[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is it considered so good? I don't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg (62 KB, 275x271) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg
62 KB, 275x271
why is it considered so good? I don't get it
>>
no i will not listen to it anon.
>>
>>61000644
Because it's an art rock record with pop sensibility, intelligent compositions, good performances, well done production and it's extremely accessible for what it is. Oh yeah, and it has elements of prog and jazz fusion. What's there not to like?
>>
>>61000644
It's considered good because most people get it
>>
>>61000661
This
and Douglas Adams.
>>
File: OOS.jpg (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
OOS.jpg
44 KB, 500x500
>>61000644
It has some great tracks in it, but a good part of the album is pretty unremarkable.

I honestly believe pic related is superior.
>>
>>61000644
because thom yorks tiny dick and tiny dick syndrome
>>
>>61000644
It uses production to its advantage better than almost any rock album. And it expresses a wide range of emotions in a wide range of ways. It's a very very colorful album

>>61001340
Although I don't agree with this statement, I can't really argue against it either
>>
>>61000644
I don't know honestly, since I've never seen anyone who likes every single track.

For instance, I hate Climbing Up the Walls and Electioneering, but everyone seems to like Climbing Up the Walls and hates The Tourist, which I like.
>>
>>61001340
space dementia best track btw
>>
>>61001451
I like every track. I bet most big Radiohead fans don't dislike any of the tracks; even with Electioneering there's no reason to hate it; I can't detect anything that track does that seriously offends. It's just sort of generic compared to Paranoid Android or Let Down

Also the Tourist is fucking amazing u right
>>
im trying to listen to this album to contribute here but it's really a chore
>>
>>61001491
It's definitely up there. My choices would be Citizen Erased and Megalomania, really sad yet full of hope.
>>
>>61001552
what's wrong?
>>
holy shit, i hate the production on paranoid android. the way it's all treble and the cross stick on the snare with the horribly bland acoustic guitar, it just sounds so weak and generic omg
>>
>>61000644
Can't explain it in technical terms but it just sounds very pleasurable.
>>
>>61000644
OK Computer (Capitol, 1997) was the album that sanctified their futuristic pop. For about six songs, this is a masterpiece of faux avantgarde (of pretending to be avantgarde while playing mellow pop music). The rest is filler.
>>
>>61001552

I'm and oldfag and didn't like it when it first came out. 10 years later I don't know why I didn't get it before but it's amazing. I guess I just wasn't ready. There is nothing like it, and that's part of what makes it so beautiful, it's like a snowflake.
>>
>>61001340
i dunno, there are a lot of electonic synths in this record, way too much, and i don't like how they contrast with the orchestral instruments. The all record is very chaotic.
OKC is on the contrary perfectly balanced and smooth but still very experimental. One of my favourite albums ever.
>>
>>61001684
I understand what you mean and why it could rub some people off the wrong way. The mix works perfectly for me though, I get shivers from songs like this one every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3DCjSoc1E
>>
>>61001640
It's funny Scaruffi wrote that because I recall Yorke saying somewhere they always made pop music. So not pretention there, unless he's lying.
>>
>>61000661
Pretty much this. Modern day DSOTM, catchy as fuck and ambiguously seems to connect with contemporary humans.
>>
BTW
http://www.amazon.it/OK-Computer-Radiohead/dp/B000002UJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1450002063&sr=1-1&keywords=ok+computer

