[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give a legitimate downside to this record that is directly in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: To-Pimp-a-Butterfly.jpg (134 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
To-Pimp-a-Butterfly.jpg
134 KB, 640x640
Give a legitimate downside to this record that is directly in the music (IE not political bullshit).
>>
>>60926187
It's derivative of African-American genres of music and doesn't innovate within them. It's not sonically engaging enough, but that's fine because it's a hip hop album and you're supposed to pay attention to the lyrics first and foremost.
>>
>>60926403
L'Orfeo was derivative of white music.
Does that invalidate it?
>>
File: Ufastntitled.png (33 KB, 113x108) Image search: [Google]
Ufastntitled.png
33 KB, 113x108
>>60926187
it ends :(
>>
>>60926403
I should also mention that the fact that it's derivative of those genres of music is also a strength to the album, because the theme of the album seems to be black history, paradoxically making it suitable in a sort of non-musical way, despite the fact that it's a musical component.
>>
The only thing I disliked about the album was the repetition, using the same phrases, etc. You know what I'm saying.
>>
kendrick sounds like a chainsmoking cat trying to cough up a hairball
>>
>>60926187
The poem at the end after the first few listens gets kinda grating.
Momma is not bad, just musically meh, although still a comfy song, but the ending is out of place.
FUCK HOOD POLITICS, that song is just boring af.
>>
>>60926187

- repetition and excessiviness of soul samples
- annoying and unconfortable Lil' wayne-like voice on certain songs
- try hard transitions (two/three songs in one)
- direct copying / robbing other artists ideas
- clichê popcaan dude / jamaican shit copy from yeezus i
"i'm in it"
- clichê jay-z shit "black on black, black everything" verses
- randomly spanish female dialogues (another clichê on hip hop)
- randomly putting jazz on the track to make it sounds more cool and artsy
- 7.6/10 album
- polical content over musical quality
>>
>>60926520
that's a musical technique though, don't you know what a motif/leitmotif is?
>>60926601
>- try hard transitions (two/three songs in one)
is this a joke
>- direct copying / robbing other artists ideas

is this a joke
>- polical content over musical quality

b8/10
>>
>>60926443
No, and I'm not saying that this album has been invalidated either. I haven't heard L'Orfeo, and I don't have a strong grasp on the history of opera, but based on what I just read, L'Orfeo was the culmination of the ideas in the experimental opera before it. Perhaps you could argue that the pop jazz and pop funk/soul stuff on this album is a culmination of all the black music before it, but I personally see it as more of a tribute/collage to the other musics before it, rather than a synthesis of a centuries worth of music into it's most complete form. Hip hop is kind of like the opera of black music though, so thanks for helping me realize that.
>>
>>60926740
>Hip hop is kind of like the opera of black music though, so thanks for helping me realize that.
In a sense yeah
I feel like people don't realize how populist (at least, relative to today) classical music used to be.
>>
>>60926601
Wrote more about this album here:

"You could easily list many albums did the same things that many would say that Pimp To The Butterfly innovated. Everything you can find on this album is relative to repeated excessiveness and cliches within a period of time where USA lives on a racial tension, watered by the tweetes of the #BlackLivesMatter movement, so it’s appealing which is acclaimed for the most part. The most interesting part of the album is the breaking of the choruses full of soul and funk gives when the experts and fast verses of Kendrick stop."

http://tripfork.tumblr.com/post/129396288595/kendrick-lamar-to-pimp-a-butterfly
>>
>>60926922
Go on then, list the albums.
Bear in mind: you can do the same for Kid A, but that doesn't mean Kid A still wasn't an inspired synthesis of them all together in one place.
>>
>>60926740
>Hip hop is kind of like the opera of black music though
THICK WOMEN
>>
>>60926961
>implying pre-Romantic opera wasn't just as scandalous for the time
>>
that 2pac skit at the end

lmao love everything else, but what the fuck was he thinking
>>
I honestly think that Kendrick over-simplifies the political issues in his lyrics and comes off as unintelligent, and at times a little cheesy. I also personally am not a fan of the over the top jazz influenced instrumentals (like in for free) but I don't see it as a flaw in the album.
>>
>>60927180
I said no political shit faggot
>>
>>60927021
THIS

corny as fuck and makes me second guess the entire album
>>
>>60927194
I have no problems with the fact that his subject is political and I don't agree or disagree with him -- I have a problem with his lyrics which is a pretty important part of a rap album.
>>
>>60926601
>>
>>60927021
Music, as a tradition, is literally a conversation with all the people who came before you, in your own tradition and nearby ones influenced by them, and that they themselves were influenced by. People who you idolize and loved when you were growing up become, in some sense, your contemporaries, when you step into that river and add what you have to say to it.
>>
>>60927251
lyrics aren't everything in rap tho, the delivery and flow of a rhyme is just as important as what's being said
>>
>>60927314
impressive display of bs skills anon, I'm proud.
>>
File: rejected-4-300.jpg (26 KB, 435x300) Image search: [Google]
rejected-4-300.jpg
26 KB, 435x300
>>60926458

this.

Also, if I had to find a gripe, (and I'd really have to look), it would be the 2pac interview.A bit presumptuous to chop up an obscure recording of a dead man speaking his mind and edit it to make it sound like he's kicking it with you. But at the same time, Pac would probably endorse Kendrick, so IDK. Other then that it's beautiful. AOTY for me.
>>
>>60927385
pretty much
>>
>>60927385
>>60927398
>>>60927385

Kill yourself
>>
>>60927417
>>60927417
>>>60927417

After you
>>
>>60927417
why so violent, white friend?
>>
I remember you was conflicted

Only real downside, after listening to the album over and over the poem part gets kind of stale.
>>
File: laugh at u.png (100 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
laugh at u.png
100 KB, 375x375
>>60927417
>>
>>60926187
Poorly produced
Kendrick sounds like he's 15
Meme album
>l-l-l-look guys i-i can b cool and make jazz now xdDDDDD

2/10 album stop making threads about this garbage.
>>
>>60926187
Mostly bad or no hooks, lots of annoying filler for no reason
>>
THIS
>>
>>60926187
He should have used more FlyLo production to be honest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4amEWUw6t4

Wonder if he's gonna take his Cap Murphy beats back

How long are these threads going to be created?

Also its pretentious as fuck, not as deep as it wants to be, not as lyrical as it could have been, not as probing as the creators thought it was.

TL;DR shallow, boring, not even that experimental
>>
>>60929354
>also a fuckload of corny shit going on

>implying I'm going to play this anywhere around other people while he screams BOO BOO every two seconds and spews his cliches
>>
>>60928064
Is this a shitpost?
>>60928245
What's the filler?
>>60929354
I thought there was a lot of depth to the lyricism. Maybe you're hearing what you want to hear. Most people seem to disagree with you entirely.
>>
>>60926187
Kendrick's flow is wack af
>>
Coming from someone that loves it, it's a little too lengthy. If he cut "You Ain't Gotta Lie" out, it'd be even better.
>>
You Aint Gotta Lie is forgettable as shit
>>
>>60926944
>list hip hop albums with massive jazz/soul influences/samples

There are multiple producers who've made their careers on these things, from prem to pete to J ect.
>>
>>60927354
It's still important though
>>
>>60926187
There are hardly any instrumentals that catch my attention. Plus How Much a Dollar Cost just kind of sounds like a budget Pyramid Song. Still a solid album though 6/10 Imo.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.