[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where the fuck do I go for more music? I've exhaustively
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3
File: 1411164513702.png (39 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1411164513702.png
39 KB, 200x200
Where the fuck do I go for more music? I've exhaustively searched rym, I've exhaustively searched related artists on last.fm, I dig into large discographies of bands, like sonic youth, death in june, or swans, I download collages on what.cd (user made or /mu/ essentials), I look at rym lists exhaustively. I keep my mind opened to whatever even seems slightly interesting, I'll try it. I have been this way for fucking years, the amount of music I listen to and the amount of new discoveries I made has dropped substantially, which is displayed by my last.fm record. That's okay, because it means that I've been enjoying all the albums I've found over the years, but also I feel I'm missing the excitement of discovering new awesome albums. It feels like it's become harder to find new music.
>>
>>60938816
post last.fm
>>
find music you like
go to discogs
search up music
search the record labels that they were signed to
>>
>>60938828
http://www.last.fm/user/metaldiscussor
>>
>>60938829
I'll have to try this. It's going to be difficult to decide where to start.
>>
>>60938816
How many shows do you go to?
>>
>>60938957
i implore you OP to go to local shows, gain an understanding of your local scene and maybe give back a little. This all eventually feeds into the greater ecosystem that is popular music.
>>
>>60938832
you're the guy who knows all good depressing music

i think at this point u could just start making ur own? if what u want is not available
>>
>>60938832
Continue with Jandek.
>>
also maybe you should get out from your comfort zone. listen to something completely new to you genrewise. i'm sure you have but do it again properly
>>
oh yeah and try non english speaking music
>>
>>60939051
that would be really sad if all you had left to listen to was your own music
>>
>>60939122
lol yeah maybe
>>
>>60939082
Hmm, true. I'm not gonna get into like, bossa nova or something, or that electronic club music some people seem enamored with, which seems to be in it's own music sphere of it's own. I'd like to find more music that isn't so fucking sad, like maybe new wave? I dunno, I wanna find some music that makes me feel good, maybe stuff that's danceable but not background music.
>>
>>60939182
Maybe check out funk music
I find certain hip hop to be pretty dancable
>>
>>60939277
Oh god, hip hop is so depressing. I dunno what else there is to funk besides funkadelic and parliament. The dancy music I have really been enjoying in stride is vocaloid.
>>
>>60939182
get into britpop or madchester
>>
>>60939327
>hip hop is so depressing

Do you even Beastie boys?
>>
>>60939361
this and i find late 80s early 90s hiphop hits good even though i have similar taste with op
>>
>>60939352
I know brit pop a little. Blur, suade, pulp. I thought it was a bit unimpressive. I also was pissed off about that thing, where shoegaze got overshadowed by brit pop and the music press at the time gave souvlaki terrible reviews because it wasn't as trendy as blur and suade.
>>
>>60939182
>music that makes me feel good
oasis, zeppelin, t rex
>>
>>60939428
yeah it was ridiculous but so is the music press in general

try supergrass

or funk rock/metal like primus/faith no more etc. a bit tongue in cheek but catchy as fuck and can be serious too.
>>
>>60939388
Yeah I'm not that big into contemporary hip hop but I love shit like de la soul, Beastie boys, public enemy
>>
or try twee pop stuff like belle & sebastian
>>
>>60939443
yeah dad rock might work too. i see op is not big into it. me neither nothing better than some t rex, david bowie or ccr it aint me for lifting up mood
>>
>>60938816
listen to bull of heavens entire discography
>>
>>60939526
me neither *but

do you use any streaming service for music? i find it helps me find new stuff. of course obscure stuff needs to be downloaded or bought but still
>>
>last.fm
Oh, so you listen to music to build a narcissistic social media profile? I guess I won't be helping you, then, since you obviously don't actually care about music.
>>
>>60939542
i use last.fm to fulfill my autistic need for creating statistics, don't even have shoutbox enabled, so don't speak for all last.fm users
>>
>>60939578
Oh, okay. Well, I don't actually have any advice to give, I was just in the market for some vitriol.
>>
Get into classical
>>
>>60938816
Have you got into metal or classical yet
>>
You could try venturing outside of pop music and listen to some art or folk music.
>>
>>60938816
try bandcamp and soundcould
>>
>>60938829
yeah this or listen to what your favorite musicians listen to
>>
>>60939898
wtf is art music?
>>
>>60940004
And then there's this guy. Every single time, without fail.
>>
>>60940021
please
>>
File: google-logo.jpg (76 KB, 1604x802) Image search: [Google]
google-logo.jpg
76 KB, 1604x802
>>60940122
>>
>last.fm similar artists
>search labels that your fav bands are on
>search genres and specific scenes
>search for your favourite musicians interviews and see if they mention a band
>ask /mu/ for a band that sounds like something, there might be a lot of shitposting but it's pretty easy to get good recs
>>
hi ebay boo boo
no one has to like everything so just enjoy the shit u already know and be done with it
>>60940138
ugh i hate the new google logo
sickening
>>
File: First-google-logo.gif (3 KB, 543x74) Image search: [Google]
First-google-logo.gif
3 KB, 543x74
>>60940199
Yeah fuck keeping up with modern design right.
>>
>>60938816
Explore some other country music
>>
http://www.last.fm/user/ABlackTemplar

