[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Listening to some music in the car with my friend who's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 2
File: MPP.jpg (597 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
MPP.jpg
597 KB, 600x600
>Listening to some music in the car with my friend who's pretty plebby
>Put on Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes, figuring it's their most accessible and poppy song
>"This isn't bad, but... it's really creepy. It reminds me of Marilyn Manson. Or Nine Inch Nails"
I literally do not understand

Also I guess this can be a normie/pleb experiences thread
>>
At the bar, flobots start playing
I can ride my bike with no handlebars
>>
>at friends house
>its smash night
>201599008734_Pokemon_Stadium_Theme_[NighTnGal3 Remix](Johto Edition) comes on
>>
>>60954006
You think Summer Time Clothes is their most accessible song? pfff hahahaha do you even understand what accessible means, dipshit

I would have chosen my girls probably
>>
>>60954213
As someone who has years of experience being a pleb, I'd go with Taste on this one.
>>
>>60954239
Even more wrong, what the hell
>>
>be in high school
>friend and I are driving to lunch w/ rando from the class we were just in
>we put on Propaghandi
>rando says "this is cool! Reminds me of Green Day mixed with some Rise Against!"
>friend and I look at each other with a mixture of amusement and utter horror
>>
>>60954006
>puts on Anco
sounds like you're the pleb here, OP
>>
>>60954127
:D
>>
>>60954006
this album is honestly terrible

it's basic tier and pleb as fuck

if you enjoy this album you should rethink your taste in music
>>
>join a band
>need new guitarist
>bandmate lines one up
>looking to be heavily punk influenced
>'I guess I listen to some punk, I like Silverchair'

Don't start a band with someone fresh out of high school
>>
>>60954347
this
>>
>>60954213
>>60954239
>>60954257
WWIW?S is their most accessible song.

Avey's vocals are at the most conventional radio pop at that point and the structure is closer to a mainstream pop music.
>>
>>60954213
most accessible anco song is objectively grass
>>
>>60954434
Incorrect. Avey's falsetto and screaming keep it from being their most accessible.
>>
File: 1332966250780471.png (2 KB, 82x128) Image search: [Google]
1332966250780471.png
2 KB, 82x128
>drinking with some friends
>listen to Boc - everything you do is a balloon
>"wtf is this scary depressing shit"
>>
>>60954360
>>60954360
Is he a decent guitarist?

If he's good you can shape his taste and have a good influence on the kid. I mean if he sucks it's probably not worth the effort.
>>
>>60954501
he's kiiiiiiinda right
>>
>>60954360
well good thing talent is not necessary be a successful or good punk musician, especially for guitar
>>
>>60954213
How is it not? It has a very clearly defined verse-chorus structure, the lyrics are easy to understand (Meaning the words that are being sung AND what they mean), the hook is catchy and simple as fuck, and there aren't any super experimental production styles. It's a good song, but it's poppy as fuck
>>
>>60955081
Not him, and I don't disagree its one of their more poppy songs, but there are several elements that the mainstream pop listener would have difficulty accepting. The droning raga synth and heavy integration of samples makes it more off-putting than your average radio pop song.

They were overreacting and I think saying that it sounds like industrial rock is a huge stretch, but there are elements that would be unsettling to the most pedestrian of music listeners.
>>
>>60954263

I guess you're upset because he liked the music the wrong way?
>>
>>60954347
This kind of comments are why everyone thinks /mu/ fucking sucks, you sound like a fucking pretentious cunt.
>>
>>60955358
This kind of comments are why everyone thinks /mu/ fucking sucks, you sound like a fucking pretentious cunt.
>>
>road trip out west with pleb friends
>they are listening to general pleb shit
>"Hey anon, put something on"
>Slackeye Slim
>They ask for something different
>King Kahn & BBQ
>"Anon, what is this? You aren't allowed to pick any more songs
>they go back to Dashboard Confessional
>I die inside
>>
>>60955747
what did you expect would happen, what did you honestly expect
>>
>>60955747

They sang "Screeeeaaaaaming infidelities" at the top of their lungs. It was awful.
>>
>>60955747
>tfw I am the taste maker among all of my friends
>they are afraid to play music around me, for fear of being judged
>when they hear something I play for them they start listening to it
>they probably call me a snob and so forth behind my back

When I was much younger I used to like this position but now I just wish they would grow some backbone or whatever. I pass judgement a lot less than I used to, but back when I was 18 or so I really got off on being an avant-teen or what have you,
>>
>>60955848
>tfw my friends and I were all avant-teens and actively tried to outpatrician each other.

It makes adapting to normal people really difficult. I realized a few years ago I'm a pretty abrasive person to deal with.
>>
>>60954213
I've tried My Girls in the car once. It wasn't received well.

