[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were Nirvana just a ripoff of Hüsker Dü?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
Were Nirvana just a ripoff of Hüsker Dü?
>>
>>60904052
nirvana were just a shitty ripoff of melvins and sonic youth
>>
Nirvana were a ripoff of Pixies.
>>
i like nirvana
>>
File: angelfire.png (51 KB, 841x400) Image search: [Google]
angelfire.png
51 KB, 841x400
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/singsing/official3.html
>>
>>60904052
Listening to Nirvana when they first came out, pre-Nevermind, was like a game of spot the influences.

He's one that was WAY better then they were.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PImYNoVrsl0
>>
if spiderland was written by nirvana everybody here would hate it
>>
File: 1449325215677.png (132 KB, 312x284) Image search: [Google]
1449325215677.png
132 KB, 312x284
>>60904382
this is why tripcode filtering exists
>>
>>60904465
k
>>
>>60904353
Woah this is really cool, thanks for showing me it Anon
>>
>>60904052
>>60904068
>>60904176
>influenced by = ripping off
epic

Nirvana sounds nothing like any of those bands except Melvins, and only on Bleach.

Teen Spirit might have been Cobain's conscious attempt at writing a song in the Pixies' trademark style but that doesn't mean it sounds like a fucking Pixies song, it absolutely doesn't

I don't even like Nirvana THAT much but you made me type this you fucking IDIOTS
>>
>>60904353
Britt Walford was nine years old when he played drums here?
>>
no.
>>
>>60904590
IIRC it was Ben Daugherty on that track. Saw him a few years later playing with The Lemonheads and he was fucking incredible. Anyways, as for Britt, They were all in highschool at the time so he should have been 16-17.
>>
File: stevealbini1.l.jpg (63 KB, 465x700) Image search: [Google]
stevealbini1.l.jpg
63 KB, 465x700
REM with a fuzzbox
>>
>>60904543
You're welcome. This band is a big reason why i never really took Nirvana that seriously years ago.

Here's something for everyone.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D0ql89Q8Po

Enoy!
>>
>>60904860
Hero
>>
>>60904566
This.
>>
>>60904860
So you discovered this band before you came across Nirvana or did you grow up in the eighties?
>>
>>60906206
Grew up in the 80s.
>>
>>60906206
I remember the first Nirvana gig in my town. Drew 70 people and opinion was they were "all right" Just another band doing what was going on up in Washington at the time. Basically punk+70s hard rock.
>>
>>60904730
This is most accurate
>>
>>60904382
"haha no"
I love Nirvana but this is simply not true
>>
>>60904353
>>60904860
>>60906495
>there are people actually like this
Gross.
>>
>>60907012
Nirvana fanboy detected.
>>
>>60906495
this, nirvana were just like every punk band around, just as mediocre as the next, whilst you have to admit kurt cobain as written some great songs but you have to wonder why it was nirvana who shot to mega fame and not another band
>>
>>60904353
why have i never heard this before this is amazing
>>
>>60904860
people like you are the reason i still come to this shithole. thanks oldfag anon
>>
>>60904382
Seriously doubt Cobain could have even written Spiderland.
>>
>>60907078
If that was true we wouldn't still be talking about them now

Also
>punk
>>
>>60907279
Always glad to show what was going on back in the day.
>>
>>60904860
One of the most mediocre sounding things I've heard all day. No wonder they were forgotten.
>>
>>60907393
dude can I suck your dick pls
>>
>>60907393
Don't quit your day job.
>>
Nirvana never pretended to be original. They knew full well they were an amalgamation of other acts that came before them, some that the mainstream had ignored and some that were way more tongue in cheek (dat Blue Oyster Cult riff). That's why Cobain name checked everybody and tried to help out others wherever he could. More than that, they embraced it. They were ironic about it. That's why it worked. That's why its 1991: The Year Punk Broke. That's why it's Nevermind with a baby and a dollar bill. They knew they had made a power pop record. It's Cheap Trick doing The Melvins and The Pixies. Not a Kurt fan boy here, just another oldfag who was there. You can't imagine what it was like when Nevermind came out. Nirvana went from someone whose first record was in your collection and was just okay/not that great/not your favorite to something that suddenly every asshole at your high school were into. It was super weird. There had never been anything even remotely like that on mainstream radio or video up to that point. Check the charts. It was just the perfect thing at the perfect time more than anything. There were way too many people who had grown up latchkey kids/kids of divorce/drug kids/neglected kids etc and way too big of an underground for something like that not to finally hit. If it wasn't Nirvana, it would have been someone else before too long. Tl;dr Nirvana were sort of a socioeconomic phenomenon too.
>>
>>60907925
Plus the new songs were fucking fantastic. That helped.
>>
>>60907925
This for sure. As far as the mainstream it was something really new and different. I never took the seriously but they blew the minds of those that weren't familiar with the "left of the dial"
>>
>>60904382
Truth.

