[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Music is a solved problem. Everything has been done by the late
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: graph.png (26 KB, 600x463) Image search: [Google]
graph.png
26 KB, 600x463
Music is a solved problem.
Everything has been done by the late 1980s.
Name one actual innovation after 1990.
>>
Oasis
>>
>>60956872
>Shannon Hamm
The Death Metal guitarist? what the fuck
>>
brostep
>>
Loveless
>>
>>60956872
No one has ever sounded like SOPHIE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fwWZD159k
>>
>>60956899
What did Oasis innovate?
>>
>>60956994
No one really used the pentatonic scale before they made it mainstream at least, dunno about anything else
>>
>>60956918
this
>>
>>60956994
they basically invented rock n roll
>>
>>60956994
made rock music pop and pop music rock, also great lyricism that fits the instrumentation
>>
>>60957094
>made rock music pop and pop music rock
>>
UK Garage
>>
>>60957113
bunch of cunts with stupid haircuts oasis shits on them senpai
>>
>>60957070
>No one really used the pentatonic scale before
Japanese Gagaku music has used the pentatonic scale since the 8th century
>>
>>60956908
>brostep
This to be quite honest. I don't want to imagine a world without sick drawps
>>
>>60957138
That's a bit different though isn't it
>>
>>60957175
Bringing it to western pop music maybe.
The fundamental technique however is not new.
I don't think there's much left to discover in music theory. All sorts of harmonics, scales and rhythm patterns have been tried and done. It's all just remixes and rehashes now.
>>
>>60957070
um are you serious?
>>
I don't know about compositional innovation, but music technology has seen lots of innovation since the 90s
>>
>>60957267
That's true however new music technology only yields the same paintings in new colors.
>>
>>60957250
The other guy explained it's been used in ancient times but as far as I know noel brought the scale and style to the modern day
>>
>>60957296
According to whom? Without even doing any research I know it's at least been a staple of music since the blues in the early 20th century, and excluding jazz, most styles of lead guitar have always been based on it, from Clapton, SVR, Hendrix and before. You could be pedantic and say it was often the blues scale, but the blues scale is just an extension of the pentatonic scale.
>>
Transformative sampling
New music formats
Huge innovations in the technology behind electronic and synthetic music
New music sharing methods
The ability for genres and movements to be formed on the internet across the world, not in any specific original place
Cheaper recording methods leads to more underground music and more experimentation in that music
Music videos being made for financial purposes are finally dying
>>
>>60957344
That's all just technology and social changes
There are no new compositional techniques
>>
>>60957335
Take voodoo child for example, I'm pretty sure the lead in that doesn't deviate from the pentatonic scale even once
>>
>>60956982
No one has ever wanted to sound like SOPHIE.
>>
>>60957356
>presented with new things in music
>"THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MUSIC!!"
fuck yourself cunt
>>
>>60957356
What new compositional techniques came about in the 80s then?
>>
>>60957356
Yeah, because compositionally, music is just math. In terms of the simple math that will be used when talking about harmonics and music theory, that's all been solved for over a hundred years.

Plus the seeds of transformative sampling have been around since musique concrete and Steve Reich tape loops but wasn't really explored until the early 90s and it's only been pushed to greater lengths more more as it's gone on
>>
>>60957335
I mean yeah sure, maybe they did, but I said modern day...
>>
>>60957358
more like pentaboring

oasis are actually good
>>
>>60957409
But that's what I'm saying, everyone has been using the pentatonic scale for at least a hundred years, so you can't single out Oasis and say they 'brought it to the modern day' when it was already being used by everyone. They did not do anything innovative with it that wasn't already being done.
>>
>>60957398
more synth in pop
>>
>>60957432
That's not a fundamentally new technique. It's painting the same image with slightly different colors.
>>
>>60957430
Give me an example of Oasis using the pentatonic scale in a way that wasn't being done by thousands of other artists at the same time
>>
>>60957441
So what are your criteria? You're basically ruling out timbre by saying that, so the only thing left is the western chromatic scale, and if that's the case, then there has been no innovation by your terms for thousands of years. And there actually are people who experiment out with the 12 tone scale of course, but to our ears it is nonsense because we're so accustomed to diatonic music.
>>
>>60957335
what are you on about m8

noel invented pentatonics
>>
>>60957356
Sorry, I didn't even realize how much you just moved the goalposts before I responded

>name one innovation after 1990
give numerous examples
>those are only social and technological innovations, not compositional

You never once said anything about composition and why the fuck does that matter? Is composition the only important aspect of music?
>>
>>60957479
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>60957441
You could go ahead and say the same thing about all music written after Wagner's Tristan und Isolde

But of course, I bet you're not too familiar with classical music are you?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.