I gave up on trying to get friends into AnCo a long time ago.
>>
>>60956163
A very long time ago I had old friends I've known since middle school hang out at my house and I played Strawberry Jam. All except one were like holy shit this is some ridiculous shit man, the one that couldn't get into it was the guy who has been listening to Disturbed since he was fourteen.
>>
>>60956186
I wish I had friends like that. All but one of them listens to playlists of RHCP and Foo Fighters exclusively.
>>
>>60954239
I played Taste for my friends on while acid and they HATED hit. One of them got out of the car.

plebs I guess. Its still favorite.
>>
>>60956476
I haven't seen those guys in a long time, that was the last time I've seen them.

>>60957326
What a real drag man, its really underrated, but I guess you have to appreciate the subtleties of Taste, bud.

One of the best and funniest experiences I've had on acid was driving everyone out of the car except my friend while listening to Merzbow on acid. We're noise brothers now.
>>
>>60954418
I actually have had pretty good feedback from friends when playing WWIW?S personally. I second this
>>
>>60956163
I think its the whole "quirky-indie" vibe it puts off.
especially the >OOOOOHHHHHHHHH part.. A lot of other more mainstream indie songs have parts like that.
you have to wait for the right setting.

I showed my friend Doin' It right by Daft Punk Ft Panda Bear and he liked it so when he asked for album recs I gave him Person Pitch but I don't think he was ready for it.
>>
>>60954347
you literally just don't get it, and that's funny haha

stupid whore
>>
>>60957406
Don't think it would've worked, but you should've rec'd him Tomboy. Closer to the timeframe and closer to the vibe imo. Person Pitch is a lot hazier and more psychedelic pop than the crisper house-based sound.
>>
>>60957368
yeah animal collective can be a lot to take in I guess. I just had that song stuck in my head that night. Like it was echoing throughout my trip. That and also frightened. those songs just felt like what my mind was doing.

I don't know what my friends would do it I played Merzbow. The guy who got out of the car was the same person I know who said Aphex Twin is "literately noise". Not that he dislikes him.
>>
>>60957433
I would have but I only recently realized how good that album is so Ill give it another shot.
>>
>>60957486
I'm spoiled by my main circle of friends. I ended up scaring the shit out of someone with Whitehouse while on a different psychedelic. It was still pretty funny to have three people screaming WRIGGLE LIKE A FUCKING EEL while two of them are literally wriggling on the ground.

I'm a fucking terrible person to trip with.
>>
>>60957563
I can be really hard to trip with one of my friends because he is so damn sensitive to a lot of music. I think he just has had bad trips in the past that have involved weird music
>>
>>60957869
I upset people a lot because I prefer to trip to more abrasive and 'scary' shit, even thought that runs the gamut from Spirit They're Gone to Throbbing Gristle.
>>
>>60957934
I always want to get weird but it hard with my friends. We were listening to pink floyd last time and It just felt so boring and gaudy to me.
>>
>>60957962
>tfw no one is ever in the mood to drop acid and break shit while listening to Lightning Bolt

I feel you man. My friends like weird shit but they never want it to get intense. I live for that.
>>
>meet cool girl
>funny smart and hot
>hey show me a song you like and ill show you one
>turns out shes a complete plen and sends me imagine dragons
>is literally her favorite artist
>i go full autistic and send her noise rock or some such abrasive shit

I don't think this is going to work out
>>
>>60958001

I literally just got into this band and I have no one in my life to share my excitement with. Even my good friend who is really into underground black metal shit. Feels bad
>>
>>60958099
if there is one band that can make me instantly hate someone, it's imagine dragons

FUCK IMAGINE DRAGONS
>>
>>60958276

Shes completely over the fucking moon about them too. I don't want to be a shallow dick but...
>>
>>60954418
agreed
>>
>>60958001
>>60958001
That sounds fucking awesome new thing on the list of things I have to do some day.

>tfw I have friends who would do this
>>
>>60958321
Imagine Dragons and 21 Pilots are literally the worst bands to come out within the past 5 years. Their music is trash and their fans think those bands are the best for no reason other than having a faux-indie sound to them. If you like Imagine Dragons or 21 Pilots you are a moron.
>>
>>60958099
>>60958099
Damn bro you should have sent her some like entry level hipster shit, you probably could have got in that.

Although I totally get not being able to be around people with shitty taste, and Imagine Dragons is one of the most annoying acts in music.
>>
>have group of friends
>they all listen to my recs and like them overall
>they ask me for more usually
>girl in the group has horrible taste and doesn't like what I show her
>when we are together I usually go full Scaruffi on her favorite bands
>my friends just laugh
>I make it so that I exclude her from conversations
>whenever I find something cool or shocking I always tell her "I won't show it to you, it's too weird for you"
>she just smiles trying to fit in
>she is somehow into me

Nice family
>>
>>60958210
>this was literally high school for me. No one listens to interesting music, even the kids who listened to metal only ever went as far as entry level black or death.
>>
>>60957962
Which Floyd album? We used to take acid and listen to Floyd when I was in high school, it was usually pretty cool.
>>
>Every time me & my friend get high, he plays the same Tame Impala song. It drives me nuts
>>
>>60958669
lmao same bro except its a girl and also plays meme demarco
>>
>>60958774
>or wavves, everyone fucking loves wavves
>>
>>60958421
You sound exactly like the type of person i try not to be.
>>
>>60958620
Wish you were here. good album, Ive just heard it so many times and it wasnt doing anything for me. I think I was overthinking it at the time.

