[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't keep up with music much. I mainly listen to The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
I don't keep up with music much. I mainly listen to The Decemberists an Ben Folds; however, I want to branch out a bit. What are some bands that are similar to The Decemberists? I also listen to Johnny Flynn and Black Prairie.
>>
try listening to good music
>>
>>60976338
But I do. What do you consider good?
>>
trust me, there's plenty of it around
>>
>>60976317

Okkervil River, specifically The Stand Ins
The Acorn
The Antlers, specifically Uprooted

The Decembrists just had the worst active year of their career.
>>
>>60976891
>he Decembrists just had the worst active year of their career.
Did they? I like their newest album and ep. And thanks, I'll check those out.
>>
>>60976317

>I want to branch out a bit
>What are some bands that are similar to what I already listen to?

I don't think you understand how branching out works.
>>
>>60976950
Eh, I know what I like. I've always been kind of picky when it comes to music, that's why I only follow a few groups. I'd like to try new bands, but bands that are somewhat similar to what I already like.
>>
>>60976317
Try a band called Camera Obscura. They're pretty good and very similar to The Decemberists.
>>
Hey OP, I'm a big Decemberists fan as well.

A good place to start is Colin Meloy's side project Tarkio. It's kinda similar to The King Is Dead in that it's got a fairly prominent country/Americana influence to it.

In terms of other artists, Laura Marling has got kind of a similar folky vibe going for her. She's excellent, thought not as conceptually minded as The Decemberists. You'd probably dig Joanna Newsom as well, her lyrics are similarly dense and verbose, though she isn't folk per se.

Also (and I'm going out on a limb here), late career PJ Harvey might interest you. I'm talking her output from about 2007 on (White Chalk, Let England Shake).

>>60976950
Some people branch out more slowly than others. If OP finds enough stuff that is similar to The Decemberists/BF5 with a few key differences, then that counts as branching out IMO.
>>
>>60976917

The new album was a solid but safe entry. They might as well have named it their self-titled because it honestly is a perfect introduction to the band. However, every other album trumps it in ambition and skill.

The EP is cute. If you add it to the LP it's still their weakest showing. In my opinion, and my opinion is the trooth.

Shot in the dark here, but

>Because of the Times
>The Photo Album
>For Emma, Forever Ago
>50 Words for Snow

If you feel like branching out in a few similar directions.
>>
>>60977101
>A good place to start is Colin Meloy's side project Tarkio
Yeah, I liked it a lot. I've been listening to The Decemberists for around 5 or 6 years now. I think I've heard most of what Meloy has done.

I'll be sure to check those others out. From this thread, so far I like The Acorn and Camera Obscura.

>>60977136
>If you add it to the LP it's still their weakest showing.
I won't disagree with you, but I still enjoy it. I like that they tend to try new things with each album, even if they're not always as successful.
>>
>>60977101

For some reason PJ Harvey reminded me of Gorillaz' The Fall album. Check that out too op.

This guy knows the trooth though. Listen to him.
>>
>>60976317
Here are some of my recs:
>Angus and Julia Stone
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbRFxx1049I
>Midlake
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M_2tlr_UFY
>The Czars
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1r7LSDum_E
>Magnolia Electric Co.
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pStL2wkOoTk
>>
>>60977271
I forgot to mention
>King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9jRmaTqYgI
It's a little more on the psychedelic rock-ish side but oh well.
>>
>>60977271
>Angus and Julia Stone
I really like that.
>Midlake
This too.
>The Czars
Also this.
>Magnolia Electric Co.
And this.

>>60977136
>>60977101
>>60977095
>>60976891
Thanks for the recs guys, I think I'll have a lot of great stuff to listen to now.
>>
Listen to River City Extension. They're one of my favorite bands. They're similar indie folk stuff but they don't sound exactly the same. Their album from this year is the furthest from that so far though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z44vXO-If70
>>
>>60976317
Look up The Band's S/T if you're into americana
>>
File: thick_as_a_brick.jpg (59 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
thick_as_a_brick.jpg
59 KB, 400x392
>>60976317
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.