[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I decided to sit down and listen through a couple St. Vincent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: saint-vincent-1flow.jpg (164 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
saint-vincent-1flow.jpg
164 KB, 750x500
and find out whether or not she is a talented musician or cancerous waifucore.

And the overwhelming answer is waifucore, or "quirky" hipster bait. Yet to find a single worth while song from her.

Nothing but simple/plain songs with some "obscure" and offbeat tune slapped ontop so people who know nothing about music think she's artistic.

And here I was thinking grimes was the worst case of waifu virgins overrating a talentless hack.
>>
Well that's okay
>>
Dear diary,

Today I made a thread on /mu/ criticising a beautiful, eloquent and talented woman.

It was a good day.
>>
>>60895118
>And here I was thinking grimes was the worst case of waifu virgins overrating a talentless hack.

you dont even like visions?
>>
>>60895118
honesty its hard to deny St. Vincent isn't a talented musician. With that said her music has always come off as too edgy for me
>>
You're wrong but that's okay
>>
>>60895118
>So I decided to sit down and listen through a couple St. Vincent albums.
you've hated her all along haven't you
>>
>>60895145

The "demo" mix of realiti was probably her best track behind genesis or oblivion but even then she is barely worth mentioning.
>>
>>60895159
*hard to deny she is* hehe
>>
>>60895182
but, but, what about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwavkax8o3U
>>
>>60895118
>Pleb

funny cuz it's true
>>
File: 1447987184694.jpg (1 MB, 2796x2048) Image search: [Google]
1447987184694.jpg
1 MB, 2796x2048
>>
>>60895245

her hair isn't very funny here, I don't like this picture.
>>
she is entry level indie waifucore; only popular because of her rare jewish qt face
>>
>>60895200

>pin
>not kill v maim

ok but whatever senpai baka desu
>>
>>60895403
both are good pin is just overall an objectively better song. The only good part about Kill v Main is the "B-E-H-A-V-E ARREST US!" part
>>
>>60895118
Thank you. Finally someone with an opinion that isn't retarded.
>>
>>60895431
>"B-E-H-A-V-E ARREST US!"

isnt it "B-E-H-A-V-E AGGRESSIVE!"?
>>
File: STOP_sign.jpg (787 KB, 1389x1500) Image search: [Google]
STOP_sign.jpg
787 KB, 1389x1500
>>60895118
>listen to st. vincent once
Before criticizing her, why don't you actually listen to her music more than once? It took me some listens to like her music.
>>
>>60895491
No, an anonymous contributor to Rap Genius listed it as "arrest us" and so that's now the official lyric
>>
>>60895349
>entry level
You must be kidding. Tell me similar artists to her (male or female), that have the same kind of voice, songwriting, guitar playing, guitar tone, lyrics, concerts, and so on.
>>
Annie Clark:

>actual talent
>has a pleasant & expressive voice
>multi-instrumentalist: guitar, bass, piano, keyboards, synthesizer
>interesting lyricist
>great look and personality
>collaborated with David Byrne, The Chemical Brothers, Swans, The National, and others
>sang live with Nirvana (the remaining members), Wire, The Polyphonic Spree, Sufjan Stevens and Taylor Swift
>highly acclaimed music (see Metacritic for details)
>won a Grammy (Best Alternative Album) for her self-titled album
>insane live performances
>a great balance between quirky and accessible
>she knows how to do a football rainbow kick: https://vimeo.com/85067428
>>
Anyone know radio havana's phone number I couldn't fine it on google
>>
>>60895620
correct
>>
>>60895629
you actually just reinforced OPs point even more
>>
i have a way determing if music is good which involves dissociative dosages of cough medicine. in that way i am closer to seeing the objective version of it; absent of my personal views. st vincent is terrible
>>
>>60895118
>Nothing but simple/plain songs with some "obscure" and offbeat tune slapped ontop so people who know nothing about music think she's artistic.
True to your tripcode, you're a pleb. These songs do nothing to you because you're too limited intellectually. If people who know nothing about music think she's artistic then the professional critics who acclaimed her music also know nothing about music?
>>
>>60895690

Let me guess, OKcomputer is the single greatest album ever made? Because if we're following these all knowing critics on pitchfork it is.
>>
>>60895678
How? The OP called her talentless hack, waifucore, or "quirky" hipster bait. That pasta proves that St. Vincent is actually talented and the OP is a mere pleb that expect to enjoy her music without any effort from his side.
>>
>>60895707
OKC is just a 7/10 IMO. Also not just P4K rated St. Vincent highly, but most professional critics. And even if these critics would hate her, I would still rate her highly.
>>
>>60895707
You twat, there are some albums which are objectively more worthwhile to listen to than others. It's why music critics exist in the first place.
>>
>>60895707
By the way, what St. Vincent albums did you listen?
>>
>>60895717
talent doesnt = good. Her music is literally just piles upon piles of overly edgey garbage made to appeal to young 'indie' teenagers with shit taste. There are plenty of people in the music business who are very talented but make absolute shit music.
>>
Why is she wasting her guitar talent on all that shit meme music?
>>
>>60895717
>collaborated with
>great look
>personality
>Grammy
>quirky
>football rainbow kick

these are ALL bullshit reasons. At no point did you say her music was good
>>
>>60895814
>talent doesnt = good.
True. But those critics didn't review her talent, but the actual music. And she consistently is rated very high.

And just because you don't get her music that doesn't mean her music is trash. Maybe you're one of the young 'indie' teenagers with shit taste that don't understand her music and you're mad because of that.
>>
>>60895832
I didn't post that pasta, but anyway...

These aren't bullshit reasons, bro. They're all music related. Also it seems that you didn't see these facts:

>multi-instrumentalist: guitar, bass, piano, keyboards, synthesizer
>highly acclaimed music (see Metacritic for details)

Plus these subjective opinions:
>insane live performances
>interesting lyricist
>has a pleasant & expressive voice
>>
>>60895856
all i read was "a bunch of people with an exaggerated sense of self importance said it was good so it must be good."
>>
>>60895972
If my opinion doesn't count, if the critics' opinions don't count, if the general consensus doesn't count, then how could I convince you that her music is great? If you don't like her music, nothing can change your subjective opinion and this discussion is a waste of time.
>>
>>60895118

you're dumb.

i dont give a fuck about waifucore or majority of new trendy shit posted here.
im not even a huge st vincent fan.
but i saw her guitar technique.
it was enough for me to download her
first album.

you're a dumb fuck on a board with an opinion.
she creates interesting music.
and shes a great guitarist.
dead serious. ive never been that impressed
by a female guitarist.
>>
>>60896056
>it was enough for me to download her first album.
How about the other albums? Did you listen to them?
>>
>>60895118
The irony: if Annie Clark would have been ugly she would be taken more seriously as a musician on these boards. Just look at those charts with pleb/patrician female musicians where the pleb ones are beautiful (and considered waifucore) and the patrician ones are those more plain or ugly.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.