[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are the dead kennedys so overrated? Their sound is pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (76 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
76 KB, 1440x1080
Why are the dead kennedys so overrated? Their sound is pretty thin, their music is thrashy and spastic, not very hard hitting. There's so much punk that accomplishes a lot more stylistically. Yet the dead kennedys seem to have accomplished the most, in terms of status. Why is this? They seem mediocre.
>>
They were fun and dangerous. Punk isn't about musicianship. As for style, DK's made a whole West Coast sub-style of punk. Plus, certain songs don't pack the same punch nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHQqcky_Aw

Example, this song. With email, the internet, remote checking, and remote customer service...stealing someone's mail isn't as destructive as it used to be.

Holiday in Cambodia means little if you didn't know any Vietnam vets.

Also, everyone had Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables back then, not so much any other albums. We didn't have the whole discography available for free with a few clicks.
>>
>>60959837
Do the words thin and low impact mean nothing? Yes, punk does involve musicianship, it involves playing with passion. I am saying the dead kennedys play very weak punk, it's boring and if they're going to tack on some "meaningful" lyrics about vietnam or whatever, then why should I even fucking care? I hate when people equate "meaningful" lyrics with good. It's like, "oh my god, some people in vietnam died; FEEL SOMETHING!" No, fuck you.
>>
>>60959896
You're revolting
>>
>>60959896
>punk does involve musicianship
have you listened to literally any other genre?
>>
>>60960013
>>60959970
>>60959970
It depends on what you mean by musicianship. Musicians play music, that's musicianship. I didn't know musicianship all of a sudden means "technically proficient".
>>
>>60959896
>>60959539
Dead Kennedys have catchy riffs and the singer has a great voice.
Definitely not my favourite punk band or close to it but:
>how can anyone like what I don't like
is getting pretty old t bh
>>
>>60960091
You're the one toting the "you can't like what I dislike" rhetoric. Shove it up your ass.
>>
>>60959896

No, you fucking 12 yr old. The problem with the vets in the early 80's wasn't Vietnam, it was the fucking vets. They had PTSD before the diagnosis even existed. Reagan had just emptied out the insane asylums by cutting mental health care budgets, so many were bums.

The DK's played with layers of sarcasm. Kill the Poor means nothing to someone who doesn't understand the transformation from Carter to Reagan, the patron saint of all the crazy shit we see in politics today.

I'm perfectly fine with the DK's not mattering to today's bearded flannel faggots.

If you want a full sound, go listen to Dark Side of the Moon and have a sweet corporate audio immersion.

If you're too stupid to understand that punk devalued the excess "musicianship" of the prog rockers and disco dancers, in exchange for more emphasis on the message, then maybe you should go back to listening to Kanye unironically.
>>
>>60960162
>No, you fucking 12 yr old
Sorry bro, your whole pretext is based off of a shallow insult, I can tell the rest of what you're saying is mean spirited. You're one of those Young Turks who wants to see people they dislike suffer.
>>
>>60960162
>The DK's played with layers of sarcasm. Kill the Poor means nothing to someone who doesn't understand the transformation from Carter to Reagan, the patron saint of all the crazy shit we see in politics today.

t. another bunch of illiterates with guitars who have no clue how the US economy or Reaganomics worked
>>
>>60960196
>>you're too young to understand anything
>i can't and won't comprehend this
savage
>>
>>60960145
I certainly didn't
>Why are the dead kennedys so overrated?
Who fucking knows, thats your opinion fag. Are you really too stupid to get the appeal of them?
>>
punk is more about image, politics and message than about music. it's one of the most superficial genres of music.
>>
>>60960211

If you think supply-side adjustments ("Reaganomics") are/(is) a long term macroeconomic model, then you don't know shit about economics.

>>60960196

and, yes, faggot, you are a noob to life and knowledge doesn't just accumulate in your head all at once. In the case of you appreciating the DK's, it may never occur. That's ok. DK's didn't want morons for fans.
>>
If you don't understand that Punk is more about the content than the music itself you probably shouldn't be listening to the genre t b h. However, I don't think these questions shouldn't be asked. Certain Punk bands have a good deal of both (See Black Flag, Bad Brains, etc)
>>
File: 1448387536827.jpg (22 KB, 700x359) Image search: [Google]
1448387536827.jpg
22 KB, 700x359
>>60960162
Thank you, you are completely right

>>60960211
>muh "you only disagree because you don't get it" argument

Please tell me next about how the cultural marxists keep you from getting a girlfriend
>>
>>60960314
>If you think supply-side adjustments ("Reaganomics") are/(is) a long term macroeconomic model, then you don't know shit about economics.

