[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiya /mu/, i've been reading up for the past couple months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
Hiya /mu/, i've been reading up for the past couple months while I save up for a turntable, and have finally ordered this little beast just in time for Christmas. I have one problem though-I'm worried the speakers I ordered are crappy- will post pic in reply

>tl;dr recommend a noob some good cheap speakers, vinyl general
>>
>>60981524
These are the speakers. Picked them up because of good price (around 100USD), plus they'll make some good surround sound for movie watching at my desk as well. Thoughts?
>>
Oh yeah- I'm also a huge pleb when it comes to classic "essential for vinyl" music. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to everything really.
>>
>>60981575
>"essential for vinyl" music

What the fuck does that even mean? Having it on vinyl doesn't magically make it sound like you're floating on clouds in heaven with 12 angels sucking you off that transcends your own tastes. Just buy stuff you like.
>>
>>60981622
>What the fuck does that even mean?

Sorry, I should have emphasised the /classic/... as in comfy classics that benefit from the feel of the format. idk, an elvis presley christmas album or some shit
>>
>>60981655
Vinyl doesn't sound any better and you aren't going to hear any music that suddenly becomes more impressive just from being in a new format. Just buy albums you like because vinyl exists purely to collect for despite what the hardcore enthusiasts might say.
>>
>>60981575
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life (original recordings or represses from the original recordings. Stay away from 4manwithbeards pressings of this album or anything for that matter)
>Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation (usually mastered from original recordings)
>Television - Marquee Moon (usually mastered from original recordings)
>Frank Sinatra - Sings For Only the Lonely (can get a original copy or a good repress for like $10 or less)
>Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
>Beach Boys - Love You

Just a few of my favorite vinyl albums.
>>
>>60981545

Not to crap on your purchase, but those are pretty bad.

Speakers are the most important of any audio setup.

I get these for the 100.00

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1449929502&sr=1-1&keywords=Andrew+Jones

And for amplification:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH130-Channel-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B006U1VH2S/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1449929594&sr=1-5&keywords=stereo+amp

You can further cut corners by buying a Lepai or SMSL, but they're piles of shit in my opinion.

And you can hook up your computer to that receiver as well, along with other components if need be.
>>
>>60981524
You fucked up OP. Get good speakers first, then get the turntable. No point in vinyl if you don't have quality sound.
>>
>>60981857
Better maybe not. It sounds completely different tho. Mastering a) in analog and b) onto vinyl is vastly different to digital mastering. Some records will suit that sound better than others. Listen to a flac of a vinyl rip and a cd digital remaster and tell me theres no difference.
>>
>>60981910
>mentions piles of shit and suggest a sony

you are already stretching what op said was a small budget, if anyone you know is spending 100 on that sony, suggest to them the emotiva mini x, by a long shot at the least it brings op into an actual audio company.
>>
>>60981983
you just have to ignore them dude, dont even feed into it.
>>
>>60982062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0A_ogBJve0 heres zeo's review
>>
>>60981575
This is fucking retarded but if you aren't going to lose the idea that "essential for vinyl" music exists, get music that was mixed and pressed with analog processes. There is no music that sounds better on vinyl. Some people claim that the music sounds "warmer" but I have not heard any album that sounds any different when I spin it or when I play it on my computer. The "vinyl makes music better" is just a meme.
>>
>>60981524
>>60981545
Yet again I'm reading about people dropping money on shit they have no clue about without doing any research first.

Amazing.

OP, forget that active speaker shit, you should get an amp to drive your speakers. Look for a used Onkyo, Denon, Marantz or Cambridge Audio on eBay.

Then get yourself some entry level speakers. If you really don't want to break the bank, consider a pair of Mordaunt Short M10s, Wharfedale Diamond 9s or Tannoy Mercury VRs. Again you'll be able to get them cheaper used on eBay.

Playing vinyl is an expensive hobby and it's just not worth the effort if you're not at least prepared to buy decent enough equipment to get the most out of the format.
>>
>>60982062

I also rec'd the Emotiva, but I was trying to stay below a 100.00.

From all accounts and the stated specs (90w at 9% THD over all freq), it's twice the performer the SMSL-50 is for only 30.00 more.

But yeah, the extra 50.00 for the Emotiva is worth it if OP is willing to stretch.
>>
>>60983437
>I also rec'd the Emotiva

*I came close to rec'd the Emotiva
>>
>>60983437
fair enough.
>>
>>60983466
see
>>60983472

I just assumed you meant to say something like
>i too
or
>i would also rec
>>
Pick up an amplifier and some proper speakers.

>>60982062
>Sony
>not an actual audio company
what
>>
>>60983514
sonys an insurance company, then an electronics company.

they have always outsourced their designs.

So yes, not an actual audio company.

My point was that for a few sheckles more someone could buy a much much nicer amp from a company that is specifically in the audio market.
>>
>>60981655
The real difference you'll find is from the emotional attachment. Things feel different when there's a ritual to playing them as opposed to just pressing play on spotify. For me, Sunbather gives that experience. I don't listen to it on other formats, but the record I have feels great to listen to.
>>
File: 1449615970369.png (8 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
1449615970369.png
8 KB, 261x195
If you just want something to listen to your vinyls on then you don't have to go hard. Just get a cheap crosley or any shit with speakers built in and you're set. If you plan to sample make sure you have a usb-c in the back. Or at least know what the fuck you're doing with a mixer track and reciever.

>Technics and all that shit are overpriced if all you're doing is just listening.
>If you want scratch and do all that crazy stuff you'll need a DJ cartridge and needle
>>
>>60984229

Also worth noting that I didn't read the thread before typing any of that. Just basic tips. That audio tehnica you got in the OP pic is pretty good, have fun nigga.

Also if you're going the speakers route, do you have a receiver?

I also reccomend looking up your favorite album and seeing if it's on vinyl. That's always a good way to kick off the collection.
>>
>>60982121
>being this retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (887 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
887 KB, 2592x1936
Thrift stores almost always have decent speakers for cheap, I would check that before getting new ones. These are my thrift store speakers.
>>
>>60984229
>vinyls
>>
>>60981524
Are you 12? Genuinely curious.
>>
>I saved up for a turntable
>I spent my leftover change on speakers

YOU GOT IT BACKWARDS GODDAMNIT

All the turntable does is spin the record and hold the cartridge. If it's in working condition and the tone arm has a counterweight, then you've got everything you need.

If your speakers are shit then everything is shit.
>>
>>60981951
>No point in vinyl if you don't have quality sound.
the sound quality isn't any better. I just like collecting
>>
>>60983437
>(90w at 9% THD over all freq)
That's basically the same as saying 1w @ inaudible distortion levels
>>
>>60983536
your statements are not based on fact.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.