[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this so much worse than Low? Even title track is lacking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: heroes.jpg (368 KB, 1296x1300) Image search: [Google]
heroes.jpg
368 KB, 1296x1300
Why is this so much worse than Low? Even title track is lacking compared to anything from the first half of Low.
>>
Beauty and the Beast is a better song than anything on Low IMO.
>>
>V-2 Schneider
>Heroes
>Joe the Lion
>Blackout
>Secret Life of Arabia
>'lacking'
>>
the title track is his best song you dip
>>
>>60884352
It's his best album you retard. Why do you think Low is better?
>>
>>60884479
Because Pitchfork said it was the best album of the 70s.
>>
>>60884514
This is one of the rare instances of p4k being right
>>
>>60884352
It's better than Low but then again his whole early 70s period is better than Low/Heroes era
>>
>>60884626
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, you're a fucking tool
>>
>>60884626
Now that's what I call pleb
>>
>>60884514
fuck p4k
>>
>>60884666
Listen to heroes and then ziggy stardust faggot, scrap the shit out of your ears
>>
>>60884711
Ziggy Stardust isn't even the best of his glam period. Aladdin Sane is much better.
>but muh epic concept album!
>>
>>60884754
Aladdin Sane is also very good
>>
>>60884754
>>60884818
Here Come the Warm Jets is better than both though
>>
File: Station_to_Station_cover.jpg (69 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Station_to_Station_cover.jpg
69 KB, 300x300
>>60884479
>>60884538
It's time to stop talking, friends.
>>
File: DavidBowieScaryMonstersCover.jpg (25 KB, 298x300) Image search: [Google]
DavidBowieScaryMonstersCover.jpg
25 KB, 298x300
>>60884891
Yes, it is
>>
>>60884919
Good album but the second half has some fairly uninspired tracks.
>>
>>60884943
He didn't even write Wild is the Wind, and I always thought Stay and TVC15 were a bit cheesy. Still love the album.
>>
>>60884970
>He didn't even write Wild is the Wind
Why should that matter? His version of the song is incredible. And TVC15 is possibly the best track on the album imo.
>>
>>60884891
Title track is great and Golden Years and Stay are alright but the rest is forgettable

>>60884919
Top 5 Bowie album for sure
>>
>>60885050
>Word On A Wing
>forgettable
do u have a memory defect or something m8
>>
I've always thought "Heroes" was on the whole better than Low. The second half of Low is almost offensively dull. An okay experiment for popular music and Bowie but that's about it.
>>
>>60885689
Warszawa is a dreary overlong mess and Weeping Wall is kitschy as fuck, but Art Decade and Subterraneans are god-tier.
>>
heroes is a great fucking song
>>
>>60885904
for you
>>
>>60885689
>The second half of Low is almost offensively dull
Subterraneans is inspiring
>>
>>60885904
And it's not even the best on the album
>>
>>60884352
I agree OP. "Heros" always felt like an EP to me. Low and Lodger just felt more focused. Granted it's still a classic but highly overrated in my opinion. Why is Lodger so damn underrated? Not one bad song on that thing!
>>
>>60885050
>TVC-15
>forgettable

what the fuck are you doing?
>>
>>60884385
>better than Always Crashing In The Same Car
fucking hell no
>>
>>60887182
There are no bad songs, but only a few are as good as anything on the preceding two.

>>60887328
weakest track on Low desu
>>
>>60885689
>The second half of Low is almost offensively dull.
there is nothing dull about the second half. It's some of the best atmospheric music ever record. Nothing else has ever given me chills like those tracks, neither from Bowie or Eno in the rest of their catalog.
>>
>>60887378
>weakest track on Low desu
Horseshit. The weakest song on Low is Sound & Vision, and even that is a good track. How anyone can think a track with the lyrics:
>Jasmine, I saw you peeping
>As I pushed my foot down to the floor
>I was going 'round and 'round
>The hotel garage
>Must have been touching close to 94
>Oh, but I'm
>Always crashing in the same car
is beyond my comprehension.
>>
>>60887517
*is weak is beyond me
>>
File: bowiewhat.jpg (34 KB, 431x300) Image search: [Google]
bowiewhat.jpg
34 KB, 431x300
>>60887182

>Lodger
>Focused

>>60885050

>Stay, TVC15, Wild is The Wind
>Forgettable

>>60884754

>Aladdin Sane
>Better than Ziggy

>>60884352

>Heroes
>Worse than Low

What the fuck is going on in this thread.
>>
File: bowie is dismayed.jpg (64 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
bowie is dismayed.jpg
64 KB, 620x372
>>60887517
>The weakest song on Low is Sound & Vision
I can't fucking fathom what my eyes are perceiving
>>
>>60887641
You skipped the part where I said it's still a good song. The problem is that the lyrics to Sound & Vision don't create as great of a picture as the other songs on the album.
>>
I love marathoning the Berlin Trilogy so I'm always tempted to start Heroes after Subterraneans ends. That said, they are two albums with distinctly different feels. I love Heroes, it's side 1 contains a load of tracks that are more exciting than anything on Low and it's side 2 succeeds in being consistently cerebral with that awesome reawakening with Secret Life of Arabia at the end.

Lodger is underrated.
>>
>>60887719
>BLUE BLUE

the fuck u talking about
>>
>>60887849
The song was written when David hit writer's block. I'm not gonna deny that the song is great, and I think it speaks true volumes of David's talent that he was capable of writing a great song when he had no ideas, but I don't think the song has anything on these other songs where David HAD ideas.

But I can understand your outrage. It's how I feel about people who don't like Always Crashing In The Same Car. That song to me is magical like Sound & Vision is to you.
>>
>>60887946
I think every song on Low is magical apart from Warszawa and Weeping Wall. Warszawa because to me it sounds overly dramatic and it just doesn't have enough interesting musical ideas to justify its length, and Weeping Wall because it sounds like a really flimsy, superficial attempt at minimalism that just grates on me. I still like both of these songs but they'd easily rank at the bottom of the album for me because of these obvious flaws. If you took out those two, and maybe A New Career in a New Town, I honestly don't know where I'd even begin ranking the songs on Low quality-wise. Every one has its own unique charm.
>>
>>60888111
>Warszawa
>overdramatic
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. It's a good song no doubt, but Subterraneans takes the same "long, ambient track" idea and does it so much better.
>>
>>60888111
You had me until A New Career in a New Town.
>>
>>60885904
I
>>
Brian Eno > David Bowie
>>
>>60889187
Brian Eno & David Bowie > David Bowie > Brian Eno
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.