>cd audio 5,99 E
>mp3 13,99 E
just wtf is wrong with capitalysm
>>
>>61001895
>just wtf is wrong with capitalysm
Everything, comrade. One day we will inflate those bourgeois Amazon fatcats like they have inflated mp3 prices.
Revolution SOON.
>>
>>61002021
we are anony/mu/
>>
>>61001340
jesus fucking christ what a completely abbhorent and shit opinion just fucking end your life
>>
>>61001340
>muse
Jesus christ, kill yourself.
>>
>>61000644
you have to be a sad teen/pre middle aged man/woman who is scared about the world and society and likes romanticising and demonising the city scene
>>
OKC is a landmark in what popular alt-rock could achieve, musically but importantly conceptually. It's so dense with meaning, message and a general atmosphere of hopelessness and stagnation in a capitalist society.
It's a truly beautiful listen.
>>
>>61001451
I love every single track, I think it's a 10/10.
I will admit, Lucky took a bit of time to grow on me. And Let Down too.
>>
>>61002115
Strange, I love let down. Really melodic and really like the vocal crescendo at the end.
>>
>>61002115
they are the most melodic tracks in the record... i don't understand bro.
anyway i see many different opinions on radiohead and their music. they receive both love and hate in large amount.
>>
>>61001340
>muse
>superior
>>
>>61001451
People hate the tourist? how, that track is fucking amazing
>>
>>61000661
All the non-single tracks are trash though.
>>
that's how you disagree with a statement
>>61001684

this is not
>>61002081
>>61002089
>>61004611
>>
>>61000644
Great music and prescient lyrics. It's almost 20 years old and yet feels more relevant than ever today, it describes the downsides of modern technology, consumer culture, isolation. It's like Thom new how the start of this century was going to be.
>>
>>61005230
*knew
>>
File: zogoecr1eqsuv8qztxuh.jpg (18 KB, 200x176) Image search: [Google]
zogoecr1eqsuv8qztxuh.jpg
18 KB, 200x176
>>61004810
objectively wrong
>>
dem 7/4 sections in paranoid android tho, still one of the best executions of an uneven time signature i've heard. how can you not groove?
>>
>>61000644
You just need to set your put to it
>>
>>61006043
or is it 7/8?
>>
It's both experimental and accessible. It's like the perfect album for an average person who is not a massive music nerd.
>>
>>61006104
it's 7/8 i think
7/4 is easier to pull-off and sounds less disjointed most times
>>
>>61004810
Alright, I can easily argue this. Radiohead is objectively better than muse because their music is more complex in terms of everything, they actually explore new sounds and develop themselves as a band. Muse brought nothing new to the table and has a very simple, repetitive sound. I would know, because I've listened to the majority of their music. Radiohead, on the other hand, provides a wide variety of sounds in one album, and the scope of their music is incredibly broad, from stuff that is easily accessible, to stuff that is bizarre and experimental.
so yeah,
>muse
>superior
>>
>>61008467
We are not comparing Muse and Radiohead as bands, we are just talking about two particular albums, maybe you just need to give them another listen. In terms of instrumentation Ok Computer is not more complex than OSS. Even though Radiohead is an obvious influence for Muse's work they have their own style, more oriented to the grandeur of an opera like singing and orchestrated sound, while Radiohead aims for a more intimate sound. At least regarding to the albums we are talking about. Don't be that much of a fanboy man, it's ok if you don't like it but that Muse=plen, Radiohead=patrician is pretentious and ignorant.
>>
>>61001895
You get a free MP3 copy with the CD too, what the fuck.
>>
>>61000644
well music is subjective, if you dont like it then you dont like it

that said, i think you'll grow into it sooner or later. its pretty awesome
>>
>>61009014
>music is subjective
hmmm
>>
>>61000644
Because hipster girls love it and hipster guys pretend to like it so they can get in bed with shallow fat chicks who wear grandma glasses and listen to anything Pitchfork rates 7 or higher without even bothering to read the review and see how shit the opinion they're going on is.

This is just a meme album and honestly you're better off just listening to Creep since at least then you'll be listening to the only good thing they've ever made.
>>
>>61009536
Oh excuse me I forgot the main reason people listen to it.

Fedoralords love it solely because Paranoid Android was in Ergo Proxy and liking both this album and Ergo Proxy makes them think they're really smart and deep.
>>
>>61009536
>>61009588
But I like it because it sounds nice
Gf doesn't even listen to radiohead
>>
memehead is trash anons
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.