroyer's been doing for a while now
>>
Rock and roll revival? Get ready to see a bunch of black people make guitars talk more than your favorite white band
>>
>>61005646
Man is it impossible to have it both ways? To have the music without dickheads in flannel suits and massive hair that isn't representative of the era, but a nonsense caricature of it?

Or can revivals only ever be pastiche?
>>
>>61005709
>jack white appreciators anonymous
>>
IDM
>>
>>61005737
Hmm?
>>
>>61005348
Again, this
>>
>>61005665
>>61005708
I understand I sound like an asshole, but there's a reason music from the past 20 years sounds significantly worse than the kind that came before it. I'm not against digital production at all. Not even against using Pro-Tools. But the desire to have absolute perfection in every album released today just gets overwhelming after awhile.
>>
>>61005445
hardcore never died so it can't have a revival
>this is hardcore fest
>outbreak fest
>fluff fest
>probably some crazy shit in asian countries too
>>
>>61005751
Already making a comeback. Some of the most acclaimed art pop musicians of today (Arca, Jenny Hval, Holly Herndon, etc.) have IDM influences out the ass. Even Bork returned to her 90's IDM sound for Vulnicura.
>>
>>61005751
Unless there's another generation of rdj-tier artists this wouldn't work out (just look at the shitton of poor idm in the early 2000s,) and even if there was such a talented musical generation they probably wouldn't go back and remake idm (see 0pn, arca, etc) especially since it's already been done (ie chris clark.)
>>
>>61005292
Why would you want that? Early rock'n'roll was monotonous and fucking terrible.

>>61005445
This is probably true, although shoegaze will carry on in the shadows, as it always has, even before the "revival".

>>61005694
If economy wasn't in such a shit state everywhere maybe this could happen.

I'd love a Gothic Rock revival myself, maybe taking some influences from >>61005663.
>>
>>61005783
ok yeah i actually agree with the sentiment. i was being a dick with the fedora thing.
>>
More math music
>>
>>61006081
by math, you mean time signatures right? no more fucking diddly dang twinkle guitar math rock, i've heard enough of that shit to last me a lifetime
>>
Why is Matthew McConaughey playing guitar?
>>
>>61006128
Nah like mathcore
>>
>>61006179
ew

but i want a revival of tera melos/storm and stress kind of shit in 10 years
>>
>>61006191
Tera melos is good, but they picked the guy with the pussiest voice to sing.
I don't like math rock as much as I do math metal, just because math metal is that satisfyingly intense sound, and mathrock usually has skinny twink boys that whisper
>>
>>61006276
Also, I can't listen to any studio recorded Tera Melos, it has to be a live performance, because I don't know what the FUCK mixing they do in studio, it sucks
>>
File: Flood+coverjpg.jpg (58 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Flood+coverjpg.jpg
58 KB, 500x500
Jazz Funk
>fantastic, accessible jazz
>>
Hypnagogic pop. I hate that name, but the proto-vaporwave/art rock sound was great.
>>
I like some modernish rockabilly stuff. The cramps were cool, all the cramps ripoff bands were bad though. Jd McPherson is good. I think we're are already in soft rock times, war on drugs, future islands, that kinda stuff is very soft rock
>>
>>61006276
>pussiest
>skinny twink boys that whisper

i feel so emasculated right now, man
gonna go listen to some pity sex lmao
>>
>>61005292
>but it will probably just be a smattering of assholes playing dorky music with pompadours.
That's called rockabilly.

See. >>61005370

>>61005882
>I'd love a Gothic Rock revival myself, maybe taking some influences from >>61005663.

I like the idea of Goth revival, but it'd be better if it was mixed more with shoegaze or straight up deathrock, or noisy Birthday Party type shit, or witch house like you mentioned.
>>
should be revived
1.Ska
2.Death rock
3.Heartland rock
4.Acid rock
5.emo pop
6.Madchester
7.g funk

Should die

1.Post hardcore
2.Shoegze
3.Trap
4.djent
>>
>>61006437
Naw! Rockabilly sprung up right alongside rock and roll, predating it by some definitions. The photo in OPs post is of Carl Perkins, who was a pretty straight forward rockabilly artist.
>>
>>61006437
>I like the idea of Goth revival, but it'd be better if it was mixed more with shoegaze or straight up deathrock, or noisy Birthday Party type shit, or witch house like you mentioned.

Yeah this is the exact type of goth rock I was thinking, the more dissonant, aggressive, post-punky one. Either extremely atmospheric/shoegazy or extremely angular. That'd be great.
>>
>>61006518
>3.Heartland rock
Yes please. Miss those good ol working class tunes.
>>
>>61006518
>ska
with no punk in it, right?

