[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why has every analog drum machine invented in recent decades
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 960x768
Why has every analog drum machine invented in recent decades sounded like total ass?

Particularly snares and claps, holy fuck they're so lifeless and just... it just sounds like static with a wide envelope on an amp, doesn't sound like a snare or clap at all like they used to.

What's the point of making analog gear if they're not even trying to make it sound good
>>
>>60893813
the Tempest is good

Most music gear nowadays is made to ensnare teenagers and simpletons into buying pointless crap boxes though
>>
>>60893813
but plenty are fine. cheap shit like you posted sound like ass though
>>
>>60893900
I just got a prophet 08 but I thought the tempest sounded kinda weak too. But the prophet 08 is fucking amazing

>>60893947
Then where are the expensive ones? Only one I knew of is the tempest actually

I never saw any others cost anywhere near that much that aren't vintage
>>
>>60894036
>Then where are the expensive ones?
Jomox Xbase 999
Elektron analog rytm
vermona drm1
MFB Tanzbar
>>
>>60894099
Only the analog rytm sounds half decent imo and I heard the workflow is retarded

I think I'm just gonna get a vintage one
>>
>>60894211
What type of music do you make? All of those are banging, the 999 hits harder than an actual 909.
>>
>>60894273
yeah it sounds abrasive... and generic

i think im gonna try to get an old tr 707
>>
>>60894754
the 707 is 12 bit samples, not analog familia.
>>
>>60894776
so if i just load its samples into a sampler i basically have one already?

it doesnt somehow magically do a better job of transposing pitch or anything right?

aside from maybe having more of a lo fi sound some people might prefer... right?

no wonder they're selling for so cheap
>>
>>60894809
The 707 doesn't have any editable parameters. You're honestly better off with samples because you can pitch them. Also some sounds cut each other off on the 707 like the clap and tambourine or the rim shot and cowbell.
>>
>>60893813
the EFM clap of my machinedrum can sounds dope tbqh lad.
it's not analog though
>>
>>60893813
cause it's REAAAL maaaaan
>>
>>60894847
Lol oh ok thanks I can't believe I never realized that. Or I forgot.
>>
tqhwy I have a Rhythm Wolf and I love it. I use it when I need muh drums to be dirty af family, run dat shit through a bunch of compression/saturation/distortion/overdrive

In my personal opinion spending a lot of $$ for a drum machine is absolutely retarded. To me, being able to control minute aspects of sounds that I can just download and load on a drum rack and knowing that 90% of people won't be able to tell whether my drums came from an elektron machine or a 909 sample pack makes me happy with my little shitty drum machine.

having said that, I might cop a used analog rytm simply because I own an A4 and I like the elektron workflow. But imho spending all that dosh on a drum machine is retarded. I'd spend it elsewhere first
>>
>>60895031
owning a piece of hardware is more of a satisfaction. i'd die happy with a 909 in my hands and i would be buried with it. but realistically it's just an expensive outdated box and any decent sample pack makes it useless
>>
Dumb question here (Im new into beat making and stuff).

Can't u just load some quality drum samples in ie, Ableton or Reason's Redrum? wouldnt that be better than using some of those drum machines OP says are crap?

What would be the difference if the samples u use are well recorded, from analog instruments?
>>
ITT OP is fucking retarded
>>
>>60895104
>>60896423
this and this.
In fact ALL drum machines suck with the exception of maybe one sound per machine.
The all praised 909 and 808 actually sucked but because they were available, had nice sequencing interface and the music was adapted to the sound they produced rather than viceversa, they're now considered holy.

unless you want the nice feel of pressing buttons and turning knobs, digital is better in every way.
If you want a standalone drum device that gives good sound but with live tweaking and nice knobs, get yourself a sampler and make awesome samples in audacity or ableton.
>>
>>60896944
I agree with this. Either get yourself a good sequencer-sampler like the new Electribe or stick a beatstep pro onto any existing multi-sampler.

If analog is your dig, the Novation Bass Station II is great for making drum sounds on - just sample and apply.
>>
>>60896944
im this >>60896423

im a total noob, but yeah... That is my "drum machine": ableton/reason + pad/controller. That way i also have the feels/control
>the nice feel of pressing buttons and turning knobs
>>
File: 1413921818236.jpg (9 KB, 179x215) Image search: [Google]
1413921818236.jpg
9 KB, 179x215
>>60893813
purely synthesized claps and snares have always sounded bad, analog or not.

have you been living under a rock? or are you literally 16 years old?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.