Most of Nirvana's stuff is better than a lot of their underground contemporaries of the time.

Pavement are a complete and shameless rip off of the post hardcore, punk and noise scenes that preceded them. But no one gives a shit because Pavement weren't huge like Nirvana.
>>
>>60908217
OP here, Pavement are one of my favourite bands (Nirvana are too, didn't make this thread out of hate) could you give me some examples of artists of those genres you think Pavement ripped off? I would like to listen because I love husker du and think they inspired Nirvana a lot
>>
>>60908389
>I love husker du and think they inspired Nirvana a lot
Husker du inspired just about everyone back then in one way or another.

Since you like husker you should check this out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLRAwn6DdnM
>>
>>60904190
why did this make me laugh so hard
>>
>>60908478
Thanks a lot, didn't expect to find so much new music when I made this thread!
>>
>>60908478
Thank you based anon.
>>
Kurt knew how to sing. He had a great voice. None of their supposed predecessors could make that claim. The vocals in a lot of those bands were blurred into the background amidst wailing chords. Nirvana never played like that. The riffs were direct, simple and heavy, with Kurt's gnarled John Lennon vocals high above all else in the mix. A lot of bands vocal melodies usually just cop the guitar lines and can be simplistic, but Kurt's were inventively superimposed over the chords in often unique, memorable ways. That is a big reason why Nirvana was successful. You listen to a lot of people covering Nirvana songs and they never sound close - the guitar riffs are easy to replicate, but the vocals can only come from Kurt.
>>
>>60908554
You're welcome. Every time i go to gigs these days i'm always hooking someone up with stuff from back then. From 85 to 95 i was going to gigs nonstop and was a dedicated record collector and tape trader.
>>
>>60904052
Daily Reminder than Eddie Vedder is the most influential Singer ever
>>
>>60909259
Daily reminder that no matter how hard you try to force it, your meme is shit
>>
>>60909259
>>60909259
This
>>60908792
kurt Cobain vocal style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK72bHiqM-Q
>>
>>60909376
Holy shit, never thought about that.
>>
File: QONVIyz.gif (2 MB, 331x197) Image search: [Google]
QONVIyz.gif
2 MB, 331x197
>>60909376
>but the vocals can only come from Kurt.
>>60909376
>>
>>60904353
squirrel bait, more like "spot the bait" amirite
>>
>>60910860
Nah, it's spot on.
>>
>>60908196
Record store employee that teenaged me looked up to handing me a copy of Bleach, "Here. You should get this. They're totally full of shit but at least they know it."

After they hit it big, no one in the mainstream got that it was a joke. A good joke, a funny one, but still a joke.
>>
>>60912567
Epic. Simply epic.
>>
>>60912567
LOL!

Makes one wonder how much more they would have continued since for Kurt the fun was totally gone. There are some musicians that hate what they do but "It's a living" and others just say fuck it and stop.

Oh well.

Anyways, here is another influence on Nirvana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwI9bEIm-bs
>>
Bumping for the hell of it.
>>
Nirvana was a ripoff of Pixies, Sonic Youth, and R.E.M. and by ripoff I mean inspired by, just like all bands are inspired by other bands.
>>
>>60908389
I heard they ripped off swell maps pretty hard
>>
I think Kurt and Bob (and Greg) just liked the same groups. Kiss, Beatles, the folkies, Punk. Their music paralleled that natural culmination of good taste.
Lyrical hard rawk augmented by melody and self flagellating sensitivity.

Had Kurt ever matured, the parallels would be more obviou. Sadly he never really reached Zen. On a related note, Foo Fighters really do sound like a Sugar rip off.
>>
They were pretty much a mixture of various mid-late 80s underground influences:

Husker Du.
Meat Puppets.
Black Flag.
The Vaselines.
The Melvins.
The Pixies.

... And I'm sure many more.
>>
>>60916827
>Foo Fighters really do sound like a Sugar rip off.
You really think so? I was big into Husker Du but was never much of a Sugar fan. They were alright but it just wasn't what i was looking for. Have never been into Foo Fighters but i can't see the link. Can you elaborate on it?
>>
>>60904382
> No
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.