[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is his solo stuff worth listening to?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: panda_bear.jpg (232 KB, 940x703) Image search: [Google]
panda_bear.jpg
232 KB, 940x703
or should I stick to AnCo?
>>
His solo work is better than anco tbqhimo
>>
Person Pitch is GOAT
>>
>>60924347
person pitch is miles ahead of any AnCo album
>>
Person Pitch is a masterpiece which is probably better than 2/3rds of AnCo's works (bear in mind I like all of anco's music).
Tomboy and Young Prayer are decent
PBVSTGR is polarising, but it's good.
His s/t is quite odd and not representative of ANY of his other music.

tl;dr LISTEN TO PERSON PITCH
>>
If you like most of AnCo's stuff you're probably going to enjoy Person Pitch a lot more.
>>
>>60924373

i like panda but that a pleb as fuck opinion

person pitch is the only one I would even remotely budge on for that
>>
person pitch is okay compared to AnCo material. idk it's a little too droney
>>
>>60924409
I've always thought Tomboy was better than decent, only two or three songs are "eh."
>>
Person Pitch is mandatory
>>
>>60924492
That's what makes it so good tho. If anything that drone factor is what AnCos been missing for the past 10 years
>>
Person Pitch is essential
>>
I prefer Panda to Anco by a long shot.
>>
>>60924347
I would say overall everything since Person Pitch is better than AnCo's material.

He's by far my favorite music artist. A lot of people find some of his material repetitive but I've never had a problem with that stuff and his lyrics relate to me very well.
>>
>>60924474
Person pitch is his plebbiest work so yeah of course you'd agree
>>
>>60924506
Decent is a positive thing to call something
>>
File: 182347239650.png (2 MB, 1896x1032) Image search: [Google]
182347239650.png
2 MB, 1896x1032
>mfw pandafags

Why? Avey is the superior anco.
>>
>>60924653
God, you're in every AnCo related thread repeating this same shit. Why are you so upset that someone has a different opinion?
>>
>>60924347
Person Pitch is amazing
The singles + tropic of cancer from PBVGR are amazing the rest is meh
>>
s/t is a really fun, comfy album
We bulit a robot is my jam
>>
>>60924653
if you want to be taken seriously, don't post a picture of some pink-haired anime slut
>>
>>60924669

actually i rarely post here, so you got the wrong guy

i just like to post inflammatory posts for (You)'s

desu avey is my favey, but they're all great
>>
>>60924653
Provide avey's best album and why it's better
>>
>>60924669
This is /mu/, being upset by opinions is what we do
>>
File: ;).png (193 KB, 376x346) Image search: [Google]
;).png
193 KB, 376x346
>>60924702

i don't want to be taken seriously today

>>60924714

Down There, because it is ;)
>>
>>60924737
Down There is indeed excellent, but it's not better than PP, Tomboy, or PBVSGR
>>
File: youngprayer.jpg (88 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
youngprayer.jpg
88 KB, 319x319
>>60924347
Young Prayer and Person Pitch are both great. Young Prayer is very stripped down, very much like Sung Tongs without the harmonies. I find it makes a great companion piece with Down There, a great contrast of both of the individuals at their most unpolished and personal. Person Pitch is just a totally solid album, sort of like an even more Beach Boysian MPP.

Tomboy has it's moments. Definitely a significant decline in quality songwriting.

Grim Reaper is the worst release of all albums associated with Animal Collective. The production is there, but he throws songwriting out the window, and instead writes one pretty bland verse and copy/pastes it two more times, giving the songs no sense of momentum, and rendering a good 60% of the album as a whole totally redundant. It also had mostly terrible lyricism, and the ideas aren't as interesting or bold or alive as on any other AnCo release.

I was super excited for the new album when Floridada hit, but when I heard the Amazon samples it sort of diminished, because half of the songs seem to be Panda songs, and most of them sounded like they belonged on Grim Reaper. I hope the broader context of the songs as a whole end up being better, but I'm much more skeptical now. Floridada is still great though, and a lot of the Avey songs sounded awesome.
>>
File: Le Tiny Piano Man.png (139 KB, 250x227) Image search: [Google]
Le Tiny Piano Man.png
139 KB, 250x227
>>60924766

Lel, its better than all three bruh.