>death rock
YES

>heartland rock
hell no. i like bruce springsteen but indie bands that are influenced by him are literally the worst

>acid rock
pretty much the same thing as psych rock, no? there's been a huge psych scene since the 90's
>>
>>61006558
i want to come back in hipster form too, like i want father john misty to be the hipster bruce springsteen
>>
>>61006553
theres been so much death rock and post-punk released this year. what more do you need?
>>
>>61006518
>should be revived
>5.emo pop
>6.Madchester
oh yeah

>Should die
>1.Post hardcore
fuck no
>>
>>61006582
Gross gross gross

Bruce Springsteen is the fucking worst
Father John Misty is hella bland, those records are basically made for a $60 dollar Crosley.
>>
>>61006574
acid rock is a harder sub genre of psychedelic

>Acid rock is a subgenre of psychedelic rock which is generally considered "heavier," "harder," "louder," or "rawer" than standard psychedelic rock and is often characterized by long instrumental solos, "trippy" lyrics, distorted or "fuzzy" electric guitars and deliberate use of feedback, and frequent musical improvisation.
>>
>>61006553
>Yeah this is the exact type of goth rock I was thinking, the more dissonant, aggressive, post-punky one.
>Either extremely atmospheric/shoegazy or extremely angular. That'd be great.

I'm already trying to do the really angular, nearly atonal sort of guitar playing associated with that, but mixed with post-rock / ambient influences, like Set Fire To Flames or Rhys Chatham, or Keiji Haino's guitar playing.
>>
>>61006624
>Bruce Springsteen is the fucking worst
>Father John Misty is hella bland

holy shit get a look at this plebe
>>
>>61005419
where have you been for the past decade?
>>
unwound ripoff bands when?
>>
You really think they weren't assholes back then too?
They got a ton of ladies, probably had hot shot cars, and probably abused drugs
Bad crowd
>>
>>61006605
Any recs for death-rock? The one I've heard so far wasn't anything special. About post-punk although it's very similar (sometimes indistinguishable) it doesn't have the vibes of goth rock most times.

>>61006642
Shit that actually sounds great would love to hear it.
>>
>>61006647
The only people who like Springsteen are people who jerk off to their imaginary ideas of what blue collar middle Americans are, and blue collar middle Americans think Springsteen is a fucking rich guy rockstar jerkoff, because he is.

Father John Misty sounds like somebody sucked all the greatness out of Fleet Foxes and then dropped an Audacity "vinyl pops" filter over it and mixed everything to the mid range.
>>
>>61006656
i know diskord and cruciamentum are making good classic sounding OSDM, but that's all i know
>>
>>61006679
What the fuck is a hot shot car?
A car driven by a particular man who happened to be a hot shot?
Or a car that was generally marketed towards hot shots?
>>
The problem with the modern world is the internet killed regional musical scenes, so now every hipster across the world with internet access is making bland shoegazing faggy whisper rock because thats what they think p4k wants.
While it used to be that you know, in Seattle they would make grunge, and Memphis the blues and California hair metal.
Everyone did their own thing but now the internet has homogenized everything.

anyways i want rock to get hard again.

I can see rap getting softer and softer, as it has been over time while it got fused with pop music.

I dont hate electronic music but i really want the doushey frat bro dumb sluts in indian head dresses casual crowd to fuck off to some other shit

pop music will probably get more adult contemporary because of adele.
>>
>>61006679
Not that kind of asshole.
>>
>>61006991
What do you mean? Are you implying the fundamental forms of assholism have changed?
>>
>>61007070
I mean dickheads who wear pink suit jackets and have golden sunglasses in jest because they're playing a musical character to try to appeal to boomers. I don't really care if Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash were jerks, or drug users. I'm using the word assholes to denote people who are trying to be a live version of a TIME/LIFE infomercial called Malt Shop Memories.
>>
>>61006682
>Shit that actually sounds great would love to hear it.
https://serpentineskies.bandcamp.com/album/lazarus

The first track is the best example of what I was trying to do.

Then again, the entire thing was recorded first as a backing track with 5 guitar layers some made up of bowed guitar and abrasive picking techniques, and various tools.

Then I added a couple of songs on top of the mix and cut/organized them so that the tracks all segued into one another.
>>
>>61006518
>3.Heartland rock
>4.Acid rock
>5.emo pop
>6.Madchester
would love to see these revive
>>
>>61007374
vocals need some improvement but like the atmosphere, got sp00kd/10 great stuff
>>
File: yes-76-fullstage-red1.jpg (164 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
yes-76-fullstage-red1.jpg
164 KB, 500x373
Symphonic rock
>>
Some sweet psychedelic blues from the late 60's
>>
>>61006633
There's a lot of that going on right now.

I'm the only one tired of all this psychedelic/poorly blues influenced/vintage rock revival?
>>
>>61007374
i like this, and i actually enjoy vocals desu

>tfw this is better than HANL
>>
Krautrock
>>
>>61009645
>tfw this is better than HANL
Pretty good compliment, considering Dan's from my state.

>>61008829
>vocals need some improvement but like the atmosphere, got sp00kd/10 great stuff

I worked on it for a month in preparation for Halloween. So I wanted to make the spookiest, creepiest, darkest record possible with plenty of experimenting.

I am definitely not great at vocals, but I've gotten much better over the past few months. I can sort of sing now, at least in key most of the time.

I still have trouble with harsher vocals like on the last track, but that's more to do with me having to use a tiny Marshall amp instead of an actual working PA, and I lack a bass for legit rock songs.
>>
>>61005292
none

revivals are always inferior to the originals
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.