>>60958669
what song is it something off currents?
>>
>>60958941
>>60958669
lurk more
>>
>>60959071
"feels like it's only going backwards"

i can't even listen to lonerism anymore because of that song
>>
>>60958774
liking mac demarco is fine. its the fanboys/girls that think that he's a genius revolutionary that are fucks
>>
kill urself
>>
Strawberry Jam better
>>
>never put on music around people anymore
>they 99% of the time don't like it and it's not even the type of situation for them to be introduced to new music
>I'd be a cunt for doing some stupid shit such as putting Ash Ra Tempel during a party or some shit like that

you guys have to realize that people simply don't like listening to new music in social situations. music in these types of situations is meant to be a common ground, and you're asking to be ridiculed if you go against this.
>>
>Start dating this girl
>Favorite acts are Florence + the Machine, Lady Gaga, Adele, Cia, etc.
>Hey Anon, will you burn me some CDs to listen to in the car?
>Introduce her to AnCo, Neutral Milk Hotel, Fleet Foxes, various hip-hop artists, Philip Glass, Crystal Castles, and a bunch of other shit
>Totally in love and now asks me to introduce more music to her

I think I'm gonna marry this one, /mu/
>>
>>60959087

Of all the songs on that album he plays the worst one.
>>
>>60954418
this
>>
>>60958421
kek
>>
>>60960229
GET OUT NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>60955848
Hah, I'm sorta in a similar situation at the same age, 18. Whenever I ride with my friends in the car they all just automatically hand me the aux cable cause they know that I'll always have something good to play. Everyone in my group browses 4chan to some extent, 2 of my friends being /mu/tants themselves, but I'm known as the more heavy /mu/ user, so they're always cool with me playing more experimental stuff or whatnot.
>>
>>60955848
i keep trying to stop being judgemental about their music, but every time i do they come up with worse opinions ("the last two Muse albums are their only good ones"), and they always start with the same shit ("it's only music" "if i analysed music like you i wouldn't enjoy most of it"), and every time someone says something stupid about videogames they lose their minds.
>>
>>60955926
how patrician are we talking? was there even a hint of irony in it?
>>
>>60957326
>plebs
>for hating one of their worst studio recordings in recent years
>especially while on acid

What a shitty song for that occasion, of all the great AnCo songs. I'm not even sure I'd be ok with the good version of Taste while tripping.
>>
>tfw gf is a classical piano major
>has extremely elitist views on music
>can barely show her music that'll fit her "standards"
>>
>>60961795
classical faggots are the worst
>>
>>60961795
Maybe call them contemporary composers instead of bands?
>>
>>60954006
He's right you know.
>>
>>60954347
>rethink your taste

Who the fuck let /b/ in here?
>>
>Be me
>A couple of weeks ago
>Hanging out with a co-worker during some deadtime
>Had previously bonded over some old-school hip hop, Nas etc.
>Decide to push some limits and put on Death Grips
>He tells me to turn it off
>Mfw he starts recommending some other shit top put me on a path
>>
>>60961795
I'd recommend telling her not to discount the concepts behind the melodies. I've heard plenty of 'contemporary' music redone in the style of classical instrumentation, and there are plenty of ideas within the music that make it just as rich and intricate as any other classical music, you just have to be open to it. Or urge her to be.
>>
I only have one friend that is into most of what I like. Everyone else is into radio garbage or punk or... idk what to call it, the flavor-of-the-week-core that's going on right now.
>>
>>60962021
just because someone uses the textures of an orchestra or chamber ensemble to re-create simple music and your pleb ears hear "it's classical music now! brava!" doesn't mean that it's actually all that intricate.

a better response here is for the poster to either tell his girlfriend to stop trying to turn music into math or, if she's not a complete fucking idiot and is into the modern repertoire as well and has coherent views on music that aren't excessively trite and rote, have her teach him how to be patrish
>>
>>60954347
>it's basic tier and pleb as fuck

Try to think of an actual reason that isn't a buzzword why don't like it.
>>
>>60961950
ur friend is right
>>
>>60955848
>when they hear something I play for them they start listening to it

yeah kill yourself
>>
>>60962142
I am aware. I'm talking about the music that does have those intricacies in its original form, but it being expressed in a way to which she is more receptive may make it more clear to her.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.