PP was pretty good but tomboy and pbvsgr were both pretty meh tier imo

pro-tip: we won't come to an agreement
>>
>>60924773
I understand the copy/paste redundancy criticism with PBVSGR, but I still have yet to understand how his lyrics were less than decent on that album.

Tropic of Cancer has one of the most creative concepts in a song, and most of the other tracks were relatively clever takes on some familiar themes.

Go on genius.com or something or look up some info on the ideas behind the songs; there's some good stuff in there.
>>
>>60924835
I guess Panda Bear is just particularly relateable to me and only me. Or you just don't get it.
>>
File: SeeFu Lilac.jpg (973 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
SeeFu Lilac.jpg
973 KB, 1200x1200
>>60924897

See for me Avey is much more relateable. I also generally prefer his lyrical style to panda's, although I really like the whole simple way of expressing things panda does.

On a side note, Tom Fec X AnCo crossover album when?
>>
>>60924773
Songwriting on PBvsGR is fine, it's meant to be repetitive. Maybe I just listen to too much techno and that sort of thing doesn't bug me. I though his synth work was really inspired on the album, just really shimmering and pristine and colorful, and rhythmically it's one of his strongest outings (though his drum sample choice on Crosswords was a bit obvious). The factors that I mentioned and the melodies are so strong that it works for them to almost stew in themselves, so I don't think it's essential that the album progress in a linear fashion or even necessarily build momentum through the repetition.
>>
>>60924554
You must be a fucking retard. PP is the last consistently good release by Panda, and his lyricism is honestly the most vapid aspect of his music. I know I'm being mean. I don't care. Honestly shit fans like you are the reason bands get dumber over time. Not that the intellectual aspect of music is all important, but it's definitely somewhat important if you don't want to be releasing formulaic, dead, boring music. Grim Reaper is terrible.

>>60924564
Get fucked, the only people that like Grim Reaper are people that care more about chillwave aesthetic than about the songwriting upon which the aesthetic should be secondary to. Tomboy is passable, I'll give you that, but otherwise his output since MPP era has been akin to Paul McCartney post Ram. Uninspired fluff.

I'm not as mad as I sound.
>>
>>60924962
Fair enough m8
>>
>>60924988
Not everyone puts a lot of stock in lyrics mate
>>
Noah is a one trick pony and it's really easy from hearing his solo work that he brings most of the "atmosphere" to anco's sound.
Seriously. It sounds cool as shit but it's just reverb-washed chanting recorded over some weird samples and synths.

Horrible at songwriting but he doesn't have to be good. That's what Avey is for
>>
Does anyone here have a favourite AnCo live album they would like to share?

I've been listening to this one with an extended version of Loch Raven, really digging it.

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/animal_collective/live___arts_place_in_lexington__ky__4_30_05_/
>>
>>60925104
Or bootleg, I should add
>>
person pitch is fuckin expensive on amazon so I'm not gonna buy it
>>
>>60924988
>akin to Paul McCartney post Ram. Uninspired fluff
Ever heard of Band on the Run???
>>
>>60925201
>buying music
ok, so torrent it
>>
>>60925221
noooo i need the cd but they only had grim reaper at hmv and i'm not gonna buy that
>>
>>60925241
What the fuck?
>>
>>60925275
fuck the what
>>
>>60925051
generally i agree, but his songwriting on mpp was fantastic imo.
>>
>>60925296
Dos Guevaras
>>
>>60924867
>>60924979
It's not just that he's repetitive over one song, it's that he's failed to really progress over his discography in general. That said, the redundancy is the bigger problem. His lyricism seems to have a two syllable word max most of the time, I personally think many of them are thematically obvious or shallow, the rhyme schemes are always bland (i.e. this phrase ends with time, let's end the next four verses with try, vibe, lies, crime, sign, dime, pine, find, etc.), and it's basically just not poetic or creative. The best I can say about them is that sometimes they're ambiguous, but even then the other criticisms still stand.

Not that it's always been this way.

