[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone actually understand what Michael Gira is singing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1gira.jpg (43 KB, 500x345) Image search: [Google]
1gira.jpg
43 KB, 500x345
Does anyone actually understand what Michael Gira is singing about? Most of the time I sure as hell don't, well at least from White Light and forward.
>>
>I NEED LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE
what did he mean by this?

Seriously though, I get it. I like his lyrics not because I get them but because somehow they fit and the words and sentences are imaginative and vivid enough for me. Most of the time I can't make sense of them but I like them.
>>
muscles
>>
OXYGEN
OXYGEN
BREATHEEEEE I CAN'T BREATHEEEEE
>>
swans' lyrics nowadays can be seen as the same as their music, kind of just a mantra or phrase that repeats until any meaning it might have had to begin with disappears

that said with songs like 'some things we do' I think the mundanity and repetition serves to emphasise how meaningless everything we do is - when he says 'we love' over and over again it feels like he's exposing love as something that doesn't really exist despite us tricking ourselves into feeling it

I dunno though who cares
>>
If it's early Swans, he's singing about rape, if it's latter, then he's singing about God
>>
>>60959798
Someone less privileged then you should use you.

>>60959816
Someone weaker then you should rape you.

>>60959833
You should be violated.

>>60959876
You should be raped.
>>
>>60959816
I get what you mean. I always figured it has with him doing so much acid in his early teens that made him express himself artistically in that cryptic way.

>>60959899
And the 90s?
>>
>>60959923
ebin
>>
>>60959925
I think Children of God was the turning point in their themes and lyrics. I dunno.
>>
>>60959876
I think you're spot on.
>>
>>60959899
In all eras of Swans he is singing about the same things, Gira writes songs out of the basest of human instincts, desires, and fears.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.