[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
jazz recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13
File: 11264.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2976) Image search: [Google]
11264.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2976
rec me some albums to listen to now
blue=loved
green=pretty good
yellow=meh
red=disliked

also general jazz thread and stuff
>>
try the rest of the albums on the chart maybe
or just listen to all the Blue Note albums
>>
Can you throw up the original image OP?
>>
File: 1391382860417.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2976) Image search: [Google]
1391382860417.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2976
>>60973775
>>
File: Intermodulation.jpg (22 KB, 300x295) Image search: [Google]
Intermodulation.jpg
22 KB, 300x295
>>
File: sun ra.jpg (217 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
sun ra.jpg
217 KB, 900x675
listen to Sun Ra - Sleeping Beauty

one of my all-time fave jazz albums
>>
>>60973917

Appreciated
>>
>>60973623
so you loved Bitches Brew and The Shape of Jazz to Come AND Point of Departure?? That's some quality taste

you need to try out Pharaoh Sanders - Karma AND my personal jazz album of all-time, Pharaoh Sanders - Village of the Pharaohs

also from Miles Davis you need to hear his first electric/fusion work on In a Silent Way, the quiety ambient counterpoint to Bitches Brew. Also, Live/Evil, Dark Magus, and even On the Corner are all worth a go

You may like some of Alice Coltrane's work. Universal Consciousness has some real cool free jazz shit next to synths and spiritual strings that have a hardcore middle eastern Islamic vibe
>>
>>60973623
what are the red ones mean, you hate them? Those red are some of my favourite jazz albums.
>>
>>60977410
do you regularly listen to noise or are you a masochist or what man

I can enjoy some Naked City, but by no means can i handle a full sitting. And similar with Machine Gun
>>
>>60977410
ayy i see, you hate them.
>>
>>60977421
I think they're fun and chaotic. Plus i like fast jazz.
>>
what's your current fav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_916snRF_g
>>
File: the-rub-and-spare-change[1].jpg (442 KB, 1488x1488) Image search: [Google]
the-rub-and-spare-change[1].jpg
442 KB, 1488x1488
>>60975036
>Sun Ra
>>60977367
>Pharaoh Sanders
>Miles Davis
>Alice Coltrane
>>60977673
>Mingus

Why is /mu/ entirely incapable of listening to jazz that is not mainstream "I don't listen to jazz" meme shit

I swear to fucking god
>>
>>60977988
get mad
>>
>>60978141
only when you post a
>Sun Ra changed my life
in this thread
>>
File: art.jpg (9 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
art.jpg
9 KB, 227x222
>>60978163
contribute or leave, dick.

don't be a thread killer
>>
>>60977988
>Davis
>Mingus
>"I don't listen to jazz" meme shit
Pleb detected.
>>
>>60978697
Yes, I'm a pleb for pointing out that Miles Davis and Charles Mingus are incredibly popular with plebs who don't listen to jazz.

>>60978665
I contributed as much as you did, retard. Ya'll pleb taste is the thread killer. If anyone in here knew anything about jazz there'd be more discussion than "Have you heard Bitches Brew? It reminded me of Alice Coltrane meets Charles Mingus"
>>
File: tomeka reid quartet.jpg (111 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tomeka reid quartet.jpg
111 KB, 500x500
Did anyone else catch this release? I mean it wasn't anything mind blowing but I am very much a sucker for cello and strings in jazz. Nice enough arrangements, mostly competent soloing.

>>60979702
>Miles Davis and Charles Mingus are incredibly popular with plebs who don't listen to jazz
also very popular with patricians who listen to a lot of jazz
just chill senpai, pleb jazz discussion beats no jazz discussion I'd say
>>
File: cf322cd-cover-1500-1024x1024[1].jpg (263 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
cf322cd-cover-1500-1024x1024[1].jpg
263 KB, 1024x1024
>>60979790
yes, these patricians who list Pharaoh Sanders albums as their all-time favorites MUST appreciate Miles' contributions to jazz -- why else would they namedrop him?