Not that this is always fair, but here's some lyrics today:

Sheep dog
Been nipping at your heels all day
Sheep dog

Tsk tsk tsk

Leapfrog
Don't have a way to stay in line
And so you're mine

So close
As gentle as a sleeping baby boy

You can see a sheep where she lay
You can keep a temptress at bay
To break what's in the DNA
You should lead them to a new place
Cocoon a space to say so simply
Fool these ugly thoughts what are they

And here are some lyrics from Young Prayer:

I will be in my mind and
Be upon my life
We'll be the same
And this will be the same
Must the world let go of you?
You're mine
You're mine
Yourself
You're somewhere
Young cries
This is how we'll speak to you
This is how you'll know me

That song is on the same topic, but it's much better musically and lyrically than Tropic of Cancer, which everybody seems to tout as his masterpiece. Idk, it's just a chore to listen to him when you already know the whole song within the first minute, and his lyrics are so bad.
>>
>>60924653
Dumb weeaboo
>>
>>60925241
they don't even sell animal collecrive or panda bear at any other store I went to except for panda bear meets the grim reaper so I had to buy their albums online, which was expensive
>>
>>60925220
He definitely has some good stuff post Ram, I'll agree, but there's a looooot of bad too.

I hope you're Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime.
>>
>>60925381
that's just, like, your opinion man.
>>
bros is his best song
>>
File: Hikigaya Hachiman.jpg (478 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Hikigaya Hachiman.jpg
478 KB, 900x1200
;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiACFlHZ1IA
>>
>>60925454

that's not good girl/carrots

>>60925460
meant for>>60925382
>>
I don't like person pitch. AnCo is better for me.
>>
>>60925381
i simply do not care about lyrics when it comes to panda bear, really. or anyone, for that matter.

that being said, he should shake out his formula and make a true leap artistically - i agree with you there. he seems to have some ambition and desire to try something new (the atp festival was purely inspired hip-hop and dance bangers), but i think he lacks a lot of confidence or is hesitant when it comes to executing these ideas (said bangers morphed into the same old, same old "chill" pbear sound). something that sonic boom said on ca was really alarming to me, and that was that domino actually has some input in the creative direction of the tracks. i know that happens to many artists, but still that's fucked up imo. panda bear just needs to trust his own instincts and not let people get involved in his work (compromising it in the process) so much.
>>
>>60925615
Why don't you care about lyrics? It's part of the art, and can be used to enhance (or detract) from the experience. Does this mean you don't care for any hip hop, or lyric-focused musicians like Bob Dylan or Jeff Mangum?
>>
>>60925742
i mean, i guess i can appreciate them in a more "objective" or poetic sense. but speaking personally, they just don't resonate with me desu. what words "mean" to people has to do with their biographical experiences and a whole network of lifelong contexts. language has always been very fallible imo, there's just no way a word or a signifier can be so concrete or encapsulate all the nuances of human thought or qualia - when someone describes something, i'll sometimes not understand what they mean, because i do not relate to or view it in the same way. this extends to music. i find it easier to relate to music which allows me to create my own meaning based on a mood or atmosphere rather than having to be subjected to and comprehend the emotional logic people display through lyrics. i realize how autistic this sounds :)

i like plenty lyrically based music just so long as they do not rely on ONLY the lyrics. young prayer, for example. the lyrics you posted earlier are nice but do not move me just reading them now. but noah is able to imbue extra meaning to these words, even transcend them when he pours himself and voice into them, and i only then do i truly "understand" what he's trying to convey.
>>
>>60926140
So are you saying you don't like written poetry or literature? It's not about objectivety either, although there is a point to which you don't want the language to be obvious or trite. The act of using words to convey an idea or feeling indirectly.

I love this life in winter time
There's frost cakes in the carpet
In winter time I have no legs
Two stumps of meat below me
A false snow fall could ruin my day
Its mask hung from the street wire
And winters love
Where could she be
She's warming in my pocket

Just a calm and modern day
Getting up early every morning
Rush to work then rush to bed
Am I a better person?
Evening, I wont give up
The box is better said
I pulled the boy out of his box
And made that boy a man

Regardless of the music's ability to emphasize or enhance the lyricism, these lyrics don't evoke images, feelings or thoughts? It seems like you willingly disregard language, when if you were to embrace its place within art, language is potentially as meaningful and emotional and intellectual as any other medium.

Not to mention maybe the most fundamental of all communication between people, the art of conversation, which we're engaged in right now. I basically think that art is any means through which humans express and communicate ideas and emotions.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.