[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: discs which were influential for the development of a new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: Folder.jpg (131 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
131 KB, 750x750
ITT: discs which were influential for the development of a new music genre/style, but which were soon forgotten or overshadowed

Pic related is Days of Future Passed (1967) by the Moody Blues. I discovered this disc only recently, but when I first listened to it I was blown away by its rich arrangements and complexity. I always thought that King Crimson's first album was the starting point of the prog rock, but after listening to this album from the Moody Blues I had to change my mind.
>>
It was influential to the genre, but it wasn't the genre itself. Just in case.
Also, Gun's self titled had way more influence on Crimson's debut than Moody Blues.
>>
The Aphex Twins - Ambient Werkz 08-98

For electronic
>>
>>60874375
"I'll take things that utter plebeians say for 1000, Alex"
>>
>>60874349
>avant-math god-isms
>>
File: on the corner alternate.jpg (276 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
on the corner alternate.jpg
276 KB, 953x953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WenK0gPEuzI
Miles Davis' 70s work with Teo Macero was full of electronic experimentation with dark, repetitive funk works; the architecture of practically every modern day electronic musician. They stopped just short of making a dark breakcore track 20 years early. The albums were all great, but we didn't know the full extent of the experimentation until the 2000s when the complete on the corner collection was released.
Today, the direct influence of this music is felt only through unimaginative cover groups, new age burnouts, and dying Miles alumnis.
>>
File: Newton_rings.jpg (129 KB, 1505x1004) Image search: [Google]
Newton_rings.jpg
129 KB, 1505x1004
>>60874314

It is what we call an Out-of-place artifact

It is proof of time travel. Yep im serious. I have the SACD it is just impossible that it it could have been produced in 67. The stereo image is just perfect. The Producer is an enigma, he just disappeared and the following releases were garbage.

There were even books written about it. Google "The Music of Time" by Peter Moon. Seriously. The Album still freaks me out.
>>
>>60874626
Yes, I agree with everything you said. The production quality was really ahead of its time and the orchestral arrangements were amazing. Thank you for the book, I'll check it out. I'm listening to the other discs of the Moody Blues and I like them so far, but I agree with you that their production isn't as good as Days of Future Passed.
>>
>>60874626
Didn't all their albums have the same producer?
>>
File: Front.jpg (483 KB, 898x866) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
483 KB, 898x866
>>60874314
It's always OP here. I'm going to leave Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)'s words here, since they give an idea of how influential pic related was much better than I could do: "...We [Ritchie & Jon Lord] shared the same taste in music. We loved Vanilla Fudge - they were our heroes. They used to play London's Speakeasy and all the hippies used to go there to hang out - Clapton, The Beatles - everybody went there to pose. According to legend, the talk of the town during that period was Jimi Hendrix, but that's not true. It was Vanilla Fudge. They played eight-minute songs, with dynamics. People said, "What the hell's going on here? How come it's not three minutes?"... The whole group was ahead of its time..."
>>
>>60874375
no
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.