Off the record, Kennedy was the first guy to propose SSE a good 20 years before Reagan.
>>
>>60959539

Generation Wuss by Bret Easton Ellis in Vanity Fair

http://www.vanityfair.fr/culture/livre/articles/generation-wuss-by-bret-easton-ellis/15837
>>
>>60960405
>>>/tumblr/
>>
holy fucking shit. it's your opinion their music is boring. i kinda think it's fun and unique af. also, lyrics are fucking genius. plus FBI raided Jello's home just cause of his lyrics. you can't get more pun then that.
>>
>>60959539
You sound like you listened to exactly one Dead Kennedys album. Their debut isn't as good as people say, bro.
>>
>>60960436

SSE is fine as an adjustment to recover from a recession. After the recovery, you raise the interest rates and tax rates again to feed the infrastructure. Otherwise, you have capital bubbles, finance-based (instead of production based) economics, and a crumbling infrastructure. SSE are not a long term economic model, just a funnel for the ultra rich to get cheap money and low taxes. With enough accumulated capital, they can control every boom and bust. They can go crying to the government they control if they lose they're money playing the game.

SSE is not a long term macroeconomic model. Never was. One of the biggest lies of the last 30 years.
>>
>>60960569
Get off of /mu/, Paul Krugman.
>>
>>60960569
Didn't GHW Bush shoot himself in the foot by raising taxes when he said he wouldn't?
>>
>>60960211
FWIW, the economy at that time was undergoing structural changes that started as early as the 1950s and were not any one president's fault.
>>
>>60960638
Please elaborate.
>>
>>60960472
Oh jeez, you're on to me, I'm the pink haired boogeyman on the Jewish payroll

Go suck trumps dessicated cock you massive faggot. Or just try not to be so angry that people here aren't as impressed with your reactionary tics as your church group is.
>>
>>60960659
It's complicated, but the deterioration of the Rust Belt was due to the gradual obsolescence of those 19th century industries and their replacement with high tech manufacturing. Remember that the 70s-80s was when the computer industry was a quickly rising force. A lot of light industry (textiles, footwear, children's toys, etc) was moving to Asia and Southern Europe as early as the 60s.

The new tech industries mostly sprung up in the Sun Belt with warm weather, right-to-work-laws, and lower taxes while the Northeast and Midwest, dominated by labor unions, corrupt Democrat political machines, and high taxes slowly rotted away.
>>
>>60960668
>hurr u just mad cus u cant get a gf lmao
>fuck off retard
>WHY U SO MAD BRO LOL
Fuck off retard
>>
>>60960668
Mad libtard is mad.
>>
>>60960699
And despite the liberal myth that Reagan destroyed the middle class, in fact the middle class expanded considerably during his administration and poverty decreased. Compare for example the Carter years when workforce participation was at its lowest level since the Depression.
>>
>>60959539
thin sounds like a very shitty comment on the production and mixing more than anything

you massive cunt dk for life
>>
>>60960737
Sme of this was also coincidence of demographics - the large baby boomer population were then entering their prime earning years.
>>
>>60960620
He may have shot himself in the foot when i came to dealing with voters ("Read my lips: No new taxes!"), but I can't help but wonder if it was ultimately good for America given how prosperous things became through the '90s.
>>
>>60960702
looks like someone just got btfo
>>
>>60960754
The economic boom of the late 90s mostly happened when Republicans forced Clinton to eliminate the capital gains tax. And also the Internet bubble.
>>
>>60960620

Politically, he shot himself in the foot, because of that ignorant quote. Economically, the US was facing "stagflation" if rates stayed the same.

I forgot to add in the previous explanation that supply-side also leaves the dollar overvalued, which kills production, trade balance, and exports jobs. It also leaves companies with excess capital, which many used to buy other companies and create today's competition-free oligopolies.

Pretty insidious shit.

Sorry for all the economics. I wasn't the millennial republican that tried to suggest "Reaganomics" was legit. Fucking zombie.
>>
>>60960757
I'm not even the guy you were originally replying to, but you sure did blow him the fuck out by claiming that he has no girlfriend.
Daily reminder that leftism is a mental illness.
>>
>>60959837
>Punk isn't about musicianship

In a thread about Dead Kennedys, one of the few hardcore acts that actually gave a thought to their music

>Example, this song. With email, the internet, remote checking, and remote customer service...stealing someone's mail isn't as destructive as it used to be

They wrote it because of the absurdity of something so seemingly harmless being a federal crime...

