[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will shoegaze ever click with me if I'm not really into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: mbv.jpg (114 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
mbv.jpg
114 KB, 600x600
Will shoegaze ever click with me if I'm not really into this?
It's not that it's bad, just that every time I revisit it I feel like falling asleep. One of my friends loves shoegaze and wants me to like it, I told him we'd get high and listen to it but I don't know. I wanna say it's just not my thing but everyone talks it up.
>>
That's the greatest album ever made, why listen to music if you don't like it
>>
You can't force an album to click, it will just happen. Also a tip for Loveless - there's a lot going on and its better appreciated at louder volumes
>>
>>60932791
It's really ok if you don't like it. Having your own tastes and opinions is important
>>
>>60932791
Try Medicine -Shot Forth Self Living

It sounds like you need some shoegaze that's more in-your-face.
>>
>>60932791
I'm listening to it right now because of /mu
>>
>>60932791
it's quintessential accessible yet plain entry level stuff, not all shoegaze is like that album
>>
File: thursday300.jpg (41 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
thursday300.jpg
41 KB, 300x300
>>60932791
>>60932810
>>60932828
>>60932936
It doesn't have the best shoegaze song of all time on it, though. The best shoegaze single is pic related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MYPWBU7fTY
>>
The best and worst thing about this album is that it is far and away the best shoegaze.
Once you've heard it, everything else in the genre feels kind of underwhelming.
>>
>>60932791
Try getting into Souvlaki and Nowhere. After you've heard them like 20 times, come back to Loveless. You'll thank me later.
>>
I almost never listen to shoegaze. It's not horrible, but I just never find myself in the mood to listen to it over everything else. The closest I get is listening to the three Yuck songs that are any good, and those are more "shoegaze-influenced". It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
>>
>>60932981
You meant to link this famito

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYx60pkXOQA
>>
>>60933128
>>60932981
Settle it here bruvs
http://strawpoll.me/6225954
>>
Listen to it loud.

Like, really fucking loud.
>>
>>60932791
I wasn't a huge fan of loveless until I listened to souvlaki, and then I loved loveless after coming back to it. Souvlaki is still better imo
>>
>>60933100
It's not the greatest logic, but it's a logic. Plus, it feels like heroin. Why you so jaded dude? Meet some girl, listen to Slowdive, and follow each other from rooftop to rooftop of each other's fantasies. maybe one or two will come true :).
>>
I was holding off on listening to Loveless again until me and my friend got mushrooms but then my dealer found religion and wouldn't pull through for me. Still waiting for mushrooms. I can't take it. I need that glorious noise on the total joy frequency of mushrooms.
>>
>>60933204
I don't know why you think I'm jaded, based on what I said up there. I respect why people like shoegaze, and by all accounts it should be right up my alley based on the other music I like, but it just doesn't click for me, and that's totally cool if it doesn't click with OP either.

Plus, heroin will always be associated with Cudi's Mojo So Dope in my mind, since I listened to it on repeat the first (and basically last) time I ever did H. Dark days.
>>
>>60932936
I know and have my own tastes and what not, it's just..... I feel like I WANT to like this. I really enjoy the first track. And then after that it's like it becomes a sort of blur.

Just wondering if it's something that takes a few listens for people or if most people just love it at first listen.
>>
>>60933340
This part seemed jaded:
>It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

But yeah I agree, there's nothing wrong with liking what you like. We want music to be much more objective that it can ever dream of being, especially in the era of immediate access to all music. The idea that we can all share this common language is beautiful, but falls apart at the fringes.
>>
>>60933433
Fair enough. I was just shitquoting O Brother Where Art Thou, though. We basically agree on everything, so I'll just say thanks for the conversation.
>>
It's like dream pop that's not (exclusively) for assexuals. What's not to like?
>>
>>60933051
>>60933199
I'd agree with these two, OP. Give Souvlaki, and Nowhere a few listens, then if you like those listen to some other stuff in the genre (Pinkshinyultrablast has some pretty good contemporary stuff) then come back and give Loveless another try. This path worked well for me.
>>
>>60932810
>>60932810
>>60932810
>>60932810
I'm convinced that anyone who doesn't like Loveless has no soul and is pretty much dead inside.
>>
I'd recommend other shit for you to listen to but you probably won't like it.
But then again you're probably a NEET and have lots of time so listen to some of these
Slowdive
Asobi Seksu
Bailter Space
LSD and the Search for God
The WU Tang Klan
Alison's Halo
Astrobrite
The Ecstasy of st. Theresa
etc
>>
>>60933051
>putting britpop in the same list as slowdive
fucking plebs I swear m8
>>
>>60933675
>dream pop is for asexuals

Dream pop is much more intimate and sexual than shoegaze.
>>
>>60933876
Yeah but it's gay xD
>>
>>60932791
Yes. Try slowdive and ride.
Ride if you like britpop and slowdive if you like beach house. But slowdive is literally the best thing ever
>>
>>60933908
again with ride
of all the things that you could recommend
>>
>>60933767
which describes most of this board. I don't get it, then why is it so universally loved here?
>>
>>60933876
Lets find a common ground for what you consider dream pop.
I associate it with everything between the Sundays & Cranberries and Cocteau Twins & Mazzy. Or basically Mdma.
Achingly beautiful, the aural equivalent of falling in love. But not remotely related to feelings of sexuality.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.