someone recommend me more music
honestly I feel like I know what I should listen to but I'd like to hear some opinions on where to go next
I know my artist library count is low as shit
>>
>>60940386
See >>60939898
>>
>>60938816
ask for your wife's boyfriend what he listens to. <]:^)
>>
>>60940395
Okay, sure, what bands would you recommend from those genres?
>>
>>60940422
"bands" lol

Go here: >>60940094
Download a few random albums from my online shared library.
>>
>>60940454
Okay.
>>
>>60940454
jesus christ why the fuck are you so obnoxious
this whole thread has been you acting like youre better than everyone else
fuck back off to reddit
>>
>>60940454
>"bands" lol

>has a band in the OP
>>
>>60940480
Welcome to /mu/, newfriend.
>>
>>60940497
"Bands" are not what's important in folk music.
>>
>>60940422
>bands
how retarded are you?
popular music listeners are idiots
>>
>>60940535
lol what color is your fedora
>>
>>60940501
this has nothing to do with someone being new at all
nice fallacy tho namefag
>>
>>60940535
>hurr he listens to popular music so he's retarded
t. contrarian faggot
>>
>>60940605
Yes, it does. It really, really does.
>>
>>60940574
>people who know more about music than me are fedoras and try hards
fuck off. whats with all you fags on a music forum that take criticism of their ignorance to mean the criticizer is a fedora rather than realizing that maybe they should take the criticism as an invitation to educate themself.
>>
>>60940535
I'm sorry you feel that way, I just wanted to make sure if he had bands or something specific instead of "here's my thread, go download something from my shared uploads." I guess I should've said "Anything specific you have in mind?" instead of asking about bands.
>>
>>60940222
man ur anus must be hella tight today gallons of spit needed
>>60940535
see >>60940222
"im afraid" theyre everywhere
>>
>>60940630
no, it really, really doesn't. im not going to bother arguing with a retarded namefag who uses "lol ur new" as an excuse of acting like hot shit.
>>
>>60940670
It has everything to do with you being new, and it really shows that you are. There's no use trying to hide it.
>>
>>60940686
ill bite.

i could say "ive been here for [x amount] of years" and you would denounce it. there is no use. your argument is fallacious.
>>
>>60940711
You could say you've been here for any amount of years, but your behaviour just disproves it. This is not what a fallacious argument is, were it correct. It would simply be an incorrect argument. But it isn't, because you're new and it's very obvious to anyone who has been here for more than a few months.
>>
>complains that everyone is just listens to non modern music
>someone shows an interest
>hahah fuck off you pleb

>muh secret club
>>
Try Bamnan & Slivercork, Dark Arc, Deep Cuts , Angle, or anything Silvio Rodriguez made.
>>
>>60940722
explain how my behavior disproves it. are you implying that "oh, he called me out for acting like we always do on here, that must mean he's normal hehe" means im new?
>>
>>60940642
say artists instead to avoid having /mu/ sperg out on you.
>>
>>60940783
dude i'm not him but your lack of self-awareness is fucking hysterical, holy shit just stop fucking talking.
>>
>>60940783
>are you implying that "oh, he called me out for acting like we always do on here, that must mean he's normal hehe" means im new?
Partly, but mostly because you'd know who I am by now if you weren't new as fuck :^)
>>
>>60940820
hi hampus
>>
>>60940824
>:^)

and thats how i know you're new
later
>>
>>60940849
Oh my, this is such a hilariously ironic post.
>>
>>60940825
lol nah you wish i was him, he's not the only one who sees how stupid you are. go back to reddit yourself, faggot.
>>
>>60938816

Why not just try soulseek? Go to random rooms, search through libraries of other people and download stuff.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.