[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the musical trade mark of the 2000's? Has the current
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1437966146536.jpg (377 KB, 1325x1325) Image search: [Google]
1437966146536.jpg
377 KB, 1325x1325
What is the musical trade mark of the 2000's? Has the current generation of youth simply fallen into complacency, creating mashups or adhering to nostalgia for older styles? Is there truely any music you could say definitely came from the 2000's ?
>>
>>60900328
>What is the musical trade mark of the 2000's?

Indie rock mostly and hip hop

>Is there truely any music you could say definitely came from the 2000's ?

um yes

kid a, funeral, madvilliany, mpp........ wtf r u doing
>>
>>60900352
>Indie rock
>hip hop
>>>thinking those genres are from the 2000's
>>
>>60900376
hes asking for the trademark and thats what it is for the 00s, bitch
>>
>>60900384
>adhering to nostalgia for older styles
>older styles
>implying hiphop and indie rock are newer styles
>implying you're not just samefagging
>>
>>60900376
Hip hop especially evolved a lot since 2000. Today's style of hip hop is distinctly different from that of the 20th century
>>
>>60900447
But isn't that just a mashup of older styles? It's become a mixture of older hiphop and electronic music from 90s.
>>
>>60900401
>>60900447
>>60900458

Wtf is this thread even about? Yes music evolves and changes and takes influence from older artists/generations etc this is common knowledge

it is a shitty criticism to say the current years music is nothing but ripping off older material. its always been that way, theres new interesting music pretty much everywhere why are you complaining
>>
>>60900458
Run the jewels comes to mind, specifically darling don't cry. Its modern, fresh.
>>
>>60900512
There might be a few fresh pieces, but what is the overall 'new' feature or trademark for this music? Given that we have so many new tools for making new music, you'd think we would have much more exploration, but all that seems to have appeared is monotonous beats. Based on how music is produced electronically, the basis tends to be a repeated loop of a beat, much like electronic music from the 90's. Admittedly, hip hop uses this in a creative way, sometimes using it as a way to express stuckness and frustration. The inherent rigidity of the musical format becomes a metaphor for an alienated modern life mired in urban poverty. But it's not new. Almost every generation has created new genres that explore a new direction. Ours hasn't yet. You could probably sit someone down in a room and play a variety of obscure music and they would probably be able to pinpoint the older ones, but the 2000's music would be mixed in there. There isn't an identifying feature to it. Blues, jazz, rock, metal. Those all had a particular moment in time when they were the defining features. What is our defining feature of music?
>>
>>60900500
Music evolving and changing is what I'm looking for. I don't see much original content or novel ideas in the music of today. We don't have a new style pertaining to this era. With the rise of the internet, musical culture has become much more stilted. Samples are taken without context and communication about new media is broken and fragmented. There's no wave.
>>
>>60900623
It sounds like you're expecting it to happen all at once but progressions like that always take time. Jazz/blues kinda started it alm but even that derived from something. And then it slowly developed into rock which slowly diversified into other genres.

Electronic music was the first major innovation in a long time, but it's as diverse, if not more so, than non-electronic music has ever been. And that took time.

To me bands like boards of Canada are the closest thing to what you've described in terms of what you want to see from electronic music.
>>
>>60900751
I mean you say it happened slowly. And I'll agree, on the scale of decades probably. But if you look back, you can probably define about 1 or 2 new genres or styles from each decade. We've finished our 2000's and we're on our way to finishing 2010's. How long does this slump need to last for?
>>
Still not sure what you're getting at other than "muh 90s kid music was so much better".
ALL music, is an imitation of earlier forms, including Gregorian chants +church music and eventually classical/jazz. This includes your favorite band or artist.
>What is the musical trade mark of the [INSERT GENERATION]? Has the current generation of youth simply fallen into complacency, creating mashups or adhering to nostalgia for older styles? Is there truely any music you could say definitely came from [INSERT GENERATION]
>>
>>60900811
It's possible it's just an American slump. Maybe we'll see new music take the world on a global scale that isn't amero-centric. But if there's some hints of that, I'd like to see it.
>>
>>60900839
Musical trademark. Something that is definitive in quality and relatively consistent that differentiates music in a period from music in other periods. That is the definition I'm using here. This has nothing to do with '90's kid music'.
>>
>>60900872
Do you think mashups are the musical trademark of this decade?
>>
>>60900811
Honestly I don't think we're in any sort of slump. I don't think any of the people in the 70s 80s etc knew what their defining innovation was, as it was happening. Its always something we determine years after the fact.
>>
>>60900938
But we can look back at the 90's and clearly identify a musical genre that emerged. Why can't we do that for the 2000's?
>>
>>60900964
Because music has moved on since the 90s but hasn't yet moved on from our current state because this is the present. Once it moves on again we'll be able to say the same thing
>>
>>60901072
I don't know. The musical movements in past have been named and current. Rock and jazz come to mind. The artists for those movements knew their genre and were actively creating it.
>>
>>60900964
It's all a matter of having the perspective and only time will give you that.
>>
>>60901115
Name a genre that only was named after it was fully developed.
>>
>>60901106
It's just like evolution. Everything changes little by little until all of the sudden you have something markedly different. Jazz didn't become rock overnight. You're trying to analyze today's era from a historical perspective but its not really the history yet. Artists today are pushing the boundaries and innovating, just like they always have been. Time will tell which ones will stick and what this progression will look like.
>>
Unfortunately, the closest things are probably pop punk and dubstep. That's what stands out in my mind at least
>>
>>60900328
There was that period in the middle of the two thousands when Garage Rock / Post punk was really popular

Interpol
Bloc Party
White Stripes
Arctic Monkeys
Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
>>
>>60901904
Oh fuck I forgot the obvious one

The Strokes
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.