Also, I tend to avoid most things with Mary's name attached since her tone usually irritates the hell out of me.
>>
File: 51LFGwAfMZL._SL1200_[1].jpg (35 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
51LFGwAfMZL._SL1200_[1].jpg
35 KB, 1200x1200
>>60979790
and have you heard this recording? some of the best string-based improvisation I have ever heard, and a rhythm section that fucking nails it.
>>
File: claude bolling yo yo ma.jpg (89 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
claude bolling yo yo ma.jpg
89 KB, 500x500
>>60979952
yeah definitely, though I felt it was a bit too long. Certainly was more accessible (and an improvement) than the other Zorn Masada books I've explored.

>>60979948
well >>60977367 was telling the op, who just started in jazz, where to go next. He's certainly seems to be a poser but I wouldn't say he's wrong. OP likes bitches brew, maybe he'd like Alice Coltrane, OP likes Ornette Coleman and Andrew Hill, he'd probably like Pharoah Sanders. youre also probably right about halvorson, but I never really pay attention to guitar anyway
>>
>>60973623
That Basie comp is shit, get the complete Decca set instead.

The first album by Clifford Brown/Max Roach is just as good as Study in Brown. If you like Sidewinder try some other pop jazz like Takin' Off by Herbie Hancock and Wahoo by Duke Pearson.

Listen to Saxophone Colossus. If you're not sure the first time, give it another chance.

Listen to some stuff by Grachan Moncur III and Bobby Hutcherson. Their early Blue Note dates.

Also Conference of the Birds
>>
File: jtgextended.jpg (2 MB, 3000x4593) Image search: [Google]
jtgextended.jpg
2 MB, 3000x4593
>>60973623
Most of that chart is essential listening so i'd recommend continuing to work through it because there's still a few on there you'd love. You may want to alternate with it's sister chart too because there are some pretty grievous omissions on that (no Thelonious Monk).

I don't know if you have a different comp for people like Charlie Parker, Bud Powell and Dizzy but they really should have been top of your list for people to listen to in the first place. Some of them do have better comps for them and if you're going for older artists, it's worth your time researching a little to see what's on certain compilations before you get them.

Also, I'd recommend you (and everyone else ITT for that matter) try out the blindfold threads. They're a good way to find and discuss music but more than that, they give you an interesting listening perspective and make you a better and more attentive listener to music in general.
>>
This is my favourite jazz record by far. Can anyone rec me more like this? tight playing with a cool and fun atmosphere
>>
>>60973623

More coltrane ( blue train, my favorite things )
More mingus ( blues & roots )
Niechech is also pretty good
>>
>>60977988
>Mingus
>Davis
>Not among the most influential composers of their time, letting alone their great musical abilities

I understand your boredom but this is snobism

Contributing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Lc7OgIngE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7zfmiJaKVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLjjN2zovRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn7NwjbyZhs
>>
File: 1290735489_450.jpg (26 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1290735489_450.jpg
26 KB, 450x450
>>60973623
Erik Truffaz - Out of a Dream
>>
I know this might be a hard request, but:

Do you guys know of more albums like Chet Baker Sings? I think it's so unique, his other albums don't really have the same feeling for me, the ones where he sings at least. He mixes jazz with standards and melodic vocal jazz really well, the song But Not For Me being my favorite.

Do you guys have albums that are similar? His discog is huge and the ones where he actually sings don't really give me the same vibe, at least that I'm aware of.
>>
>>60983946
I'm not really sure which elements of it you think are unique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn_JFsPwUzE
might be of interest to you but I'm not really sure what exactly it is you're looking for. There are tonnes of vocal jazz albums that have very pretty melodies and rework standards. That's kind of the staple of the form.
>>
>>60984060
wow that's great, thanks.

I guess I just find two different kinds of vocal jazz. There's Chet Baker on CBS, that song you just posted, earliest Tom Waits, and but then I get vocal jazz that just is kind of abrasive. I don't know. Maybe I should just look harder.
>>
>>60984137
You should probably look into cool jazz in general then.
Most of it is like that: slow-mid tempo without a lot of the very busy bebop runs and with more of a focus on coherent melodic playing with a lot of importance placed on phrasing and tone.

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong's collab albums are also all pretty fantastic.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.