>Also, everyone had Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables back then, not so much any other albums

What the fuck... are you retarded, or underage?
>>
Let's ask Xgau about FFRV:

"I want there to be more punk rock, I do, I do. I want there to be more left-wing New Wave. But not from a Tiny Tiny impersonator who spent the first half of the 70s perfecting rock cabaret. And I get the distinct feeling, although I could be wrong, that Jello Biafra started listening to the Stooges in 1977. C-"
>>
>>60960916
>But not from a Tiny Tiny impersonator

Tiny Tim impersonator. My bad.
>>
>>60960856
>What the fuck... are you retarded, or underage?

Most people definitely did not own FFFRV, Rocket to Russia, or Damaged back then. Punk was a subculture that got you beaten up by AC/DC and Van Halen dickriding dudebros.
>>
Is American punk worth getting into. I have no real knowledge of much of the history of the American scene other than that harecore was/is big and >straight edge
>>
>>60960967
There was the original first wave of punk in the late 70s-early 80s (Ramones, Black Flag, and Dead Kennedys) and then it died out in the mid-80s. Nirvana really pretty much resurrected punk.
>>
>>60960856

>Also, everyone had Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables back then, not so much any other albums

>What the fuck... are you retarded, or underage?

I was there, faggot. A lot of the bands you take for granted as popular were underground for a long time. There were no "greatest of all time" or "-the decade" lists. Everyone was lucky to have a copy of FFFRV and maybe PSD.
>>
>>60960952
"Most people" is completely irrelevant. Record stores would have their albums. Fans of punk rock would actively buy those albums.
>>
>>60960916

Christgau also said ? and the Mysterions were better than the Stooges.

>Gets his information from a moron who describes an album in one or 2 sentences for other morons who just need a letter grade from him.
>>
>>60961001
>I was there

Sure you were. I guess I'll humor you. Perhaps you were too retarded to know you could order albums directly from record labels through the mail. But we all know you're just a teenager playing pretend on the internet. Pathetic, really.
>>
>>60961001
>I was there, faggot. A lot of the bands you take for granted as popular were underground for a long time. There were no "greatest of all time" or "-the decade" lists. Everyone was lucky to have a copy of FFFRV and maybe PSD.

Like I said, punk was a subculture and mainstream dudebro jocks were all into the big stadium rock like AC/DC back then.
>>
>>60960984
Jesus Christ...

Read some books, do more research. You're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>60961037
>?+M
>better than even Alice Cooper's 60s band
>>
jello's kinda annoying. For a punk singer he's got decent sense of pitch but it's the affectations he adds to his archetypal uppermiddleclasswhitesuburbanite voice that get on my nerves.
Eastbay straddles that line between intensity and slop with admirable abandon, but sometimes he really does go off the fucking rails.
>>
>>60960314
translation
>you don't like DONKEY KONG? YOU'RE A FAGGOT!!!
>>
>>60961058

Hey, millenial faggot, did you go to their website to order the albums? No?

Oh, you must have had up-to-date catalogs from every frikkin' label...and the money to buy them all without a preview.

All your friends must have had that same collection of record label catalogs and disposable parental income, too?

So, listen, young millennial retard. I was there. You definitely weren't. End of story.
>>
>>60961168
Kids now have much, much more diverse music taste than they did in 1981 when everyone listened to the same 30 or so artists.
>>
>>60960834
Kek, that wasn't even me bud. And yeah, I'm bantering, that's what you do on an Eritrean Implication Amalgamation. If I typed up serious arguments you would dismiss them anyway.

>people who disagree with me are just mentally ill
>>
>>60961228

I'm not arguing that. I was arguing with the suggestion that ordering music from labels using constantly updated mail order catalogs from all the independent labels with almost no previews and reviewers like fucking Christgau handing out a C- somehow resulted in every kid in the 80's having all the Dead Kennedys albums.

A retarded millennial fantasy.
>>
>>60961228
My dad was in high school 10 years before that (so early 70s) and he said it was true. Everyone listened to Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Grand Funk Railroad, Alice Cooper. You did not have the same diversity in music back then.
>>
>>60960145
hahahahahaha
you are both stupid and mad
>>
Punk Mom Embarrassed To Drop Off Juggalo Son at Concert

http://thehardtimes.net/2015/12/11/punk-mom-embarrassed-to-be-seen-dropping-son-off-at-concert/
>>
File: MI0000744793.jpg (37 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
MI0000744793.jpg
37 KB, 400x398
>>60959539
Jello is one of the best cynical, political lyricists that I know of, and he has been since Fresh Fruit. But the Dead Kennedys only started making good music with Plastic Surgery Disasters and and then they stopped making good music after Frankenchrist.

Pic related; their best album.
>>
>>60959539
DUDE CAPITALISM LMAO
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.